cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog g752vm + xg station 2 + rog strix gtx1080ti

ISTIMAC
Level 7
Hello,

I have laptop G752VM, windows 10 x64 home, xg station 2 and asus rog strix gtx1080ti gaming.

When i connect xg station 2 with my laptop, i got popup message 'External GPUs are not supported by this computer', and when i click on thunderbolt detauls at toolbar near clock there is text 'External GPU support: NO'.

But in device manager my laptop recognizes gtx1080ti, but it not works. And after driver install for gtx1080ti, i need to restart my pc and windows stuck on loading screen. Then i need to restore on previus restore point to be able to load windows (luckly i made restore point before instaling egpu).

So i am not sure do my laptop support xg station 2? Asus support on facebook told me yes, before i ordered xg station 2 and gtx 1080 ti.
58 REPLIES 58

ISTIMAC
Level 7
Screens attached

ASUS-OP
Level 7
Hi ISTIMAC,

A few places to check:
1. Make sure you have updated your Thunderbolt driver to version 16.2.55.275 (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/26052/Thunderbolt-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK...) or later.
2. Make sure you have updated the notebook BIOS to the latest build available.
3. Make sure you have updated your Nvidia graphics driver to the latest build (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/117263).
4. As this notebook does not support external GPU, please also update the firmware of te XG STATION to v23 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/ASUS-ROG-XG-STATION-2_V23.zip?_ga=1.28136188.1134823483.144...) or later.
5. The XG STATION 2 comes with dual 6+2 pin power for your graphics card. Please make sure you have connected all power inputs to your card without fail, otherwise the GPU will not work properly due to insufficient power input.
6. As your notebook connects the display directly to the Nvidia GPU, XG STATION 2 will only work with external monitor connected to the VGA card inside XG STATION 2. (i.e. you will not be able to use the monitor on your notebook to display if you wish to use XG STATION 2.)

Come back and let us know if you have further issues.

regards,

ASUS-OP wrote:
Hi ISTIMAC,

A few places to check:
1. Make sure you have updated your Thunderbolt driver to version 16.2.55.275 (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/26052/Thunderbolt-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK...) or later.
2. Make sure you have updated the notebook BIOS to the latest build available.
3. Make sure you have updated your Nvidia graphics driver to the latest build (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/117263).
4. As this notebook does not support external GPU, please also update the firmware of te XG STATION to v23 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/ASUS-ROG-XG-STATION-2_V23.zip?_ga=1.28136188.1134823483.144...) or later.
5. The XG STATION 2 comes with dual 6+2 pin power for your graphics card. Please make sure you have connected all power inputs to your card without fail, otherwise the GPU will not work properly due to insufficient power input.
6. As your notebook connects the display directly to the Nvidia GPU, XG STATION 2 will only work with external monitor connected to the VGA card inside XG STATION 2. (i.e. you will not be able to use the monitor on your notebook to display if you wish to use XG STATION 2.)

Come back and let us know if you have further issues.

regards,

Hello,
Thank you for answer. I managed to put XGS 2 to work:
- din't see 2 additional 2-pin connectors (they were hidden :)), so I only connected 2 x 6 pin connectors, now I connected 2 x 8 pin to my GPU

But to be able to install correctly my GTX1080TI I need to disable integrated GTX1060, and then install drivers for GTX1080TI, otherwise, after PC restart it won't boot (it stuck on ROG logo, or black screen with loader that loads forewer, and I need to restart with POWER button few times to enter repair mode and reeturn to Restore point)

And novabench with GTX1080TI gives me 8FPS, while my integrated GTX1060 gives me 58 FPS (i'm using external monitor connected to GTX1080TI, but novabench runs benchmark in fullscreen on integrated monitor, maybe I sould not use Dual monitor, only external?)

And yes, I can't install latest NVIDIA driver, it tells me:
"The graphic driver could not find compatible graphic hardware"
Also, GeForce Expirience noticed me few weeks before that new driver is available, but after download it shows same error. Looks like there is some error with new NVIDIA driver and GTX1060 (there is lot of people with same problem).
Installer works if I connect XGS2 with GTX1080TI, but after restart windows wont boot if GTX1060 is enabled, not matter if XGS2 is connected or disconnected

Maybe this problem with driver causes problem that windows wont boot when install driver for GTX1080TI (using windows driver autoinstall or NVIDIA installer), maybe this driver is not compatible with GTX1060 and after installing it there is compatibilty problem, and windows stuck when tries to load GPU? So maybe best solution is to wait new working NVIDIA driver for GTX1060?

All other steps done as you told.

Hi ISTIMAC,

What you are experiencing is very strange, as ROG G752VM is a Nvidia G-Sync ready model, which means it has the Nvidia GPU directly connected to all output ports, as well as notebook display.

In such situation, you should not need to disable the Nvidia GTX1060, else you will end up having no display.
And yes, in your situation, you can only operate with monitors connected to XG STATION 2. You will need to display output to notebook display as well as HDMI or DP output from the notebook for it to operate correctly.

What I suspect may have more to do with the notebook BIOS with the resource allocation.

For your case alone, I will suggest:
1. Disconnect the XG STATION 2 from your notebook.
2. Power on you system and boot into desktop.
3. Now connect your XG STATION 2 with your graphics card inside.
4. Wait for 30 seconds for it to be ready. (may take longer for first connection)
5. Once the external GPU is detectable from Device Manager, run the latest Nvidia driver from Nvidia website, it should load the driver correctly.
6. Shut down your system.
7. Unplug XG STATION 2.
8. Power up the notebook, and wait till it reached desktop.
9. Connect XG STATON 2.
10. Go to output, make sure you are using single display, purely from the graphics card inside the XG STATION 2.
11. Now try testing again.

Keep in mind you will need to make sure:
1. Nvidia driver is the latest version available.
2. Thunderbolt 3 driver is updated to the version I have specified. Can be later, not earlier.
3. Notebook BIOS updated to the latest available build
4. XG STATION 2 firmware needs also be updated.

Let me know if this helps.

regards,

ISTIMAC wrote:
Hello,
Thank you for answer. I managed to put XGS 2 to work:
- din't see 2 additional 2-pin connectors (they were hidden :)), so I only connected 2 x 6 pin connectors, now I connected 2 x 8 pin to my GPU

But to be able to install correctly my GTX1080TI I need to disable integrated GTX1060, and then install drivers for GTX1080TI, otherwise, after PC restart it won't boot (it stuck on ROG logo, or black screen with loader that loads forewer, and I need to restart with POWER button few times to enter repair mode and reeturn to Restore point)

And novabench with GTX1080TI gives me 8FPS, while my integrated GTX1060 gives me 58 FPS (i'm using external monitor connected to GTX1080TI, but novabench runs benchmark in fullscreen on integrated monitor, maybe I sould not use Dual monitor, only external?)

And yes, I can't install latest NVIDIA driver, it tells me:
"The graphic driver could not find compatible graphic hardware"
Also, GeForce Expirience noticed me few weeks before that new driver is available, but after download it shows same error. Looks like there is some error with new NVIDIA driver and GTX1060 (there is lot of people with same problem).
Installer works if I connect XGS2 with GTX1080TI, but after restart windows wont boot if GTX1060 is enabled, not matter if XGS2 is connected or disconnected

Maybe this problem with driver causes problem that windows wont boot when install driver for GTX1080TI (using windows driver autoinstall or NVIDIA installer), maybe this driver is not compatible with GTX1060 and after installing it there is compatibilty problem, and windows stuck when tries to load GPU? So maybe best solution is to wait new working NVIDIA driver for GTX1060?

All other steps done as you told.

ASUS-OP wrote:
Hi ISTIMAC,

What you are experiencing is very strange, as ROG G752VM is a Nvidia G-Sync ready model, which means it has the Nvidia GPU directly connected to all output ports, as well as notebook display.

In such situation, you should not need to disable the Nvidia GTX1060, else you will end up having no display.
And yes, in your situation, you can only operate with monitors connected to XG STATION 2. You will need to display output to notebook display as well as HDMI or DP output from the notebook for it to operate correctly.

What I suspect may have more to do with the notebook BIOS with the resource allocation.

For your case alone, I will suggest:
1. Disconnect the XG STATION 2 from your notebook.
2. Power on you system and boot into desktop.
3. Now connect your XG STATION 2 with your graphics card inside.
4. Wait for 30 seconds for it to be ready. (may take longer for first connection)
5. Once the external GPU is detectable from Device Manager, run the latest Nvidia driver from Nvidia website, it should load the driver correctly.
6. Shut down your system.
7. Unplug XG STATION 2.
8. Power up the notebook, and wait till it reached desktop.
9. Connect XG STATON 2.
10. Go to output, make sure you are using single display, purely from the graphics card inside the XG STATION 2.
11. Now try testing again.

Keep in mind you will need to make sure:
1. Nvidia driver is the latest version available.
2. Thunderbolt 3 driver is updated to the version I have specified. Can be later, not earlier.
3. Notebook BIOS updated to the latest available build
4. XG STATION 2 firmware needs also be updated.

Let me know if this helps.

regards,

I followed this steps, and when XGS2 Hotlink told device is ready, and when new GPU has been visible in device manager (Called Microsoft standard display adapter or something like this) i installed latest nvidia drivers (successfuly), and I did not choose to restart PC after installation, I closed installation and shut down laptop manually. When laptop is shut down i unplugged XGS2 and powered up, and it sucessfully reached desktop (progress, before that is stuck on windows boot after new driver installation).

But when it reached desktop (XGS2 still unplugged) my desktop turns into black screen with only cursor visible and popup message NVIDIA Share stopped to respond, when I close this message my desktops is back again and after few seconds same massage with black screen again). After few messages and after all programes started including XGS Hotlink, i plugged in XGS2, and my integrated monitor automaticaly is turned off and on external monitor (connected to XGS2) i can only see black screen and mouse pointer, nothing else. I waited for few minutes and tried to disconnect XGS2, but nothing is displayed on integrated monitor.

Then i restarted laptop (with power button, becouse I did not see anything on my monitor, CTRL+ALT+DEL also did not show me anything).
And after restart windows stuck on loading screen again (sometimes when i power up i can see ROG logo and loading indicator, sometimes only blackscreen, when i see only black screen, ROG logo don't appear at all, I need to hold POWER buttun about 10 seconds, and then ROG logo is visible again on power up. And i need to repeat this few times until windows enters on repair mode where I can restore on created restore point.

1. Nvidia driver is the latest version available. (DONE)
2. Thunderbolt 3 driver is updated to the version I have specified. Can be later, not earlier. (DONE)
3. Notebook BIOS updated to the latest available build (DONE, MY NOTEBOOK ALREADY HAVE LATEST BIOS 302)
4. XG STATION 2 firmware needs also be updated. (DONE)

If needed I can give TeamViewer access to someone to check

Hi ISTIMAC,

Based in the info provided, it feels like there may be some meta data in the system preventing your notebook from working properly with the XG STATION 2.
Is there any chance you can retry the suggestions after refreshing your OS or OS recovery?

regards,

ISTIMAC wrote:
I followed this steps, and when XGS2 Hotlink told device is ready, and when new GPU has been visible in device manager (Called Microsoft standard display adapter or something like this) i installed latest nvidia drivers (successfuly), and I did not choose to restart PC after installation, I closed installation and shut down laptop manually. When laptop is shut down i unplugged XGS2 and powered up, and it sucessfully reached desktop (progress, before that is stuck on windows boot after new driver installation).

But when it reached desktop (XGS2 still unplugged) my desktop turns into black screen with only cursor visible and popup message NVIDIA Share stopped to respond, when I close this message my desktops is back again and after few seconds same massage with black screen again). After few messages and after all programes started including XGS Hotlink, i plugged in XGS2, and my integrated monitor automaticaly is turned off and on external monitor (connected to XGS2) i can only see black screen and mouse pointer, nothing else. I waited for few minutes and tried to disconnect XGS2, but nothing is displayed on integrated monitor.

Then i restarted laptop (with power button, becouse I did not see anything on my monitor, CTRL+ALT+DEL also did not show me anything).
And after restart windows stuck on loading screen again (sometimes when i power up i can see ROG logo and loading indicator, sometimes only blackscreen, when i see only black screen, ROG logo don't appear at all, I need to hold POWER buttun about 10 seconds, and then ROG logo is visible again on power up. And i need to repeat this few times until windows enters on repair mode where I can restore on created restore point.

1. Nvidia driver is the latest version available. (DONE)
2. Thunderbolt 3 driver is updated to the version I have specified. Can be later, not earlier. (DONE)
3. Notebook BIOS updated to the latest available build (DONE, MY NOTEBOOK ALREADY HAVE LATEST BIOS 302)
4. XG STATION 2 firmware needs also be updated. (DONE)

If needed I can give TeamViewer access to someone to check

That is what I was afraid of :). It's also my work laptop. It is old 2 months, but if needed i'll do this, but when i finish some job i have on progress. Laptop is bought with predinstalled windows 10 home. How i can recover windows in factory version? And it comes with 256 gb m.2 ssd + 1tb hdd. I replaced 1tb hdd with 1tb sata SSD. I hope that recovery installation has not been on HDD :), but probably it is. And if it is on hdd (which is fully formated and now using as external hdd) can i use this windows lincence or i need to buy another one?

ASUS-OP wrote:
Hi ISTIMAC,

Based in the info provided, it feels like there may be some meta data in the system preventing your notebook from working properly with the XG STATION 2.
Is there any chance you can retry the suggestions after refreshing your OS or OS recovery?

regards,

And this is image what I get when trying to install new NVIDIA driver with XGS2 unplugged (so this driver don't support my GTX1060). But when I plug in XGS installer continues installataion. So, it is also strange, like this driver have some problems with laptop GTX1060, and maybe new NVIDIA driver will solve this problem.

Link 1:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1002808/gtx-1060-cannot-detect-hardware/?offset=3

There are lot of users expiriencing same problem, and there is also user with G752VM who has same problem.

Link 2:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/63t2bg/driver_38165_faqdiscussion_thread/?st=j1olsckd&sh=53...

Lot of people have same problem here

I also tryed to remove all with DDU, and still was not able to install newest driver when XGS2 is unplugged.

And I found this, NVIDIA is familiar with this problem
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4448/

Ok, look like it's working now.

But with drivers 378.92 (i found them on nvidia archive, and this drivers are new enought to support gtx1080ti). I'll now try how it works on gaming. Novabench gives me 55 FPS (GTX1060 gave around same number).

Now I'm using only external monitor connected to GTX1080Ti.

In attachment you can see GTX1080TI is now working correctly.

So if anyone have problem with drivers 381.65, can try with 378.92. You can download older and beta versions from here (http://www.nvidia.com/drivers/beta).