Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi,

Result was taken with PhysX parked at Manual (GTX1080Ti). Now I tested DOOM with all this settings (CPU, GTX1080Ti, Auto GTX1060), and there is no difference, same FPS, no mouse lag at any option. If needed, I can check also other games.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-OP View Post
    Hi ISTIMAC,

Glad to see the cause of the performance hiccup is clarified.

Can you please kindly advice if this result was taken with PhysX parked at:
    - Manual (CPU)
    - Manual (GTX1080Ti)
    - Auto (GTX1060)

I will also be curious to know as my test bed does not have built-in GPU to test this difference.

Ideally the performance you get with DSR should be almost the same as the real resolution, if not identical, as the image is rendered in such resolution, then shrink it down to meet the resolution of your panel.

regards,

[/QUOTE]

Moderator Array

Hi ISTIMAC,

Thank you very much for the update. DOOM is unfortunately the only game in your list that is not utilizing DirectX, the result on this game may be a bit different from the others.

We are also conducting some in house tests with different PhysX settings, will update you when we have some updates to share.

regards,

Quote Originally Posted by ISTIMAC View Post
    Hi,

Result was taken with PhysX parked at Manual (GTX1080Ti). Now I tested DOOM with all this settings (CPU, GTX1080Ti, Auto GTX1060), and there is no difference, same FPS, no mouse lag at any option. If needed, I can check also other games.

[/QUOTE]

Moderator Array

Hi ISTIMAC,

After some tests, we found that the new Nvidia driver (382.33) now comes with better support for external graphics solution utilizing Thunderbolt 3 interface via Microsoft Hybrid Graphics. Now with the following improvements for gaming notebooks without utilizing Nvidia Optimus Technology (such as your G752VM):

1. Being able to flexibly use either the integrated or external Nvidia GPU as PhysX while using either notebook or external displays.
    2. Being able to use the notebook screen as part of the multi-monitor setup when rendering from external GPU.
    3. Being able to use FastSync properly.
    4. Better performance from 378.92. I get the following performance when comparing performance between the built-in GTX1070 and GTX1080Ti inside the XG STATION 2:

1920x1080:
    GTX1070 (integrated): 75FPS~102FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 97FPS ~ 133FPS

2560x1440:
    GTX1070 (integrated): 57FPS~62FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 74FPS ~ 88FPS

3840x2160:
    GTX1070 (integrated): 27FPS~30FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 42FPS ~ 50FPS

Game Settings:
    - Full Screen:ON
    - VSync:OFF
    - FPS:UNLIMITED
    - AMBIENT OCCLUSION (HBAO):HIGH
    - MONTION BLUR:HIGH
    - GEOMETRY DETAIL:ON
    - SHADOW QUALITY:HIGH
    - REFLECTION QUALITY:HIGH
    - VOLUMETRIC EFFECTS:HIGH
    - ANTIALIASING:HIGH

Nvidia Driver Settings:
    - DSR: ENABLED,Made all ratios available
    - Multi-Display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration:Single Display Performance Mode
    - Power Management Mode:Prefer maximum performance
    - PhysX Setting: GTX1070 (inside Notebook) as dedicated for PhysX, GTX1080Ti or CPU. Result shows performance may be better if:
    1920x1080 resolution: Better performance when PhysX is set to a separate yet powerful GPU (in this case, GTX1070), preferred if this GPU is dedicated for PhysX.
    2560x1440 resolution: Better performance when PhysX is set to the same GPU as the one you use for rendering.
    3840x2160 resolution: Better performance when PhysX is set to CPU.

- DSR engaged to emulate 4K UHD resolution
    - FastSync Engaged for tearfree gaming experience without the performance penalty from vSync

Our configuration:
    NB: G752VS(KBL), featuring GTX1070 / Core-i7 7700HQ / 32GB Memory
    NVIDIA Driver Version:382.33
    Thunderbolt 3 Driver Version:16.1.47.275

Remark: Please make sure you select fresh install driver when installing this driver, as that's what I have used for result consistency.

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes on your combination.

regards,

Hi,

[/QUOTE]

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hello,

I have new NVIDIA drivers 382.33, and I think I got better performance after driver update. And my Thundertbolt drivers are newer than yours 16.2.55.275. All NVIDIA settings are set as yours.
    Can you only please tell me in which game did you make tests?

I have i7 6700HQ, maybe this CPU is not good as yours for eGPU, if CPU have any impacts on eGPU.
    I have 16GB RAM, if I add additional 16, maybe I got some more FPS, but I did not hit more than 75% RAM ussage till now.

And in theory, DX12 supports multi GPU, which are not in SLI, so in theory you can combine NVIDIA and RADEON GPUs. I'm looking forward to DX12 games which have support for this kind of multi GPU, and I wonders how they will work in combination of dedicatd GPU and eGPU. What is your opinion about this, will this be possible?

Best regards,
    Ivan

Hi ISTIMAC,

After some tests, we found that the new Nvidia driver (382.33) now comes with better support for external graphics solution utilizing Thunderbolt 3 interface via Microsoft Hybrid Graphics. Now with the following improvements for gaming notebooks without utilizing Nvidia Optimus Technology (such as your G752VM):

1. Being able to flexibly use either the integrated or external Nvidia GPU as PhysX while using either notebook or external displays.
    2. Being able to use the notebook screen as part of the multi-monitor setup when rendering from external GPU.
    3. Being able to use FastSync properly.
    4. Better performance from 378.92. I get the following performance when comparing performance between the built-in GTX1070 and GTX1080Ti inside the XG STATION 2:

1920x1080:
    GTX1070 (integrated): 75FPS~102FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 97FPS ~ 133FPS

2560x1440:
    GTX1070 (integrated): 57FPS~62FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 74FPS ~ 88FPS

3840x2160:
    GTX1070 (integrated): 27FPS~30FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 42FPS ~ 50FPS

Game Settings:
    - Full Screen:ON
    - VSync:OFF
    - FPS:UNLIMITED
    - AMBIENT OCCLUSION (HBAO):HIGH
    - MONTION BLUR:HIGH
    - GEOMETRY DETAIL:ON
    - SHADOW QUALITY:HIGH
    - REFLECTION QUALITY:HIGH
    - VOLUMETRIC EFFECTS:HIGH
    - ANTIALIASING:HIGH

Nvidia Driver Settings:
    - DSR: ENABLED,Made all ratios available
    - Multi-Display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration:Single Display Performance Mode
    - Power Management Mode:Prefer maximum performance
    - PhysX Setting: GTX1070 (inside Notebook) as dedicated for PhysX, GTX1080Ti or CPU. Result shows performance may be better if:
    1920x1080 resolution: Better performance when PhysX is set to a separate yet powerful GPU (in this case, GTX1070), preferred if this GPU is dedicated for PhysX.
    2560x1440 resolution: Better performance when PhysX is set to the same GPU as the one you use for rendering.
    3840x2160 resolution: Better performance when PhysX is set to CPU.

- DSR engaged to emulate 4K UHD resolution
    - FastSync Engaged for tearfree gaming experience without the performance penalty from vSync

Our configuration:
    NVIDIA Driver Version:382.33
    Thunderbolt 3 Driver Version:16.1.47.275

Remark: Please make sure you select fresh install driver when installing this driver, as that's what I have used for result consistency.

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes on your combination.

regards,
    [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by ISTIMAC; 06-02-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Moderator Array

Hi Ivan,

The game used for this test is MAFIA III. We choose one of the games you have tested to make sure you can easily revisit and compare.

With regards to the impact of CPU performance and system memory for using XG STATION 2, there may be, but I won't expect that to be noticeable when we are only comparing between i7 6700HQ and 7700HQ. Similar deal goes to the system memory.

Yes, we are also very excited about DX12 with Multi-GPU support, especially on the part about being able to make use of graphics memory on all cards.

regards,

Hello,

I have new NVIDIA drivers 382.33, and I think I got better performance after driver update. And my Thundertbolt drivers are newer than yours 16.2.55.275. All NVIDIA settings are set as yours.
    Can you only please tell me in which game did you make tests?

I have i7 6700HQ, maybe this CPU is not good as yours for eGPU, if CPU have any impacts on eGPU.
    I have 16GB RAM, if I add additional 16, maybe I got some more FPS, but I did not hit more than 75% RAM ussage till now.

And in theory, DX12 supports multi GPU, which are not in SLI, so in theory you can combine NVIDIA and RADEON GPUs. I'm looking forward to DX12 games which have support for this kind of multi GPU, and I wonders how they will work in combination of dedicatd GPU and eGPU. What is your opinion about this, will this be possible?

Best regards,
    Ivan

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by ASUS-OP; 06-04-2017 at 11:54 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi,

Thank you for info. With GTX1080Ti i can't get even close results as yours

My results:
    1920x1080
    GTX1060: 45-50 (mostly about 47)
    GTX1080Ti: 38-60 (Mostly about 40) [your results: 97FPS ~ 133FPS] -not even close to your results

3840x2160
    GTX1060: 15-18
    GTX1080Ti: 30-45 [your results: 42FPS ~ 50FPS] - my results are close, but your are still better

Can you please check attached image, this is showed to me when start FW upgrade for XGS2. I made this upgrade before, but my PD Version is still N/A. So, I'm not sure, maybe my FW is not upgraded? This is screenshot from file: ROG-XG-STATION-2 Thunderbolt 3 FW v23P

Best regards,
    Ivan

Hi Ivan,

The game used for this test is MAFIA III. We choose one of the games you have tested to make sure you can easily revisit and compare.

With regards to the impact of CPU performance and system memory for using XG STATION 2, there may be, but I won't expect that to be noticeable when we are only comparing between i7 6700HQ and 7700HQ. Similar deal goes to the system memory.

Yes, we are also very excited about DX12 with Multi-GPU support, especially on the part about being able to make use of graphics memory on all cards.

regards,
    [/QUOTE]
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos img1.png  

Last edited by ISTIMAC; 06-05-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Moderator Array

Hi Ivan,

First things first, have you modified driver and in game settings as well as using external monitor like what I have listed previously?
    Please kindly help to indicate the difference if any to help us double check what could be causing the difference.

With regards to the results, your 1080P result is extremely low, I was able to get the following results when using the notebook monitor with the same driver and in-gaming settings, and use GPU dedicated for PhysX to switch between the built-in GTX1070 and the external GTX1080Ti:

1920x1080:
    GTX1070 (Built-in): 75FPS ~ 93FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 83FPS ~ 107FPS

2560x1440:
    GTX1070 (Built-in): 53FPS ~ 61FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 53FPS ~ 63FPS

3840x2160:
    GTX1070 (Built-in): 27FPS ~ 30FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 27FPS ~ 30FPS

The results were taken in the first scene, before getting the key, we just wondered around in there for a minute and took the highest and lowest frame rate shown with Steam frame rate counter.

The firmware updater for firmware version 23P still won't show the correct PD version (will only show as N/A), but it will update.

Hi,

Thank you for info. With GTX1080Ti i can't get even close results as yours

My results:
    1920x1080
    GTX1060: 45-50 (mostly about 47)
    GTX1080Ti: 38-60 (Mostly about 40) [your results: 97FPS ~ 133FPS] -not even close to your results

3840x2160
    GTX1060: 15-18
    GTX1080Ti: 30-45 [your results: 42FPS ~ 50FPS] - my results are close, but your are still better

Can you please check attached image, this is showed to me when start FW upgrade for XGS2. I made this upgrade before, but my PD Version is still N/A. So, I'm not sure, maybe my FW is not upgraded? This is screenshot from file: ROG-XG-STATION-2 Thunderbolt 3 FW v23P

Best regards,
    Ivan

[/QUOTE]

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi,

Yes, i have same driver version, and using external monitor connected to GTX1080Ti. It is strange to me too, I have much lower FPS than you on 1080p.

Only difference I see is thunderbolt version, I have 16.2.55.275. And I'm not playing game from start, and when I'm in city where is more cars there is lower FPS than when I was outside town, outside from town I have about 70 FPS.

Game Settings:
    - Full Screen:ON (YES)
    - VSync:OFF (YES)
    - FPS:UNLIMITED (YES)
    - AMBIENT OCCLUSION (HBAO):HIGH (YES)
    - MONTION BLUR:HIGH (ON, there is no HIGH option)
    - GEOMETRY DETAIL:ON (HIGH, there is no ON option)
    - SHADOW QUALITY:HIGH (YES)
    - REFLECTION QUALITY:HIGH (YES)
    - VOLUMETRIC EFFECTS:HIGH (YES)
    - ANTIALIASING:HIGH (YES)

Nvidia Driver Settings:
    - DSR: ENABLED,Made all ratios available (YES)
    - Multi-Display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration:Single Display Performance Mode (YES)
    - Power Management Mode:Prefer maximum performance (YES)
    3840x2160 resolution: Better performance when PhysX is set to CPU. (Tried all options, no bih difference)

- DSR engaged to emulate 4K UHD resolution (YES)

Our configuration:
    NVIDIA Driver Version:382.33 (YES)
    Thunderbolt 3 Driver Version:16.1.47.275 (16.2.55.275)

All my settings in nvidia control panel:
    MANAGE 3D SETTINGS:
    Ambient Occlusion: Quality
    Antristropic filtering: 16x
    Antialiasing - FXAA: On
    Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
    Antialiasing - Mode: Enhance the application setting
    Antialiasing - Setting: 8x
    Antialiasing - Transparency: 8x (supersample)

Texture filtering - antristropic sample optimization: On
    Texture filtering - Negative LOD bais: Clamp
    Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
    Texture filtering - trilinear optimization: on
    Threader optimization: Auto
    Triple buffering: Off
    Vertical Sync (off and fast, tried them both)
    Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1

PhysX settings - tried GTX1060, 1080Ti and CPU, no bih difference

DISPLAY
    - Setup G-SYNC: G-SYNC enabled (Enable G_SYNC for full screen mode)

Hi Ivan,

First things first, have you modified driver and in game settings as well as using external monitor like what I have listed previously?
    Please kindly help to indicate the difference if any to help us double check what could be causing the difference.

With regards to the results, your 1080P result is extremely low, I was able to get the following results when using the notebook monitor with the same driver and in-gaming settings, and use GPU dedicated for PhysX to switch between the built-in GTX1070 and the external GTX1080Ti:

1920x1080:
    GTX1070 (Built-in): 75FPS ~ 93FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 83FPS ~ 107FPS

2560x1440:
    GTX1070 (Built-in): 53FPS ~ 61FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 53FPS ~ 63FPS

3840x2160:
    GTX1070 (Built-in): 27FPS ~ 30FPS
    GTX1080Ti (XG STATION 2): 27FPS ~ 30FPS

The results were taken in the first scene, before getting the key, we just wondered around in there for a minute and took the highest and lowest frame rate shown with Steam frame rate counter.

The firmware updater for firmware version 23P still won't show the correct PD version (will only show as N/A), but it will update.
    [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by ISTIMAC; 06-06-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Moderator Array

Hi Ivan,

I think I may have figured out what happened now. I have not touched any GPU driver settings apart from what I have described, where you have maxed out pretty much most of the GPU settings as we have discussed in previous conversations.

Do you mind to reset your driver settings, and change only the options I have described to check if your frame rates does come close to what we were getting?

Many thanks for your kind helps in advanced.

regards,

Hi,

Yes, i have same driver version, and using external monitor connected to GTX1080Ti. It is strange to me too, I have much lower FPS than you on 1080p.

Only difference I see is thunderbolt version, I have 16.2.55.275. And I'm not playing game from start, and when I'm in city where is more cars there is lower FPS than when I was outside town, outside from town I have about 70 FPS.

Game Settings:
    - Full Screen:ON (YES)
    - VSync:OFF (YES)
    - FPS:UNLIMITED (YES)
    - AMBIENT OCCLUSION (HBAO):HIGH (YES)
    - MONTION BLUR:HIGH (ON, there is no HIGH option)
    - GEOMETRY DETAIL:ON (HIGH, there is no ON option)
    - SHADOW QUALITY:HIGH (YES)
    - REFLECTION QUALITY:HIGH (YES)
    - VOLUMETRIC EFFECTS:HIGH (YES)
    - ANTIALIASING:HIGH (YES)

Nvidia Driver Settings:
    3840x2160 resolution: Better performance when PhysX is set to CPU. (Tried all options, no bih difference)

- DSR engaged to emulate 4K UHD resolution (YES)

Our configuration:
    NVIDIA Driver Version:382.33 (YES)
    Thunderbolt 3 Driver Version:16.1.47.275 (16.2.55.275)

All my settings in nvidia control panel:
    MANAGE 3D SETTINGS:
    Ambient Occlusion: Quality
    Antristropic filtering: 16x
    Antialiasing - FXAA: On
    Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
    Antialiasing - Mode: Enhance the application setting
    Antialiasing - Setting: 8x
    Antialiasing - Transparency: 8x (supersample)

Texture filtering - antristropic sample optimization: On
    Texture filtering - Negative LOD bais: Clamp
    Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
    Texture filtering - trilinear optimization: on
    Threader optimization: Auto
    Triple buffering: Off
    Vertical Sync (off and fast, tried them both)
    Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1

PhysX settings - tried GTX1060, 1080Ti and CPU, no bih difference

DISPLAY
    - Setup G-SYNC: G-SYNC enabled (Enable G_SYNC for full screen mode)

[/QUOTE]

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi,

I did reset driver settings, and set:

But, on FHD there is no change, i have aroud 40FPS in town, and about 70FPS outside town

So, I'm not sure why i have that bad FPS results on FHD.

Best regards,
    Ivan

Hi Ivan,

I think I may have figured out what happened now. I have not touched any GPU driver settings apart from what I have described, where you have maxed out pretty much most of the GPU settings as we have discussed in previous conversations.

Do you mind to reset your driver settings, and change only the options I have described to check if your frame rates does come close to what we were getting?

Many thanks for your kind helps in advanced.

regards,

[/QUOTE]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast