cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY - Restart/Shut down issues after CU update

TheKnight
Level 7
Hello, I have the G752VY and after I updated to the new version of Windows when I shut down or restart my computer it acts strange and certainly not like before the update.
When I restart it, before it cuts the power I see for a split second some weird red-pinkish artifacts that look like squares just a little above my monitors center. They do not appear vertically. They are presented horizontally.
When I shut it down instead of making my screen black, turning off everything and then turning off the backlight, now it turns off the backlight then after 1 second it turns it on again (without showing anything, just black) and it stays like that for almost 10 seconds. In those 10 seconds I can hear the fans working and the HDD and power lights are on. After those 10 seconds it turns off the monitor and shuts down.

While booting everything is like it has to be and the computer works fine (apart from not being able to change the brightness but that's NVIDIA's fault since it's caused by their latest driver. Also sometimes the NVIDIA control panel doesn't launch since I don't see it when I right click on my desktop nor do I see it's icon in the taskbar. I have to restart in order to get it up and running).

Has anyone else got these weird issues when shutting down or restarting? I ran the sfc /scannow command but it didn't find any problems.
I see in Windows Defender an option called "Fresh start" and it says that it clean installs Windows and that in some cases it might improve the device's startup and shutdown experience. Should I clean install?
There's also the option that's been here for a while which is settings>Update and security>Recovery>Reset this PC. That sounds better since I can keep my files and won't have to wait 3 days for my games to be downloaded but will it fix my issue?

Thank you for your time.

UPDATE: The update re-enabled Fast Startup and I disabled it again. Now my computer shuts down almost instantly without turning off and on my monitor however now it acts like the "Restart" process. The moment it cuts the power I can hear a crackle noise coming through my headset and I see those weird artifacts for a split second. Since NVIDIA's 381.65 driver is causing problems with our ROGs (there's a thread that's been created about this) before I perform any clean-installations/resets I'll wait for a new driver. That might resolve the problem.
5 REPLIES 5

BoutTime
Level 7
TheKnight wrote:
Hello, I have the G752VY and after I updated to the new version of Windows when I shut down or restart my computer it acts strange and certainly not like before the update.
When I restart it, before it cuts the power I see for a split second some weird red-pinkish artifacts that look like squares just a little above my monitors center. They do not appear vertically. They are presented horizontally.
When I shut it down instead of making my screen black, turning off everything and then turning off the backlight, now it turns off the backlight then after 1 second it turns it on again (without showing anything, just black) and it stays like that for almost 10 seconds. In those 10 seconds I can hear the fans working and the HDD and power lights are on. After those 10 seconds it turns off the monitor and shuts down.

While booting everything is like it has to be and the computer works fine (apart from not being able to change the brightness but that's NVIDIA's fault since it's caused by their latest driver. Also sometimes the NVIDIA control panel doesn't launch since I don't see it when I right click on my desktop nor do I see it's icon in the taskbar. I have to restart in order to get it up and running).

Has anyone else got these weird issues when shutting down or restarting? I ran the sfc /scannow command but it didn't find any problems.
I see in Windows Defender an option called "Fresh start" and it says that it clean installs Windows and that in some cases it might improve the device's startup and shutdown experience. Should I clean install?
Thank you for your time.

I had similar issues as this and more. Fast Startup stopped working and Gaming Center also stopped working and I had to uninstall it. I rolled back to the previous Windows version which can be done using the Recovery option in Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Go back to an earlier build.

Bare in mind that I had a few issues after rolling back but I was able to get everything working again an re-install Gaming Center. It's now working fine.

JustinThyme
Level 13
CU is t playing nicely with a lot of laptops and graphics drivers that Nvidia pumped out to remedy issues isn't working with ASUS notebooks. I'd roll back and wait until the OS update matures a bit.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
CU is t playing nicely with a lot of laptops and graphics drivers that Nvidia pumped out to remedy issues isn't working with ASUS notebooks. I'd roll back and wait until the OS update matures a bit.*

Yeah, I'll just wait for a new NVIDIA driver, maybe that will fix it or even a Windows Update. I have a question though: in case where none of the previous fix this issue should I use the option in Settings>Update and Security> Recovery> Reset this PC in order to re-install Windows? And what concerns me the most: if I do that and select to keep all my files when it gives me the option will my games stay intact? They are not installed in the C: drive. I'm asking this because it can take up to a few days to download them all.

Clintlgm
Level 14
If you think the CU update is causing issues simple roll back to the last windows Build Then as the thread suggest use MCT to create a CU Install USB Chip and start the install from within windows you may find you have better luck this way.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

TheKnight
Level 7
Thanks for all the help. I'll give it a try.