cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing Headphone Audio - Crosshair VI Hero

PeZzy
Level 7
I was expecting the latest SupremeFX to be good audio, but when I connected my G4ME One headphones I could tell it was not good.

The SNR doesn't matter when it sounds like I am in the back of a large room. That's the best I can describe it - it sounds flat and distant. The amp was fine, perhaps too loud, but it's just not the best for headphones. The back and front connectors produced the same audio. I played around with the two Sonic programs, but they didn't help.

I ended up having to pull my out-dated Xonar Essense STX from my old Phenom 2 computer and install it on my Crosshair VI. Even the VIA HD audio on my several year old M4N98TD Evo sounds better. Maybe my C6H board is buggy, but I'm not going to RMA it because of the audio.

You'd think a gaming motherboard would focus on headphone audio. Maybe if I had true 7.1 headphones it would be better - I don't know - but I still like my G4me Ones.
3 REPLIES 3

Spec-Chum
Level 7
PeZzy wrote:
I was expecting the latest SupremeFX to be good audio, but when I connected my G4ME One headphones I could tell it was not good.

The SNR doesn't matter when it sounds like I am in the back of a large room. That's the best I can describe it - it sounds flat and distant. The amp was fine, perhaps too loud, but it's just not the best for headphones. The back and front connectors produced the same audio. I played around with the two Sonic programs, but they didn't help.

I ended up having to pull my out-dated Xonar Essense STX from my old Phenom 2 computer and install it on my Crosshair VI. Even the VIA HD audio on my several year old M4N98TD Evo sounds better. Maybe my C6H board is buggy, but I'm not going to RMA it because of the audio.

You'd think a gaming motherboard would focus on headphone audio. Maybe if I had true 7.1 headphones it would be better - I don't know - but I still like my G4me Ones.

Odd, I find the onboard audio of my C6H to be great, so much so that I've not even bothered to connect my valve headphone amp yet.

Make sure all "enhancements" are switched off in Sonic Studio.

For reference my 2 headphone sets are SoundMAGIC HP200 for music and Logitech UE6000 for Movies/Gaming, so neither are budget ones (both £200+ when new).

I have the same headphones and own Xonar too (in my case D2X).

I ended with disabling onboard audio. I connect headphones to rear analogue out of Xonar and SPDIF at the same time to my reciever and 5.1 setup, changing sound profile from Xonar switch for my preference (UI is good, unlike ROG/Realtek panel, that was not so overwhelming and clean).

In my case sound is not bad, all sounds correct at alc1200a/supremefx. But FLAT too. lacks of any positional fidelity and true sound quality experience. It's just have no resolution or dynamic in my opinion and not gaming at all, just good for teamspeak talking.
It's just a PR and nothing more, the same for Creative version of onboard audio. Discrette card will do better.

Don't take me wong, i was also try optical out to my reciever from onboard audio and it was not bad in terms of sound fidelity.
But after comparing to DTS/DDL and 3D positioning on discrette sound card, it's a little disappointment. Of course if you have one.

Anyway i bought this board not for sound primarily. So as you.

Celty2
Level 7
PeZzy wrote:

I would not call the Essence STX outdated, just because there is an Essence STX II now. It is still superior to any motherboard solution you will find.