cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XG Station 2 - Strix 1080ti - PG279Q - Dell XPS 15 (9550) disconnecting issues

desouk
Level 7
Hi there all,

I have been struggling to get the above setup to work consistently, but I can say when it does work it's amazing!

My 1080ti is connected to a PG279Q via Displayport.

My XG station seems to be disconnecting semi-randomly. It will be working one minute then disconnect suddenly crashing all tasks. The XG station will then either reconnect (having crashed all my GPU driven tasks), not reconnect but result in one of several driver errors in device manager or it will not reconnect and pretty much force me to hard reboot.

I have tried to troubleshoot myself, it seemed to be a power issue as my whole setup was plugged into a flimsy power strip. This seemed to fix it but today all issues returned in some variation.

It can happen at any time but seems to enjoy disconnecting when doing something graphically specific like opening Windows display settings or starting up a game. It's completely inconsistent though as these things work 75% of the time. It seems to have a particular hatred of EA's Origin and BF1 (can't say I blame it) but these things seem to fail more than work.

When removing the monitor from the equation and just using the laptop's display, the setup does seem stable but I do need to test this further to confirm.

Have any of the other XPS users on here had any similar problems or does anyone have any suggestions for tests I could run?

I feel like it's either the XG station or my laptop as the XG station was shipped from the UK to Taiwan over a week (though all packaging seemed fine) and the Dell XPS is unbelievably buggy.

Thanks in advance!
22 REPLIES 22

desouk
Level 7

Ok I managed to resolve this.

I did a 'Fresh Start' in Windows 10s 'Device performance & health' screen (Start > enter "Fresh Start")

I then used Guru3D's Display Driver Uninstaller to wipe my NVIDIA display drivers.

Rebooted and reinstalled drivers with the XG Station connected (no monitor plugged in).

Disabled the XPS 15's 960m dGPU.

Reattached monitor via DP. Have had perfect stability all day, hope it stays that way (touch wood).

Hope this can help anyone else having issues!

Correction: Issue was not resolved and returned. Upon further testing it seems that the setup is stable when using the laptops display but attaching an external monitor results in massive instability.

Any suggestions from ASUS?

BoutTime01
Level 7
This thing is a joke. It appears to be so quirky and difficult to set up and just doesn't work how it should. Why have Asus released this product? It's just not ready and quite possibly never will be.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hi BoutTime01,

So far with all the issues that has been reported on ROG forum, there is not one issue caused by the XG STATION 2. They are more toward driver/firmware/BIOS update on the host device. Please provide details of the failed configuration, and we will do our best to sort them out for you.

regards,

BoutTime01 wrote:
This thing is a joke. It appears to be so quirky and difficult to set up and just doesn't work how it should. Why have Asus released this product? It's just not ready and quite possibly never will be.

ASUS-OP wrote:
Hi BoutTime01,

So far with all the issues that has been reported on ROG forum, there is not one issue caused by the XG STATION 2. They are more toward driver/firmware/BIOS update on the host device. Please provide details of the failed configuration, and we will do our best to sort them out for you.

regards,

I'm going to have to agree in this instance too. The XG station 2 has been working completely fine and the suggestions here actually helpful and relevant. I always suspected it was the laptop. The fact that ASUS has made something that's fairly compatible with other systems and not some proprietary connector rubbish is the reason I bought the XG Station 2 and will continue supporting companies that do this.

So I did manage to fix this but not sure what the actual solution was so will list all my changes here:

• I noticed if I pulled the Dell power adapter out of my laptop while the XG Station 2 was running, it would disconnect. This lead me to believe that this is some kind of power saving / fluctuation issue.
  • Changed the C13 power cable from a Taiwanese (US) type (max 240v 10a) cable to a British (240v 13a) one - doubt this made any difference.
  • Disabled C states and Intel Speedstep in the Dell Bios.
  • Edited my Windows power plan and disabled anything that reduced power anywhere in the system.
  • Stopped using the dell power adapter and run my laptop from the power provided via the Thunderbolt 3 connector. My laptop seems to think that this is only a 60w input instead of a 100w input. Can Asus let me know what the situation with this might be? Either way the power is sufficient to run the CPU at full load as the 960m never needs to run.

I could go back and start changing things to work out exactly what was happening but honestly I'm just happy to have it working. I want to say it's probably because I stopped using the dell AC adapter but I'm sure I tried this before with no fix.

If anyone has any guesses on which of these may have been the key to solving this I would be interested to know.

This has been running for over 24hours with no issues whatsoever and am extremely happy! 😄

Now if ASUS can make a bezel-less ultrabook that can compete with the XPS...

ASUS-OP wrote:
Hi BoutTime01,

regards,

Hi ASUS-OP. I don't own an XG Station 2. I intended to buy one to partner my G752VT which has a GTX970 built in. But I cannot find any way to determine if the Thunderbolt 3 port/controller supports 40Gbit/s throughput. Some of the promotional material states upto 20 Gbit/s but some state 40 Gbit/s. Can you tell me how I can find this out as I'd previously assumed the limit of 20 was due to the fact that only passive cables were available at the the of release. I am running the latest Bios which apparently added support for dGPU.
Because of my interest I've read pretty much everything available on the internet about the XG Station 2 and seen a few video reviews. But it seems to be very problematic. My first hurdle is the TB3 throughput. Can you help me with this?

Hi BoutTime01,

The G752VT comes with GTX970m utilizing Nvidia Optimus Technology. According to the product page (https://www.asus.com/au/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VT/), its Thunderbol 3 has the link speed of up to 20Gbit/s. Hence yes, you will not get 100% of the performance of the XG STATION 2 on your notebook even if you made it working.

This platform is still quite young, which still requires a few tweaks from both Host (notebook/PAD/miniPC) and Client (XG-STATON 2 & GPU in it) to allow it to perform at its best. Unfortunately the suggested testing methods were not made available at the time of review, result in unexpected results in some cases.
It's a shame this is already the case. However, we will do our best to serve you to make sure the user experience of our customers are at their best shape.

regards,

BoutTime01 wrote:
Hi ASUS-OP. I don't own an XG Station 2. I intended to buy one to partner my G752VT which has a GTX970 built in. But I cannot find any way to determine if the Thunderbolt 3 port/controller supports 40Gbit/s throughput. Some of the promotional material states upto 20 Gbit/s but some state 40 Gbit/s. Can you tell me how I can find this out as I'd previously assumed the limit of 20 was due to the fact that only passive cables were available at the the of release. I am running the latest Bios which apparently added support for dGPU.
Because of my interest I've read pretty much everything available on the internet about the XG Station 2 and seen a few video reviews. But it seems to be very problematic. My first hurdle is the TB3 throughput. Can you help me with this?

ASUS-OP wrote:
Hi BoutTime01,

The G752VT comes with GTX970m utilizing Nvidia Optimus Technology. According to the product page (https://www.asus.com/au/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VT/), its Thunderbol 3 has the link speed of up to 20Gbit/s. Hence yes, you will not get 100% of the performance of the XG STATION 2 on your notebook even if you made it working.

This platform is still quite young, which still requires a few tweaks from both Host (notebook/PAD/miniPC) and Client (XG-STATON 2 & GPU in it) to allow it to perform at its best. Unfortunately the suggested testing methods were not made available at the time of review, result in unexpected results in some cases.
It's a shame this is already the case. However, we will do our best to serve you to make sure the user experience of our customers are at their best shape.

regards,

Thanks for getting back to me. But my understanding is that this laptop does not use Nvidia Optimistic Technology because the Intel Integrated Graphics are actually permanently disabled in the Bios and this cannot be changed. Can you confirm?

Also with regards to the TB3 port, yes I've seen the support page you provided a link for, but there are also Asus support pages for the G752VY (not VT), and some say upto 20Gigbits/s and some say upto 40Gibbits/s. From what I can see the manual for my G752VT does not mention the data rate of the TB3 port at all.

So my question is.....Rather than relying on an old support page written when only passive cables were available that supported upto only 20Gigbits/s, Is there a way to look at Device Manager or something, obtain a model number of the TB3 port/controller and then see for sure what speeds are supported?
Surely you have access to a more reliable source of information than the Asus Support Site?

Thanks again.

Hi BoutTime01,

1. Sorry, it was my bad. You are correct. I have not realize G752VT is a G-SYNC model. If it is G-SYNC model, then it will not support Nvidia Optimus.

2. Ideally G752VY is not the same model as G752VT. The difference is beyond my knowledge as I do not work for the ASUS system product team. There are some host devices that utilizes the Intel Thunderbolt 3 controller as USB 3.1 GEN2 controller only. In those cases XG STATION 2 will not work with it. You will see an error message saying "This Type-C oort is only support USB feature." under Intel Thunderbolt 3 Settings if your notebook happened to be one of those.

3. Based on the info on the product page of G752VY, it should have Thunderbolt 3, just limited to GEN3x2. (https://www.asus.com/au/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VY/Features/)

4. You can check using third-party applications such as HWInfo64. It will tell you which Thunderbolt 3 controller you have in the notebook by checking through the PCIE link info.

BoutTime01 wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me. But my understanding is that this laptop does not use Nvidia Optimistic Technology because the Intel Integrated Graphics are actually permanently disabled in the Bios and this cannot be changed. Can you confirm?

Also with regards to the TB3 port, yes I've seen the support page you provided a link for, but there are also Asus support pages for the G752VY (not VT), and some say upto 20Gigbits/s and some say upto 40Gibbits/s. From what I can see the manual for my G752VT does not mention the data rate of the TB3 port at all.

So my question is.....Rather than relying on an old support page written when only passive cables were available that supported upto only 20Gigbits/s, Is there a way to look at Device Manager or something, obtain a model number of the TB3 port/controller and then see for sure what speeds are supported?
Surely you have access to a more reliable source of information than the Asus Support Site?

Thanks again.