cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VM - Strange number of partitions

landi_andrea
Level 7
Hello everyone,
I have a GL502VM DB71 and I was just wondering if what I see in disk management for the partitions of my primary disk (an SSD with windows 10 annyversary update) is normal or not.

I have never messed around with partitions and this is basically what my laptop came with (I did not do a clean reinstall of Windows). But having all these recovery partitions seems strange.

1) Can they be deleted safely?
2) Were they created by Windows or do they contain data from the manufacturer?

Thanks a lot.
3 REPLIES 3

U2Desire
Level 7
I think what happened is your system came with Win 10 1511 than when it upgraded to Anniversary it created another Recovery partition and created yet another when you upgraded to Creator's. I noticed when I installed Creator's it created another 790 MB partition. I had to go back to Anniversary via restore but still have that new partition so I think I am going to just do a clean install when NVidia sorts out the driver issue with ASUS laptops.

My laptop came with anniversary update already installed..I haven't managed yet to install the creators update.

I have not had a Win10 computer before, so I don't know if these partitions are normal, and I am having trouble finding any information on this. My laptop is a pile of crap, out of the box. It is barely able to play spider solitaire and free cell, and they have the nerve to call this a "ROG" gaming laptop. Granted, mine only came with 4GB of Kingsux VALUE RAM, which the OS uses almost completely, which also surprises me. I thought that the idea of new OS's, is to make them run faster, better, less heavy on resources. Maybe my laptop has other issues right out of the box. More annoying, there is absolutely ZERO support inside the box. No windows installation/tools/recovery CD, nothing.

Today, my crappy computer turned off, while attempting to play Half-Life2. Just went black, no BSOD. So I restarted, checked the temps, and went back to playing it again, this is only the second time I have tried to play that game. Crashed again, then refused to start back up. Did a check disc, and got the computer to run, but within 10 seconds, I lost the whole screen, just went black. I had a cursor, but no taskbar, start button, desktop.......ALL GONE.

It has been a while since I have had a running computer, budget wise, wasn't in the cards. I bought this, knowing I would have to upgrade to an SSD and ram, but I did expect it to run decently out of the box. Never in my many years of building my own computers, and for others, using Asus products, have I run into anything this ****ty. The C drive with all those weird partitions, no support discs or reinstallation software. Their pre-installed crappy anti-virus hitting on Asus software pre-installed as well. They did not TEST ONE PART OF THIS SYSTEM before putting the ROG logo on it, and shipping it out. I have had this paper weight for less than a MONTH. Asus support has been all but useless. Last week, they asked me for my login information to windows to further help me. Then said, "you can trust us with your private personal information", I all but laughed myself out of my chair!

I now have this dead computer, that I can only access programs, and write this reply, because I was clever enough to try and enter "task manager", and from there I have been searching for resolutions to the NUMEROUS problems that this junk has presented. For the money I spent on this "laptop gamer", I could have easily built a new rig, since I already have all the components ready to go. Just need a new mobo, RAM and processor, maybe a video card. But I have the case, the SSD's, plenty of platters, a great power supply, all the cooling, etc.

Instead, I ended up with this thing, as an interim computer until I build again. My old Dell D600 was ten times better than this pile of crap. I guess I will just download a WINDOWS ISO, wipe this harddrive completely, and install a fresh copy on my SSD using the key that I found using jellybee, probably won't work, but Asus has F-all in support discs.