Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair VI Hero x370
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    Memory (part number)G-skill 4x8 F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe
    CPU CoolerCase Integrated 360mm Liquid AIO
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Power SupplySilverstone Strider SST-ST1200-PT
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Stealth
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X6

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    122

    Yeah I was just letting it run stress tests when I stepped away to do other stuff to see if any of them caused instant failures. I'm fairly certain it was never even remotely stable, but it was nice to see real world gains on my own system, rather than just looking at youtube benchmarks, in almost everything I tested across the board. Cinebench is the only thing I used that didn't show any improvement. Ghost Recon Wildlands and For honor benchmarks, Geekbench, and 3DMark Timespy and Firestrike tests all showed, at least minor, consistent gains. Often all the way around, from physics tests to video frame rates.

    What really interested me though was that a few of those tests had saved results from when I was playing with overclocking my processor, and had runs saved at 4ghz. Comparing against those, the 4ghz CPU, 2666 DRAM results were generally nearly identical to the 3.6ghz CPU, 3200 DRAM runs.

    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu...seline=2522789
    Was enough to convince me that I chose the wrong RAM getting 2666, and I just ordered new kits.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos TimeSpy.jpg  

    Last edited by BaneSilvermoon; 04-17-2017 at 09:37 AM.

  2. #12
    untouched Array Praz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    137
    Posts
    4,038

    Quote Originally Posted by SexyTerrorisT View Post
    Seen anybody run 2 3200 Mhz 2X8 GB Flare X kits out of the box without an timmings or voltages adjustement whatsoever? If so your point might be valid but have not seen anybody so far. I really need the 32 GB as a big data dev. I would go 64 GB if speeds were not so low..
    Hello

    It is doubtful you will see this with any real stability. Most of the claims being made for memory stability should be taken with a grain of salt. CPU-Z validations and Cinebench results do not indicate memory stability. Although AMD still has quite a bit of work to do on this platform a lot of the posted issues can be traced to memory instability from incorrect user setups.

  3. #13
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    49

    Quote Originally Posted by SexyTerrorisT View Post
    Interesting i nice gain all across besides Face recognition and latency of course
    2666 cas 16 would be: 6 nanoseconds
    3200 cas 20 woulf be: 6.25 nanoseconds
    The calculation is a bit more evolved than that only considered Cas
    A slight hit on system responsiveness for some bandwidth gain

    20 mins of prime is not good enough. 24 houes mimum is needed

    Prime95 will barely test all features of modern cpu and does not heat it that much or hard compared to intel burn test.
    Try using the bundled asus tweaker software for stability. Has a nice range of how hard you want to test it.

    I know that i wont be satisfied with my cpu and ram oc until everything run perfect for 48 hours straight. The errors that will crop up without doing so are going to haunt you. At least me OS system corruption , files corruption, sofwtare crashes and the good old BSOD
    When it comes to stress tests, the number of 'required' hours often has me wondering, why that many hours ?

    So, why is a minimum of 24 hours of Prime95 needed ? What does 24 hours tell you that say 16 hours doesn't ? And would 48 hours tell you something that 24 hours doesn't.

    Heck and if 48 hours straight is required to 'prove' stability, then following the pattern, perhaps actually 72 hours straight is needed. Because then 72 hours might reveal something 48 hours didn't. Or, well, maybe just run the stress test solidly for a week, or maybe a month ?! Because well, maybe 72 hours won't actually be enough....and so on.

    So yes, what objectively does one, just one clean straight run of 48 hours prove over a single, clean straight run of 24 hours, or 12, or 6 hours. Probably nothing Because, of course, when it comes to science, you need more than just one single reading. You need a whole repeated series to get the average from. Because then, one of those '48 hour runs' might tip over at the 13 hour mark, throwing out the results !

    Now, the question becomes, how many '48 hour runs' are needed to prove the 48 hour stability claim...! And so the dog continues to chase its tail...

  4. #14
    untouched Array Praz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    137
    Posts
    4,038

    Quote Originally Posted by Theagg View Post
    When it comes to stress tests, the number of 'required' hours often has me wondering, why that many hours ?

    So, why is a minimum of 24 hours of Prime95 needed ? What does 24 hours tell you that say 16 hours doesn't ? And would 48 hours tell you something that 24 hours doesn't.

    Heck and if 48 hours straight is required to 'prove' stability, then following the pattern, perhaps actually 72 hours straight is needed. Because then 72 hours might reveal something 48 hours didn't. Or, well, maybe just run the stress test solidly for a week, or maybe a month ?! Because well, maybe 72 hours won't actually be enough....and so on.

    So yes, what objectively does one, just one clean straight run of 48 hours prove over a single, clean straight run of 24 hours, or 12, or 6 hours. Probably nothing Because, of course, when it comes to science, you need more than just one single reading. You need a whole repeated series to get the average from. Because then, one of those '48 hour runs' might tip over at the 13 hour mark, throwing out the results !

    Now, the question becomes, how many '48 hour runs' are needed to prove the 48 hour stability claim...! And so the dog continues to chase its tail...
    Hello

    When using Prime type programs each individual will need to determine how long is a satisfactory length of time to cook their CPU. If memory stability testing is the goal a better option is either HCI or GSAT. Either of these programs will find memory errors that the shake and bake utilities miss.

  5. #15
    ROG Enthusiast Array SexyTerrorisT PC Specs
    SexyTerrorisT PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VI Hero
    Processor1800X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1060 SC
    Monitor23' Acer 120 Hz GD245HQ
    Storage #1Samsung 1TB 960 Pro
    CPU CoolerEK-SUPREMACY EVO AMD, EK-CoolStream XE 360 ,EK-CoolStream CE 280 , EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial
    Case750D airflow edition
    Power SupplySeasonic 850 Prime Titanium
    Keyboard Razer Lycosa
    Mouse Razer Lachessis 5600
    OS Windows 10

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    16
    Posts
    32

    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Hello

    It is doubtful you will see this with any real stability. Most of the claims being made for memory stability should be taken with a grain of salt. CPU-Z validations and Cinebench results do not indicate memory stability. Although AMD still has quite a bit of work to do on this platform a lot of the posted issues can be traced to memory instability from incorrect user setups.
    Hello

    I agree think most times it does indeed need to be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe the next AMD update will let it push the envelope a bit. Stability is quite relative for many overclockers but there are some industry standards for that depending on the need.

  6. #16
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    49

    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Hello

    When using Prime type programs each individual will need to determine how long is a satisfactory length of time to cook their CPU. If memory stability testing is the goal a better option is either HCI or GSAT. Either of these programs will find memory errors that the shake and bake utilities miss.
    I was, of course, being a little sarcastic, but yes, its a subjective determination when it comes to quoting a specific number of hours as being 'right'. I will go take a peek at those two you mentioned.

  7. #17
    ROG Enthusiast Array SexyTerrorisT PC Specs
    SexyTerrorisT PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VI Hero
    Processor1800X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1060 SC
    Monitor23' Acer 120 Hz GD245HQ
    Storage #1Samsung 1TB 960 Pro
    CPU CoolerEK-SUPREMACY EVO AMD, EK-CoolStream XE 360 ,EK-CoolStream CE 280 , EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial
    Case750D airflow edition
    Power SupplySeasonic 850 Prime Titanium
    Keyboard Razer Lycosa
    Mouse Razer Lachessis 5600
    OS Windows 10

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    16
    Posts
    32

    Quote Originally Posted by Theagg View Post
    When it comes to stress tests, the number of 'required' hours often has me wondering, why that many hours ?

    So, why is a minimum of 24 hours of Prime95 needed ? What does 24 hours tell you that say 16 hours doesn't ? And would 48 hours tell you something that 24 hours doesn't.

    Heck and if 48 hours straight is required to 'prove' stability, then following the pattern, perhaps actually 72 hours straight is needed. Because then 72 hours might reveal something 48 hours didn't. Or, well, maybe just run the stress test solidly for a week, or maybe a month ?! Because well, maybe 72 hours won't actually be enough....and so on.

    So yes, what objectively does one, just one clean straight run of 48 hours prove over a single, clean straight run of 24 hours, or 12, or 6 hours. Probably nothing Because, of course, when it comes to science, you need more than just one single reading. You need a whole repeated series to get the average from. Because then, one of those '48 hour runs' might tip over at the 13 hour mark, throwing out the results !

    Now, the question becomes, how many '48 hour runs' are needed to prove the 48 hour stability claim...! And so the dog continues to chase its tail...

    I see were you are getting with this. We can argue that stability is quite relative depending on your needs and the type of workload you'll be running and for how long and under what temps. To put things into perspective nothing last forever. The more you zoom in the faster things transform and change state. From the lifespan of stars counted in billion of years to the wind that erodes montains in thousands of years to the electrons that rush through circuits at manometer scale in modern electronics.

    There are some industry standards set in by manufacturers that differ whether you are a consumer or a professional. When you buy a cpu you expect to work flawlessly until its MTBF (mean time between failure) 24/7 provided you run it within manufacturer defined environment. Prosumers have more critical application with higher needs that is why they use ECC memory to correct errors when they occur. You can get memory errors because of cosmological radiation..

    On a more practical level it all depends what you are going to run for how long and the rate of errors you are comfortable with. Is getting a BSOD everyday for you ok? A week ? A month? Maybe a year. I personally when overclocking i found errors to appear consistently after 24 hours that i did not manage to get even by running multiple shorter sessions. 48h for me is an arbitrary time i found from experience that i could not remember when the prior crash or bsod occured. Its a length of a period that has proven me good enough extrapolation under my usage pattern. Maybe i get a couple a year. More often during hot periods or when dust has overwhelmed my cooling system. In my line of work as a big data dev, the systems i use are designed with expecting every single part in a cluster to fail and to recover without interrupting the computation. And all the parts in those clusters are high quality xeons with ECC ram not overclocked. I really can not afford as a developer to waste time on errors I am not responsible or that i can't consistently recreate. Up to you to find what your needs are and how long you want your hardware to live and how well to operate.

    I think it's a funny that people just run Prime95 for some hours or 1 day really when this program algorithm is meant to search for huge Mesrene prime numbers that require massive computation power to run for years... Also as i stated before does not use all the cpu instruction set. Fid
    If you are intrested a couple easy vids to grasp the concept. Computation algorith is fancier that what you see in 2nd and 3rd video.
    The definition of Mesrene Primes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0xKHwQH-4I&t=330s
    The biggest Mesrene Prime yet:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=QSEKzFGpCQs
    Using Mesrene Primes to find the biggest prime number:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEvXcTYqtKU
    Last edited by SexyTerrorisT; 04-17-2017 at 05:44 PM.

  8. #18
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair VI Hero x370
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    Memory (part number)G-skill 4x8 F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe
    CPU CoolerCase Integrated 360mm Liquid AIO
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Power SupplySilverstone Strider SST-ST1200-PT
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Stealth
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X6

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    122

    Have to agree on the prime testing stuff. Hell I've been under the impression in recent years that I'm in the minority in even using it anymore. have seen a huge number of people say stressing the system that far is unnecessary because it's not real world load.

    Personally, I'd prefer to be sure my system can manage a load well beyond what I'll throw at it when I'm done. My finalized settings, once I'm completely done with any and all tweaking and don't plan to look at the BIOS again unless forced to, always gets a long Prime run at some point when I'm not going to be using the PC. Until then, I won't truly consider it stable.

    How long that run is, typically depends on what I'm doing and how badly I want to use my PC. But it tends to range anywhere from twelve hours to three days if I occupy myself with something else or just don't have a need to get on the computer for a while.

    It's all subjective and about what your fault tolerance and confidence level is. Clearly for some people that is less than even running something like Prime.

  9. #19
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    21

    I'm running a 4x8@2666 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 kit perfectly fine a bit over 3200 and even lowered the original timings. It works both with 1T and 2T BIOS.

    It's perfectly stable and I was running AIDA64 stress test for a couple of hours without issues. The only thing you should have in mind I've adjusted the base clock at around 120 MHz.

    http://hwbot.org/submission/3508576_...ram_1630.4_mhz
    http://hwbot.org/image/1815446.jpg

    The exact model is: CMD32GX4M4A2666C15

    I'm also waiting to receive a 2x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum kit @3200 to see if I can push it at even higher speeds and to see how a 2 stick kits works with Ryzen.

  10. #20
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chevell65 PC Specs
    chevell65 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z370-H, ROG Maximus VII Z97
    ProcessorIntel 4790K 4.6GHz, Intel i5 8400, Intel e8600 Wolfdale, Intel Q9650 Yorkfield, Intel E6750 Conroe
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill PC3600
    Graphics Card #1GTX 660 OC
    MonitorAsus 23"
    CaseCorsair clear case
    Power SupplyThermaltake
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G9
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterDLink DIR-655, Asus AC88
    chevell65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Reputation
    56
    Posts
    366

    I don't know if you guys have noticed this or not but the entirety of the Prime K sequence ends up repeating itself after about 8 hours with most CPU's.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •