cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Speed Control? BIOS vs AI Suite?

dlerium
Level 7
I ask this because like many others I prefer to have minimal software/boat running in the background and I have heard many people say stay away from AI Suite. But at the same time FanExpert seems pretty cool in how it calibrates and lets you adjust stuff easily.

A couple questions though:

• How do you guys control fan speed?
  • If I use AI Suite to setup a profile, do I need to have the app start at boot so my settings are applied? Does it only apply the profile after I get into Windows?
21 REPLIES 21

chevell65
Level 12
If you are going to use the AI Suite then be sure and install the latest Intel MEI drivers beforehand.

The AI Suite has an auto fan control set up that you have to run first but you can also adjust the fan profiles after that.
The Ai Suite also has basic auto overclocking of CPU and V-core which do adjust the bios settings.

You can also do some testing with the more detailed overclock settings within Windows to find out what makes it stable although those detailed settings won't save in bios so you would need to set those manually in bios after you find out if they help.

The fan profile applies after you get to Windows.

chevell65 wrote:
If you are going to use the AI Suite then be sure and install the latest Intel MEI drivers beforehand.

The AI Suite has an auto fan control set up that you have to run first but you can also adjust the fan profiles after that.
The Ai Suite also has basic auto overclocking of CPU and V-core which do adjust the bios settings.

You can also do some testing with the more detailed overclock settings within Windows to find out what makes it stable although those detailed settings won't save in bios so you would need to set those manually in bios after you find out if they help.

Gotcha, so maybe play around with the profiles in Windows, take that curve and then set it in BIOS and then I can get rid of AI Suite?

AISuite is a bug heaven, I do not recommend it. Bios is better and via BIOS you have also the auto fan configuration and full overclocking option.

chevell65 wrote:

Do you have to start AI Suite each time you boot into Windows for the profile to apply?

I too had the problem with AI Suite with my sabertooth z170s board BUT I was using all 3 pin fans and not only was AI Suite not scaling fan speeds properly with temps I also had an issue with it using way too many processes in the background. Now on my Z270 IX Code board I didn't want to take the chance again even though I am sure it is better so this time I opted for all PWM fans and did not install AI Suite and everything works flawlessly. Yes you have to change fan settings through BIOS only but I only overclock through BIOS only so its not much more of a task. I just leave my fans on Auto in the BIOS and it detects them as PWM, for aggressiveness cooling you could change them to Turbo from Standard but I find no additional cooling for 24/7 computing, maybe for heavy stress testing. There is also a calibration control setting in the BIOS too which is basically the same as the one in AI Suite but I havent experimented with that yet as what is working is fine.

dlerium wrote:
Do you have to start AI Suite each time you boot into Windows for the profile to apply?

AI Suite is set up to start with Windows.

chevell65
Level 12
The only bug with AI Suite was the fact that we were stuck using outdated Intel MEI drivers which did not work with the AI Suite.

There is no real reason to uninstall AI Suite at all because it works perfectly. In fact the fan control in AI Suite can't be matched by the bios fan control, not even close IMO.

chevell65 wrote:
The only bug with AI Suite was the fact that we were stuck using outdated Intel MEI drivers which did not work with the AI Suite.

There is no real reason to uninstall AI Suite at all because it works perfectly. In fact the fan control in AI Suite can't be matched by the bios fan control, not even close IMO.

This must be a joke...