Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Moderator Array

Hi ISTIMAC,

Sorry bro, just came back to work.

The result you are getting in GR: Wildlands may be related to how their graphic engine utilizes the processing power of your GPU, as Hybrid Graphics behaves quite different to straight connection, difference may vary with the way how the graphics engine works.

This is the official details from Microsoft about Hybrid Graphics:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...pter-resources

To put in simple terms, the discrete GPU is only used for rendering, while the other GPU (either the Intel or you existing discrete GPU) will handle the GDI and the display job. As there is more handling involved, and of course, result in more latency. You are expecting to see similar sort of performance difference comparing between notebooks implemented with and without Nvidia Optimus technology (another form of Hybrid Graphics developed by Nvidia) when comparing between built-in or via external GPU. The difference varies with the development of graphics driver (both integrated and external), rendering engine of games and applications, and Thunderbolt 3 driver/firmware (for both host and client).

Based on our test results, we do see more rendering job (higher resolution / higher AA and game settings) will yield smaller performance gap between internal and external due to less chance of needing the additional handling on most applications.

Before you rush out to buy a 4K monitor, do you have any other games you can test?

Many thanks for helping us making the XG STATION 2 better.

regards,

Quote Originally Posted by ISTIMAC View Post
    Hello,

Can you please answer to this post (you can find images in original post, posted 2017-04-20):

Hi,
    I set up settings in nvidia control panel (image attached). And all in game settings are set to max. And still GTX1080Ti and 1060 (laptop) gives me around 40 fps in GR: Wildlands.

So, if need to set up some other settings, can you please provide detailed info how to do this or screenshot (i'm not pro in this settings, so maybe i miss something)?

And 3D mark gives me much better results, so I'm not sure what's wrong when playing games. Why 3D Mark can use potential of GTX1080Ti, but PC Games can't?

My results:
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/19403899 (1080Ti)
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/19404003 (1060)

And if I buy 4K monitor, will i be able to get about 40 fps is GR: Wildlands on 4K and ultra settings? And can you explain Microsoft Hybrid Graphics technology? Is this reason why I have same FPS in GR: wildlands (and other games, mass effect andromeda, watch dogs 2, ...) on GTX1060 and GTX1080Ti (XGS2)? You mentioned Microsoft Hybrid Graphics technology, but can you explain more about this? I tested with all max details in game and max AA settings in FHD. But maybe we'll see difference in 4K gaming or upcomming graphic more intensive games? maybe 3D Mark is more graphic intensive and that's reason why there I can see big difference on GTX1060 and GTX1080Ti (XGS2)?

I think if you explain this, it will clear things to many XG Station 2 owners. And it would be great to make some blog or single article and write all details about XGS2, Microsoft Hybrid Graphics technology, XGS2 installation, setup, etc.

Thanks in advance

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hello,
    Ok, no problem.

I made few more tests, all games played with FHD resolution and all settings as max possible. Results:

GAME: GTX1080Ti (Integrated GTX1060)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided: 40 FPS (10-15 FPS) This one is with MSAA max, when disabling i got much better results on both GPUs
    DOOM: 75 FPS (75 FPS)
    GTA V: 50-60 FPS (35 FPS)
    HITMAN: 45-55 FPS (55-60 FPS)
    Mafia III: 30-55 FPS (50-55 FPS)
    Prey: 60 FPS (75 FPS)
    Watch Dogs 2 (High Res Texture pack): 30-40 FPS (28-32 FPS)

We can see, some games runs better on XGS, some on integrated GTX1060. Biggest difference is Deus Ex: mankind divided, where GTX1080Ti is absolute winner (this settings use aboute 6+ GB of VRAM on GTX1080Ti, but GTX1060 has only 6GB so maybe this is reason why GTX1060 gives lower results). GTA V also performs much better on GTX1080Ti. Prey and Mafia 3 runs better on GTX1060.

I have more games on my steam account, but they are not installed. I can install some other games if it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-OP View Post
    Hi ISTIMAC,

Sorry bro, just came back to work.

The result you are getting in GR: Wildlands may be related to how their graphic engine utilizes the processing power of your GPU, as Hybrid Graphics behaves quite different to straight connection, difference may vary with the way how the graphics engine works.

This is the official details from Microsoft about Hybrid Graphics:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...pter-resources

To put in simple terms, the discrete GPU is only used for rendering, while the other GPU (either the Intel or you existing discrete GPU) will handle the GDI and the display job. As there is more handling involved, and of course, result in more latency. You are expecting to see similar sort of performance difference comparing between notebooks implemented with and without Nvidia Optimus technology (another form of Hybrid Graphics developed by Nvidia) when comparing between built-in or via external GPU. The difference varies with the development of graphics driver (both integrated and external), rendering engine of games and applications, and Thunderbolt 3 driver/firmware (for both host and client).

Based on our test results, we do see more rendering job (higher resolution / higher AA and game settings) will yield smaller performance gap between internal and external due to less chance of needing the additional handling on most applications.

Before you rush out to buy a 4K monitor, do you have any other games you can test?

Many thanks for helping us making the XG STATION 2 better.

regards,
    Last edited by ISTIMAC; 05-11-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Moderator Array

Hi ISTMAC,

Thank you very much for the time and efforts validating the performance with so many games with us.

Since you have a notebook with straight connection to Nvidia GPU (GTX1060), you will have the advantage of accessing to the following features from Nvidia:

- DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution)
    - FastSync

Where DSR can be used to simulate up to 4K UHD resolution on your Full HD screen while gaming. Please kindly help to test these game again with DSR engaged, and having these games rendering at 4K UHD resolution. It should add significant load to the rendering GPU and should ideally yield better performance on your GTX1080Ti in most games.

Please kindly give that a try when you have the time.

Many thanks for your kind helps in advanced.

regards,

Hello,
    Ok, no problem.

I made few more tests, all games played with FHD resolution and all settings as max possible. Results:

GAME: GTX1080Ti (Integrated GTX1060)
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided: 40 FPS (10-15 FPS) This one is with MSAA max, when disabling i got much better results on both GPUs
    DOOM: 75 FPS (75 FPS)
    GTA V: 50-60 FPS (35 FPS)
    HITMAN: 45-55 FPS (55-60 FPS)
    Mafia III: 30-55 FPS (50-55 FPS)
    Prey: 60 FPS (75 FPS)
    Watch Dogs 2 (High Res Texture pack): 30-40 FPS (28-32 FPS)

We can see, some games runs better on XGS, some on integrated GTX1060. Biggest difference is Deus Ex: mankind divided, where GTX1080Ti is absolute winner (this settings use aboute 6+ GB of VRAM on GTX1080Ti, but GTX1060 has only 6GB so maybe this is reason why GTX1060 gives lower results). GTA V also performs much better on GTX1080Ti. Prey and Mafia 3 runs better on GTX1060.

I have more games on my steam account, but they are not installed. I can install some other games if it will help.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hello,

I made few more tests, all games played with DSR enabled with 4K resolution and all settings as max possible. Results:

GAME: GTX1080Ti (Integrated GTX1060) [expected result]
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided: 45 FPS (20-30 FPS) [46-49]
    DOOM: 60 FPS (35 FPS) [96]
    GTA V: 17-20 FPS (not able to play in 4K, not enought VRAM, in 2x resolution about same results) [97]
    Mafia III: 30 FPS (15-20 FPS) [36]
    Prey: 30 FPS (25 FPS) [95]
    Watch Dogs 2 (High Res Texture pack): 20-25FPS [56]
    GR Wildlands: 20-30 FPS (15 FPS) [52]

Expected results: https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA....199810.0.html

with all games now I expirience mouse and keyboard lag - sometimes they do no respond for 0.5-1sec (with no FPS drops). For example i'm driving car in Mafia 3, and press A button to stear left, but car stears after about 1-2sec, in this 1-2sec it drives straight. On Deus ex and prey I move mouse left to look left, but movment is not smooth, sometimes movment stops for 0.5-1s and continues. In all this case, there is no FPS drops. I tried to connect mouse na keyboard to XGS2 and directly to Laptops, it's same on both cases

Mouse and Keyboard lag hapens also when plaing in 4K without XGS2, but much less often.

In GTA 5, 4K resolution, we have very bad results (about 20% of expected FPS). In 4k Deus Ex I expirience biggest mouse lag. It's closest to expected results, but with biggest mouse lag.

My laptop specs:
    it 6700 HK
    16 GB RAM
    GTX1060 and XGS2 with 1080Ti
    256GB m.2 SSD
    1TB SATA SSD

All games installed to SATA SSD

Hi ISTMAC,

Thank you very much for the time and efforts validating the performance with so many games with us.

Since you have a notebook with straight connection to Nvidia GPU (GTX1060), you will have the advantage of accessing to the following features from Nvidia:

- DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution)
    - FastSync

Where DSR can be used to simulate up to 4K UHD resolution on your Full HD screen while gaming. Please kindly help to test these game again with DSR engaged, and having these games rendering at 4K UHD resolution. It should add significant load to the rendering GPU and should ideally yield better performance on your GTX1080Ti in most games.

Please kindly give that a try when you have the time.

regards,
    Last edited by ISTIMAC; 05-15-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Moderator Array

Hi ISTIMAC,

Many thanks for the valuable contribution, this will be very helpful with the further performance digging of the XG STATION 2.
    Do you mind to let us know what was the reference index of the expected results?

Also, with regards to the lag, do you mind to check if the situation improves with setting VSYNC to "FAST" to activate Fast Sync?

regards,

Hello,

I made few more tests, all games played with DSR enabled with 4K resolution and all settings as max possible. Results:

GAME: GTX1080Ti (Integrated GTX1060) [expected result]
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided: 45 FPS (20-30 FPS) [46-49]
    DOOM: 60 FPS (35 FPS) [96]
    GTA V: 17-20 FPS (not able to play in 4K, not enought VRAM, in 2x resolution about same results) [97]
    Mafia III: 30 FPS (15-20 FPS) [36]
    Prey: 30 FPS (25 FPS) [95]
    Watch Dogs 2 (High Res Texture pack): 20-25FPS [56]
    GR Wildlands: 20-30 FPS (15 FPS) [52]

Expected results: https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA....199810.0.html

with all games now I expirience mouse and keyboard lag - sometimes they do no respond for 0.5-1sec (with no FPS drops). For example i'm driving car in Mafia 3, and press A button to stear left, but car stears after about 1-2sec, in this 1-2sec it drives straight. On Deus ex and prey I move mouse left to look left, but movment is not smooth, sometimes movment stops for 0.5-1s and continues. In all this case, there is no FPS drops. I tried to connect mouse na keyboard to XGS2 and directly to Laptops, it's same on both cases

Mouse and Keyboard lag hapens also when plaing in 4K without XGS2, but much less often.

In GTA 5, 4K resolution, we have very bad results (about 20% of expected FPS). In 4k Deus Ex I expirience biggest mouse lag. It's closest to expected results, but with biggest mouse lag.

My laptop specs:
    it 6700 HK
    16 GB RAM
    GTX1060 and XGS2 with 1080Ti
    256GB m.2 SSD
    1TB SATA SSD

All games installed to SATA SSD

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi,

No problem, if I can help in any way, feel free to ask.

Reference index of expected results (www.notebookcheck.net), direct link:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA....199810.0.html

No problem, I'll make few test with Fast Sync and write results

And yes, in future, will there be some kind of GPU enclosure which supports 2 or more GPU-s in SLI? I know thunderbold 3 is probably to slow for this, but in future maybe there will be some faster interface that supports much faster transfer speed... And which fastest GPU will be possible to install in XGS2 to be able to use about 80% of it's potential?

Hi ISTIMAC,

Many thanks for the valuable contribution, this will be very helpful with the further performance digging of the XG STATION 2.
    Do you mind to let us know what was the reference index of the expected results?

Also, with regards to the lag, do you mind to check if the situation improves with setting VSYNC to "FAST" to activate Fast Sync?

regards,

ROG Enthusiast Array

Regarding Fast Sync, when i set in NVIDIA control panel, vertical sync to Fast, i'm not able to start games (tried GTA5 and Deus Ex). After i run game, it crashes.
    But when i set Vertical sync to Off, i'm able to enter game, and yes, it helps

Moderator Array

Hi ISTIMAC,

Thank you for the valuable info. I find the GTA V result to be quite amusing as the FPS on the 4K (97.8FPS) is a lot higher than the 1080p (85FPS).

It is hard to predict what the future will be, however, it there is a new technology worth investigating, we will definitely be on it.
    Speaking of which, the main reason why the PSU in the XG STATION 2 is that high was to support dual GPU graphics card.

With regards to the input lag issue, do you mind to also confirm whether your mouse is connected to the USB port on the XG STATION 2? If yes, please make sure you have connected the Type B USB port to your notebook to allow your mouse to use USB host controller inside your notebook instead of the one behind the Thunderbolt client controller inside the XG STATION 2 and see if that helps to iron out the input lag issue under extensive traffic on the Thunderbolt 3 interface running Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

regards,

Hi,

No problem, if I can help in any way, feel free to ask.

Reference index of expected results (www.notebookcheck.net), direct link:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA....199810.0.html

No problem, I'll make few test with Fast Sync and write results

And yes, in future, will there be some kind of GPU enclosure which supports 2 or more GPU-s in SLI? I know thunderbold 3 is probably to slow for this, but in future maybe there will be some faster interface that supports much faster transfer speed... And which fastest GPU will be possible to install in XGS2 to be able to use about 80% of it's potential?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi,

Yes, GTA5 results are strange to me too.

Regarding to input lag, I tried with my mouse connected to XGS2 and also directly to laptop. And I have connected Type B USB port (my XGS2 have 2 cables connected to laptop - thunderbird and usb type B).

When I set Vertical sync to off, it helps with mouse lag.

Hi ISTIMAC,

Thank you for the valuable info. I find the GTA V result to be quite amusing as the FPS on the 4K (97.8FPS) is a lot higher than the 1080p (85FPS).

It is hard to predict what the future will be, however, it there is a new technology worth investigating, we will definitely be on it.
    Speaking of which, the main reason why the PSU in the XG STATION 2 is that high was to support dual GPU graphics card.

With regards to the input lag issue, do you mind to also confirm whether your mouse is connected to the USB port on the XG STATION 2? If yes, please make sure you have connected the Type B USB port to your notebook to allow your mouse to use USB host controller inside your notebook instead of the one behind the Thunderbolt client controller inside the XG STATION 2 and see if that helps to iron out the input lag issue under extensive traffic on the Thunderbolt 3 interface running Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

regards,

Moderator Array

Hi ISTIMAC,

Do you mind to confirm what was your VSYNC settings when you did the benchmarks?
    If possible, for both before and after engaging DSR please.

regards,

Hi,

Yes, GTA5 results are strange to me too.

Regarding to input lag, I tried with my mouse connected to XGS2 and also directly to laptop. And I have connected Type B USB port (my XGS2 have 2 cables connected to laptop - thunderbird and usb type B).

When I set Vertical sync to off, it helps with mouse lag.
    Last edited by ASUS-OP; 05-16-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast