cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS-XS74K OC Edition Warning: Overclocked Failed Message.

jmike
Level 7
Straight out of the box my new G752 displayed big red rectangle message from the RoG Gaming Center that said: Overclock failed which was followed by the steps to enter BIOS and restore defaults. Steps I've taken to correct problem:

• Updated to BIOS v300
  • Updated Game Cetnter with version from Asus Support Page
  • Uninstalled Game Center then installed version from Asus Support Site
  • Uninstalled Game Center then installed version from esupport folder
  • Factory Restore so it's as it would have been out of the box except with BIOS 300

I can get rid of the message if I open task manager and force close RoG Gaming Center. Naturally leaving it uninstalled allows for normal use as well. The problem is without it running my XS74K might as well lose it's OC Edition label as the CPU only runs at 3.4-3.6 boost which I found odd since boost on the 7820HK should be 3.9.

Anyone have advice on where to go next?
MAIN RIG:
Maximus X | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | 2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | EVGA Supernova G3 1000 |
5 REPLIES 5

JustinThyme
Level 13
You can start by clarifying which machine you have. G752 covers a lot of ground.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

jmike
Level 7
I didn't realize there was more than one XS74K OC Edition. It's a G752VS-XS74K OC Edition.
MAIN RIG:
Maximus X | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | 2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | EVGA Supernova G3 1000 |

JMIKE,

I had this notebook weeks before it was released to the public (long story). I have had this issue since day 1.

My Thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91620-G752VS-XS74K-(Kaby-Lake-7th-Gen-Intel-Core)-Overheat...

This "rog community" has been extremely unhelpful. Asus support has been just as unhelpful. I installed the Intel XTU (don't use the Asus one, it is a few versions behind). I usually keep my CPU at x34 for best performance. Mine overheats if I leave the settings on "Extreme". Basically this unit is not what was sold to us.

Now, there will probably be a few comments about how "this community is helpful" or "your the issue" or whatever. But we both know all the info anyone needed was in the first post of yours (and mine). And all we get are questions for info that is already in the first post. No help, no answer.

I hate to tell you buddy, but we are on our own. I remember when ROG stood for something other then cheap plastic housing, STUPID speaker design (behind the screen, WHY?) and half assed implemented software (ROG Gaming Center). Don't even get me started on the pretty, but pretty terrible limited bios for a fully unlocked and overclockable notebook.

I am basically crossing my fingers for a bios update or a gaming center update.

Good luck. Sorry to poop on your thread. You seem like a nice guy and we both don't deserve to waste our good cash on this junk. But I am stuck. You may still be able to get out....lol!
The FresnoGamer
System: G752VS-XS74K

I have the same issue...that warning about overclocking showing on...even though i let it as it was...on extreme..i only end-task "TurboGearMessage"...when i start up my laptop...the ROG logo key doesn't work when pressing it...i have to manually open "LaunchROGGamingCenter.exe" and then when i press the ROG key the key works as it should...hitting "X" will close it and have to redo the steps...very annoying...what is interesting is that i have no problem with the other macro keys that i set for media long ago within the same app... G752VS-BA177T
MB = Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z info
CPU = AMD Fx-8350 Bios 2101info
RAM = Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2x8Gb) 2133 KHX21C11T3K2/16X info
GPU = Asus GTX 980 Matrix Platinum info
SSD = Kingston HyperX 3K 240Gb
HDD = WD 500Gb +WD 3x1TB(fzex)
PSU = Corsair AX760i info
CPU Cooler = Thermaltake Nic C4
Display = Sony KDL-32w706b info
Mouse = A4Tech Bloody Gun3 V7
Keyboard = SteelSeries APEX info

fresnogamer wrote:
JMIKE,

I had this notebook weeks before it was released to the public (long story). I have had this issue since day 1.

My Thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91620-G752VS-XS74K-(Kaby-Lake-7th-Gen-Intel-Core)-Overheat...

This "rog community" has been extremely unhelpful. Asus support has been just as unhelpful. I installed the Intel XTU (don't use the Asus one, it is a few versions behind). I usually keep my CPU at x34 for best performance. Mine overheats if I leave the settings on "Extreme". Basically this unit is not what was sold to us.

Now, there will probably be a few comments about how "this community is helpful" or "your the issue" or whatever. But we both know all the info anyone needed was in the first post of yours (and mine). And all we get are questions for info that is already in the first post. No help, no answer.

I hate to tell you buddy, but we are on our own. I remember when ROG stood for something other then cheap plastic housing, STUPID speaker design (behind the screen, WHY?) and half assed implemented software (ROG Gaming Center). Don't even get me started on the pretty, but pretty terrible limited bios for a fully unlocked and overclockable notebook.

I am basically crossing my fingers for a bios update or a gaming center update.

Good luck. Sorry to poop on your thread. You seem like a nice guy and we both don't deserve to waste our good cash on this junk. But I am stuck. You may still be able to get out....lol!

My g572vy-t7049t just came back 2 weeks ago 4th rma another mobo and fans modules fitted and new hood as they broke the fiitings my second mobo and fans modules fitted still throttling on extreme with fans on 100% even scratched the bottom of the case after last RMA 10 months of none stop headache with this machine i feel your pain will have to phone asus yet again the joys of owning a asus gaming laptop :mad: