cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 wants to run check disk at every startup since the Win 10 creator update

acerzr2
Level 7
I have a Samsung 950 Pro SSD running on NVME. Ever since I installed the new Windows 10 creators update, I get
the message "to skip running check disk, press any key" at every startup. The SSD is fine and my PC runs great,
but I would like to stop this message from coming up every time I start my PC up. I have checked online to see how to do this,
but everywhere I look talks about using command prompt checkntfs /x C: This doesn't work on nvme drives does it?
5 REPLIES 5

Slick8791
Level 7
acerzr2 wrote:
I have a Samsung 950 Pro SSD running on NVME. Ever since I installed the new Windows 10 creators update, I get
the message "to skip running check disk, press any key" at every startup. The SSD is fine and my PC runs great,
but I would like to stop this message from coming up every time I start my PC up. I have checked online to see how to do this,
but everywhere I look talks about using command prompt checkntfs /x C: This doesn't work on nvme drives does it?

I have the same SSD using Win 10 Home with the C.U. but I do not have this problem. I did do a brand new clean install though.

Did you do the in-place upgrade with Windows Update by chance?

Also, Samsung just released a updated driver Rev 22. I'm using it with no problem so you may want to check that also...

acerzr2
Level 7
I also noticed that I have an icon next to the clock that says "eject USB root hub (USB 3.0)" under safely remove hardware and eject media.
Could this be what is causing the check disk at startup? The only things I have plugged in via USB
are Logitech MX 518 mouse and Logitech G110 keyboard. They both have the latest drivers.
Plus the only hard drive I have is the Samsung 950 pro.
I did not do the clean install, I upgraded to the creators update edition.

JustinThyme
Level 13
acerzr2 wrote:

It's works on any drive with an NTFS file system. **

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I used the command prompt to exclude the SSD from running check disk,
but as soon as I rebooted, it wanted to run it again. Anyone have any other ideas?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Disable fast startup (aka fast joke). Its not doing this because of disk errors, something is in the startup running the command. \
If that doesn't work download Ccleaner and run it. Look under the tools section at whats in the startup.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein