cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 mo old PC won't POST

MasterScythus
Level 7
So I just built my PC a little over a month ago and it's ran perfectly with no issues until today. Last night I did a little gaming and then let the PC go into sleep mode as usual. Before I go into more detail, my specs are:

Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition
Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151
Processor: Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz
Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000MHz
Gpu: Asus STRIX 1080 8GB
PSU: Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD x2, WD Blue 2TB HDD

So I have my mobo and gpu RGBs set up to just show temps. When my PC is in sleep mode, both usually show green. This morning, my GPU RGB was just flashing red (which is the default lighting) and that was odd. So I tried to wake my PC from sleep and nothing showed up on the monitor. I did a hard reset and my PC would not POST. No ASUS splash screen, no BIOS, nothing. Monitor would just go back into standby. Fans all running, mobo RGBs still worked as I had set them, GPU RGBs still pulsing red (default setting) and my Q code would actually show my temps momentarily before the PC would seem to go back into sleep mode.
I tried a CMOS reset, disco'd my GPU and no change. The PSU in there had a strange whine to it that started a couple weeks ago and after some research today, found it happened to a lot of people but I didn't see anything about that being a precursor to a PSU fail. I also started getting an A2 Q code "IDE Detect". I'm back at work right now so I can't mess with my PC at the moment but I'm kind of at a loss now. I'm not a PC guru and this was my first build. I did order a new PSU as I wanted a fully modular one and there is a chance this could fix it.
Any suggestions?

I've also read of an instance where the CMOS battery was changed and that was a fix as well as maybe a monitor cable issue (I use a displayport cable). Also I have seen possible SATA cables causing the problem. Just some things I have found searching but wanting to see if any of you have seen this.

I also just purchased a couple more SATA data cables so for now, I'll at least have those and a new PSU on hand.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi masterScythus

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Try reflashing/updating the bios with the bios flashback feature.

UPDATE:

So after getting home, I decided to disconnect the GPU and all the SATA cables. Turned off the PC and hit the CMOS reset on the back of the case. Started up and had the same issues. A2 Q code and no display on my monitor. For S&Gs, I wanted to see if trying an HDMI cable over my DisplayPort cable would work. It did. Was able to see my POST and went into BIOS. Set everything to default, hit save and exit. Turned off my PC. Reconnected everything and rebooted. POSTed, went into BIOS, applied the correct boot sequence and logged into Windows. Swapped back to my DisplayPort and my monitor went black with "No Signal". Tried the 2nd DP slot on my STRIX 1080 and still "No Signal".

Now, I have not mentioned it, but the monitor I have is the ASUS VG248QE. I did more research now to figure out my DP problem. After many things, I stumbled upon a YouTube video. Long story short, my PC going into sleep mode with that monitor and DP connected caused some error where the DP was no longer recognized even after multiple PC restarts. The fix is actually to shut down both the monitor and PC and removed the power plug on the back of the monitor for a couple minutes. Reconnect everything including the DP cable and everything is back to normal with my 144Hz refresh rate.

TL;DR - It seems I had a combination of a DisplayPort "No Signal" issue coupled with a hiccup issue causing the A2 Q code error but I wasn't able to fix until resolving my display issues. All seems right in the world for now.

*For Moderators on here, I don't know how many have had issues with DisplayPort "No Signal" with this specific monitor, but this seems to be an actual fix for it.

Might be a stupid question but here goes. Why the aversion to using the HDMI port?

mcleod52 wrote:
Might be a stupid question but here goes. Why the aversion to using the HDMI port?

The monitor I have is a 144Hz monitor. With HDMI you can only get a 60Hz refresh rate. DisplayPort will enable the 144Hz refresh rate to be utilized.

Nate152
Good to see you solved the problem.

Thank you for reporting your solution MasterScythus.