Storage #1Samsung EVO 960, 500GB M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Sasmung EVO 840, 500GB SSD
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Mach 2 Rev.B
    CaseBeQuiet! Silent Base 800
    Power SupplyBeQuiet! 550W Dark Power 11
    OS Windows 10 64BIT Home OEM

[Issues] High CPU Voltage on auto settings and RAM Problems

Hello,

first i like to introduce myself and the system i builded.

I Apoligize in advance of my probaly bad english.

About myself:
    Im obviously and as the most of you a gamer who like to play mostly strategic game and doing some rendering stuff.
    I have been always "PRO-AMD" but due bad gaming performance the last decade i was more or less forced to join the
    dark intel side with an i5 2500k which i overlooked to 4,2GHZ. After 6 years of using this system im quiet happy to
    rejoin AMD. I personally think they did a great job and offering a great priced CPU.

System:
    CPU: AMD R7 1700X @ stock
    Mainboard: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR HERO VI @ Bios V1.002
    RAM: F4-3200C14D-16GTZ (G.Skill Trident Z but on QVL-List)
    Graphic card: EVGA 1070GTX FTW
    PU: BeQuiet! DarkPower 11 550W 80+ Platinum
    SSD: 1x Samsung EVO 960 M.2 500GB @ PCIe 3.0x4, 1x Samsung EVO 840 512GB and 1x 256GB @SATA
    CPU Fan: Thermaltake Macho 2 Rev.B (this name is aswful )
    Soundcard: CreativeSoundblasterFX
    Housing: BeQuiet! SilentBase 800 with DC fans -.-

All running on Windows 10 64BIT Home OEM

To my Problems: (there are several of them:

1.) My CPU Voltage is set on AUTO and without using EPU it peaks on XFR sometimes to 1.509V.
    I assume that way to high. With currently EPU enabled its seems to be only V1.25, but im not quiet sure
    if its a good choice to stay on EPU? I like to ask for your opinions or how im able to set the core voltage manually?
    (If im using normal offset mode i dunno really now from which value the offset is being set, the voltage is not always the same in BIOS)

2.) I Got my RAM working @ 3200MHZ with CL14 Timings etc. nevertheless im not quiet sure which D.C.O.P mode is the best?
    I set mine to D.C.O.P Standard and it seems the manufacturer stock settings are being used. But if I turn off my system for a while
    and boot it the next day, the Computer does sometimes a little repeat loop of 2 to 3 times before booting correctly?
    Do i have to care about that?

3.) When switching power off on PU and restarting the PC, the GigaBit LAN doesn´t work until restarting again.
    Do you have any advices here?

Thanks in Advance !

ROG Member Array

With my still limited experience with my R5 1600X, I've found that for some reason Ryzen likes to idle at high voltages (on auto and even offset) and the voltage drops back down when it is loaded and never goes above 1.33V (on stock clocks and auto voltage). I don't know if that is just a thing with the C6H or if it is something with Ryzen as a whole. I wish I could help you with finding the right voltages but I'm still trying to figure them out myself but I thought I'd share my observation on the auto voltage.

As for the RAM thing, I have been encountering similar issues, sometimes the system just decides that it doesn't like my 3200MHz ram, fails to POST, and clocks my RAM back down to 2133 making me have to go into the BIOS to save and exit. I haven't found a fix for it personally but maybe someone else has

ROG Enthusiast Array SinartNZ PC Specs
    SinartNZ PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMU16GX4M2C3200C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1080Ti Founders Edition
    MonitorAcer X34
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110i
    CaseNZXT H440 Black
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80+ Gold Full Modular
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset Logitech 633
    OS Windows 10 X64 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by FightFear View Post
    Hello,

1.) My CPU Voltage is set on AUTO and without using EPU it peaks on XFR sometimes to 1.509V.
    I assume that way to high. With currently EPU enabled its seems to be only V1.25, but im not quiet sure
    if its a good choice to stay on EPU? I like to ask for your opinions or how im able to set the core voltage manually?
    (If im using normal offset mode i dunno really now from which value the offset is being set, the voltage is not always the same in BIOS)

2.) I Got my RAM working @ 3200MHZ with CL14 Timings etc. nevertheless im not quiet sure which D.C.O.P mode is the best?
    I set mine to D.C.O.P Standard and it seems the manufacturer stock settings are being used. But if I turn off my system for a while
    and boot it the next day, the Computer does sometimes a little repeat loop of 2 to 3 times before booting correctly?
    Do i have to care about that?

3.) When switching power off on PU and restarting the PC, the GigaBit LAN doesn´t work until restarting again.
    Do you have any advices here?

Thanks in Advance !
    In Reply.

Problem 1:
    Which monitoring software are you using, as some still at this point are not reporting correct values.

Problem 2:
    At this stage I'd suggest not using the D.O.C.P and stick with manually setting your RAM speed and Voltage. The reboot is part of the memory training process, If you try either bios 081 or 082 you'll find the number of restarts reduced.

Problem 3:
    This is a not an issue I have seen personally or on any of the forums/reddits I have been following to do with all things AMD/Ryzen. Although I would suggest that when you turn the PSU back on give it a 10 count before firing up the system. I can't remember why I do it myself but I've been doing it for so long now its just a habit.

ROG Member Array FightFear PC Specs
    FightFear PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair Hero VI
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen R7 1700X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1070GTX FTW
    Sound CardCreative Soundblaster FX
    MonitorACER XB240H GSync 144MHZ

Quote Originally Posted by SinartNZ View Post
    In Reply.

Problem 1:
    Which monitoring software are you using, as some still at this point are not reporting correct values.

Problem 2:
    At this stage I'd suggest not using the D.O.C.P and stick with manually setting your RAM speed and Voltage. The reboot is part of the memory training process, If you try either bios 081 or 082 you'll find the number of restarts reduced.

Problem 3:
    This is a not an issue I have seen personally or on any of the forums/reddits I have been following to do with all things AMD/Ryzen. Although I would suggest that when you turn the PSU back on give it a 10 count before firing up the system. I can't remember why I do it myself but I've been doing it for so long now its just a habit.
    Thanks for the reply!

1.) CPU-Z / AMD RyzenMaster and ASUS AI Suite 3 were showing the same values. (With EPU im currently in save value areas, im just not sure if this effects the performance)

2.) Ok i will try, but which values do i have to set manually?

- AI Tweaker: D.C.O.P (Manual)
    - DRAM Frequenz: (3200Mhz)
    - DRAM Timings: (14-14-14-34) ?
    - DRAM Voltage: (V1,35)
    - DRAM Boot Voltage: (V1,35)

Any more values?

Regarding the reboot loop:
    Aren´t the bios 081 or 082 old versions? (ASUS support site lists only https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards...Desk_Download/ v1.002)
    If so, wouldn´t it make more sense to wait for newer versions?

3.) Maybe i should lock the PSU on power and buy another powerstrip without a switch...^^

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the reply!

1.) CPU-Z / AMD RyzenMaster and ASUS AI Suite 3 were showing the same values. (With EPU im currently in save value areas, im just not sure if this effects the performance)

2.) Ok i will try, but which values do i have to set manually?

- AI Tweaker: D.C.O.P (Manual)
    - DRAM Frequenz: (3200Mhz)
    - DRAM Timings: (14-14-14-34) ?
    - DRAM Voltage: (V1,35)
    - DRAM Boot Voltage: (V1,35)

Any more values?

Regarding the reboot loop:
    Aren´t the bios 081 or 082 old versions? (ASUS support site lists only https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards...Desk_Download/ v1.002)
    If so, wouldn´t it make more sense to wait for newer versions?

3.) Maybe i should lock the PSU on power and buy another powerstrip without a switch...^^
    The BIOS 081, 082 and 083 are all test betas for the moment but I have seen a rumor that 083 will likely be the next official version. Take that with a grain of salt though as it is only a rumor. Some have had luck with raising DRAM boot voltage to help successfully boot with higher RAM speed, some have even gone beyond 1.4 Volts with this setting.

SinartNZ PC Specs
    MonitorAcer X34
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110i
    CaseNZXT H440 Black
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset Logitech 633
    OS Windows 10 X64 Pro

These are the only things I set manually to get my 3200 ram working

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170418_154518.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	64043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170418_154538.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	64044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170418_154612.jpg 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	64045

ROG Guru: White Belt Array BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair VI Hero x370
    Memory (part number)G-skill 4x8 F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe
    CPU CoolerCase Integrated 360mm Liquid AIO
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Power SupplySilverstone Strider SST-ST1200-PT
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Stealth
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X6

After a few weeks with Ryzen, the CPU voltage peak is the one thing that's still nagging at me a bit. I haven't yet managed to get it at a point where it doesn't occasionally peak higher than I'd like either. Starting to consider just manually specifying an amount, but since I haven't been using any core overclock, I was kind of hoping to make high use of power saving options. Even with it under-volted and running an average around 1.2v, it still seems to peak up above 1.5 fairly consistently.

ROG Member Array FightFear PC Specs
    FightFear PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair Hero VI
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen R7 1700X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1070GTX FTW
    Sound CardCreative Soundblaster FX
    MonitorACER XB240H GSync 144MHZ

Quote Originally Posted by SinartNZ View Post
    These are the only things I set manually to get my 3200 ram working

Name:	IMG_20170418_154518.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	64043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170418_154538.jpg 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	64044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170418_154612.jpg 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	64045
    Didn´t you config the RAM timings? Or are they slower as intended by the manufacturer?

I have a little update aswell:
    I just ran PRIME 95 for a hour an everythings works fine on @3200MHZ 14-14-14-34. (D.C.O.P Standard)
    The bios loop however remain unchanged... if I set the values manual to wanted frequence etc. the situation gets even worse, because a never ending boot loop is occuring.

The CPU is also thermal throttling a little and only stock frequences are used on Prime 95. XFR gets disabled if reaching 42C°...(Info from RyzenMaster)
    (Here is a little question: I read somewhere AMD is putting a offset of 20C° to protect the CPU. Is RyzenMaster the only software which subtracts this offset?)

@Bane
    With EPU enabled and running D.C.O.P Standard, the max. Voltage is V1.22. There are no longer any peaks for me.

SinartNZ PC Specs
    MonitorAcer X34
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110i
    CaseNZXT H440 Black
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset Logitech 633
    OS Windows 10 X64 Pro

Nah I didnt bother messing with the Ram timings as they trained in pretty well by themselves.

Name:	ram1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	64063

Name:	ram2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	64064

Didn´t you config the RAM timings? Or are they slower as intended by the manufacturer?

I have a little update aswell:
    I just ran PRIME 95 for a hour an everythings works fine on @3200MHZ 14-14-14-34. (D.C.O.P Standard)
    The bios loop however remain unchanged... if I set the values manual to wanted frequence etc. the situation gets even worse, because a never ending boot loop is occuring.

The CPU is also thermal throttling a little and only stock frequences are used on Prime 95. XFR gets disabled if reaching 42C°...(Info from RyzenMaster)
    (Here is a little question: I read somewhere AMD is putting a offset of 20C° to protect the CPU. Is RyzenMaster the only software which subtracts this offset?)

@Bane
    With EPU enabled and running D.C.O.P Standard, the max. Voltage is V1.22. There are no longer any peaks for me.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair VI Hero x370
    Memory (part number)G-skill 4x8 F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe
    CPU CoolerCase Integrated 360mm Liquid AIO
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Power SupplySilverstone Strider SST-ST1200-PT
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Stealth
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X6

I'm not typically real big on excess power savings settings, but I may try that EPU until I decide to mess with CPU overclocking again. Personally if I can't get it to at least 4.0 stable, it doesn't seem worth the added heat and losing XFR to me. 3.8 is the highest stable OC I've gotten on it so far.
    Being that I'm running a negative voltage offset on the cores at stock speed, and XFR still boosts it to 3.7 under full load, bumping up the voltage to over-clock is making a very significant temperature difference in comparison.

I just swapped out to four 8 gig sticks of 3200 memory today. Have been playing with timings and voltage for hours.
    I'm getting the same occasional cycling restart on post. Looking around the forums here it sounds like it's a known issue. Loosening my timings helps a bit, but even with them set crazy high, and the voltage cranked, it didn't completely go away, so I decided to just tolerate it and tried to find some timings that were as tight as I could be sure wouldn't go into a permanent post loop.

For reference, my stick timings are supposed to be
    3200 1.35v 14 14 14 34 (It looked like 2 sticks would post to this fine, but I didn't really test it to verify stability)
    What I'm currently running is
    3200 1.35v 18 16 16 45

Lowering CAS any further has been completely unsuccessful. I could possibly tighten the others up a bit more but I'm going to stick with that for now and fully stress test that.

::update::
    So my core voltage still peaks up around 1.48 - 1.5 regularly, but I noticed LLC seems to be knocking that out under load. Running Prime the highest voltage was 1.23, but as soon as I stopped Prime it started bouncing up near 1.5 again.
    Last edited by BaneSilvermoon; 04-19-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast