cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pstates and BCLK

Theagg
Level 7
So, I am experimenting with custom Pstates and would like to know if there are any decent guides or suggestions for making these work with custom BCLK settings. If that is now possible on this board. The guides I have found so far have focused on using auto BCLK (or default 100) but for me to use my RAM at 2933mhz, I need to set BCLK at 110, which then results in the multiplier on the 'extreme tweaker' page going manual. (36.5 for my target 4015 OC)

Setting P states, as per the guides I have so far read and watched, don't then really seem to function in Windows, during idle, it stays at 4015 and the V core stays around the value set...

So yes, help....for a target OC and a non default BCLK, whats the process to get Pstates working properly, if possible.
5 REPLIES 5

AfterShock
Level 9
I'm using bios ver 1002 which doesn't work with custom bclk settings but I thought I read that the new bios version support custom bclk settings. I'm figuring you've already saw this guide since it was the 1st one posted http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/781069-Crosshair-VI-P-State-modification-for-power...

AfterShock wrote:
I'm using bios ver 1002 which doesn't work with custom bclk settings but I thought I read that the new bios version support custom bclk settings. I'm figuring you've already saw this guide since it was the 1st one posted http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/781069-Crosshair-VI-P-State-modification-for-power...

Same here, bios 1002 (and I'm sure I had read this version supported P state with custom BCLK, but obviously it doesn't, because yes, with 1002, it looks like it either P states with default BCLK only, or custom BCLK and no P states). So maybe the next bios, hmm, which will not appear until at least May I think ?

I missed that guide, Google didn't deliver ! However I found this one https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-pstate-overclocking-method-calculation-and-calculator.1928648/ which suggested P states could be used with High Performance power plan (rather than Balanced), by altering a value in the advanced setting tab, the 'minimum processor state' value. However, that setting isn't there in my Windows 10. Instead, all I see is a value named 'maximum processor frequency', where his pic shows 'minimum processor state' Have they changed it with recent Windows updates (Running the latest 'Creators update' here) ??

Theagg wrote:
However, that setting isn't there in my Windows 10. Instead, all I see is a value named 'maximum processor frequency', where his pic shows 'minimum processor state' Have they changed it with recent Windows updates (Running the latest 'Creators update' here) ??

Your BIOS settings seem to possibly change what options are available there. In the last couple weeks I've seen mine go from having min/max processor state and fan policy, to only having the fan policy setting. To now having all three of those as well as maximum processor frequency. Though I suspect that last one may be new, I've never seen it before.

I'm running the creators update and the AMD Ryzen power plan.

gupsterg
Level 13
Theagg wrote:
So, I am experimenting with custom Pstates and would like to know if there are any decent guides or suggestions for making these work with custom BCLK settings.

Post 3 of this thread has a calculator xls/xml file.

Take note of:-

Also, you probably noticed on the work sheet is a VID calculator which may be useful in the future for P0. P1 and P2 VID can be changed and those voltages will work, just P0 does not. Any questions or comments please let me know.

P2 VID change worked for me on UEFI 0902, does not on 0079 or 0081, fingers cross next UEFI release they sort it so we can edit all PState VIDs.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

So I have been experimenting with pstate OC as well. I have not been able to get custom BCLK to work with pstates (83 bios). As soon as BCLK is changed from auto the CPU goes into OC mode and stops pstates from working (processor state disappears from power options in Windows). I tried all option combinations I could think of without success. The HardOCP forum thread does mention that it should be working but damn if I can see how.

Another unfortunate side effect seems to be that the "precision boost" also stops working. I set pstate0 to 3850 and that is the max freq that will show up, no more boost for single threads. I didn't get a chance to dig into this but I assume there is no option to use pstate OC and still allow boosting to e.g. to the 1800x default 4000?