MonitorACER XB240H GSync 144MHZ
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 960, 500GB M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Sasmung EVO 840, 500GB SSD
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Mach 2 Rev.B
    CaseBeQuiet! Silent Base 800
    Power SupplyBeQuiet! 550W Dark Power 11
    OS Windows 10 64BIT Home OEM

Quote Originally Posted by BaneSilvermoon View Post
    I'm not typically real big on excess power savings settings, but I may try that EPU until I decide to mess with CPU overclocking again. Personally if I can't get it to at least 4.0 stable, it doesn't seem worth the added heat and losing XFR to me. 3.8 is the highest stable OC I've gotten on it so far.
    Being that I'm running a negative voltage offset on the cores at stock speed, and XFR still boosts it to 3.7 under full load, bumping up the voltage to over-clock is making a very significant temperature difference in comparison.

I just swapped out to four 8 gig sticks of 3200 memory today. Have been playing with timings and voltage for hours.
    I'm getting the same occasional cycling restart on post. Looking around the forums here it sounds like it's a known issue. Loosening my timings helps a bit, but even with them set crazy high, and the voltage cranked, it didn't completely go away, so I decided to just tolerate it and tried to find some timings that were as tight as I could be sure wouldn't go into a permanent post loop.

For reference, my stick timings are supposed to be
    3200 1.35v 14 14 14 34 (It looked like 2 sticks would post to this fine, but I didn't really test it to verify stability)
    What I'm currently running is
    3200 1.35v 18 16 16 45

Lowering CAS any further has been completely unsuccessful. I could possibly tighten the others up a bit more but I'm going to stick with that for now and fully stress test that.

::update::
    So my core voltage still peaks up around 1.48 - 1.5 regularly, but I noticed LLC seems to be knocking that out under load. Running Prime the highest voltage was 1.23, but as soon as I stopped Prime it started bouncing up near 1.5 again.
    Well, even with EPU turned on i notice the same behavior. In idle the voltage peaks, but under stress it stays for hours on the same value.
    However after many days of using my new reg i encouter some microstuttering in games and I ainīt using multi GPUs.
    May this be caused because of faulty RAM or faulty RAM setup?

In Prime95 however everything seems to be fine.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by BaneSilvermoon View Post
    After a few weeks with Ryzen, the CPU voltage peak is the one thing that's still nagging at me a bit. I haven't yet managed to get it at a point where it doesn't occasionally peak higher than I'd like either. Starting to consider just manually specifying an amount, but since I haven't been using any core overclock, I was kind of hoping to make high use of power saving options. Even with it under-volted and running an average around 1.2v, it still seems to peak up above 1.5 fairly consistently.
    I had similar concerns. The board on auto was pushing 1.4+ to the chip and I felt this was truly bad due to AMD and most overclocks recommend 1.35 to 1.375 for a stable 4ghz. The way I rectified this was setting load line calibration to level 3, setting the CPU multiplier to 39, and setting manual voltage to 1.385.

For whatever reason you have to set the volts higher on the board in bios for them to read 1.373 in windows under full stress testing via cpu-z or HWInfo64. I know the OP and etc have not overclocked their chips but this is what I did to get a stable system at lower voltages and gained an overclock on my 1700x

I am also running Corsair LPX 3200 @ 3200 using DOCP Standard settings. Nothing else touched for the Ram. I got lucky with my sticks as they are the Samsung dies.

Hope my information helps.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair VI Hero x370
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    Memory (part number)G-skill 4x8 F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe
    CPU CoolerCase Integrated 360mm Liquid AIO
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Power SupplySilverstone Strider SST-ST1200-PT
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Stealth
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X6

Quote Originally Posted by FightFear View Post
    after many days of using my new reg i encouter some microstuttering in games and I ainīt using multi GPUs.
    May this be caused because of faulty RAM or faulty RAM setup?
    I actually noticed something like that last night as well. However it was only in one game, a new one I had just installed. And I only noticed it in the launcher menu. If it occurred once the full screen game fired up, I didn't see it.

That said. I AM testing out lower RAM timings that are not necessarily stable right now as well. But the whole thing could just be an unrelated coincidence anyway.

BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home

Quote Originally Posted by laterbreh View Post
    I had similar concerns. The board on auto was pushing 1.4+ to the chip and I felt this was truly bad due to AMD and most overclocks recommend 1.35 to 1.375 for a stable 4ghz. The way I rectified this was setting load line calibration to level 3, setting the CPU multiplier to 39, and setting manual voltage to 1.385.

For whatever reason you have to set the volts higher on the board in bios for them to read 1.373 in windows under full stress testing via cpu-z or HWInfo64. I know the OP and etc have not overclocked their chips but this is what I did to get a stable system at lower voltages and gained an overclock on my 1700x

I am also running Corsair LPX 3200 @ 3200 using DOCP Standard settings. Nothing else touched for the Ram. I got lucky with my sticks as they are the Samsung dies.

Hope my information helps.
    Noted. I may play around with some of those options with what I have set currently and see if I can clean it up any on that. I do plan to consider over-clocking again once I'm done messing with RAM settings. If I could manage over 4.0 stable, I might actually keep it that way. But anything less than that and the heat gain doesn't seem worth it to me. And in my brief testing when I first built the system, the highest I managed stable was 3.8, which was definitely not worth a 10 degree increase for 100mhz.

ROG Member Array FightFear PC Specs
    FightFear PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair Hero VI
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen R7 1700X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1070GTX FTW
    Sound CardCreative Soundblaster FX

Some further Updates:

I updated my bios to BETA V0.83 without any problems so far. In addition it seems that the "cold start BUG" seems to be improved a little since my systems isnīt running a second booting loop while testing the memory.

The stuttering in Windows etc. on my fresh Win 10 Home 64Bit installation was caused by a failing windows update. The Windows updater, running within svchost.exe couldnīt connect to the server and therefore kept reconnecting. This lead so massive CPU spikes on all cores, but just on at the time.
    I solved this by installing the win 10 creators update manually.

My RAM works so far @3200MHZ 14-14-14-34, MemTest 86 didnīt find any error.

However even with EPU turned ON several softwares notice VCore spikes in my System. (HWinfo64, AI Suite, CPU-Z, RyzenMaster, SandraSiSoft etc.)
    Even in BIOS Settings a core voltage around V1.45 is permanently displayed.

Sadly, nobody told me so far how solve this problem and i havenīt been able to do it by myself.

I understood so far that using manual core voltage disables any energy saving functions and isnīt ideal when using stock frequencys.
    So i want to use voltage offsets, but I ainīt sure how to use it.
    Offsets means for me that an offset will be applied to certain different core voltages, which range widly.
    To explain my insecurity, if running full throttle mode because there is no load on the cpu, the voltage lowers to V0.55.
    This is perfectly fine and needs no adjustment. If Im going to apply however a -offset this would even lower this perfectly adjusted voltage.
    I donīt want this to happen nor am I sure if this systems will be staying stable. Btw.: The Systems isnīt throttling down often when using energy saving plan "Ryzen Balanced", 95% of the time the CPU remains on 3,5GHZ without load and sometimes peaks to 3,8 GHZ.

So in a nutshell: Do i understand something wrong? Is there a way to apply the an -Offset to the maximum core voltage? via LoadLineCalibration or something like that? Or are there already an threads for this problem with exactly explained solving guides?

I really fear that the auto settings will destroy my CPU in the short term....:/
    Last edited by FightFear; 04-22-2017 at 12:09 PM.

BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home

I typically run a negative offset of about .025. No issues yet with CPU stability.
    Look in your advanced settings in the Ryzen power plan and see if you can adjust the minimum processor speed. When I installed the Ryzen plan, the default was a minimum of 90%. They built it to be similar to the high performance plan without shutting off all power saving.

FightFear PC Specs

Well this helped to throttle down the CPU more often. Thank you
    I set minimum value to 50%. No Stuttering within Windows at the moment.

Beside your little offset, did you adjust the load line calibration or something else?
    And is your turbo frequence working? (Here it seems only XFR is working, without the turbo for 2 cores)
    Are you using SMT and SVM?

FightFear PC Specs

*push*

I read on many different forums about people who are getting really high Vcore Peaks @ stock settings and mostly everything is on [auto].
    For myself I still havenīt manage to solve my problem.

To be cleare, i read the vcore with different tools (HWInfo64, AMDRyzenMaster, CPU-Z, AI Suite 3 etc.) and the current values are often
    around V1.504. Even in BIOS the system stated V1.494 which is abnormaly high and greatly above AMDs recommendation.
    By the way, i fear that even other voltages may be way to high. (SOC is around V1.1 and "normal" seems to be V0.9)

My Problem is, if using manual mode, the CPU isnīt going to throttle Vcore under my adjustments and therefore uses way to much energy in idle.
    I understood so far, that manual mode deactivates adaptive Vcore. So the obvious choice is to go with offset mode.

Sadly I am confused about many things, listed below:

1.) BIOS is giving a current VCore of V1.494. If i use for example offset mode with "-" sign and a given value. Will this ofset apply to this value or some other default Vcore?
    2.) Does this offset apply in the same size for lower P-States ? And would nīt this affect the system stability?
    3.) Is it correct to assume that other P-States have to much VCore aswell?
    3.) Do i have to adjust any other values? For Example LLC?

Many thanks in advance!

BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home

Somebody else would have to speak to that to give real details about exact mechanics on most of the power stuff. Some of this is fairly new to me with this board as well. I haven't been inside a new systems BIOS since 2011.

My understanding is that the offsets are indeed applied across all power states. I haven't needed to work with LLC much yet and have only played around with it. Both of these things were new to me with this build. I've also been mainly testing memory timings for the last couple weeks, so I've been keeping my CPU voltage a bit higher than usual and haven't been making any changes to it, just to be positive that any issues I see are indeed memory related.

As I'm typing this, I routinely see two cores bouncing up to 4.092 in HWINFO, while the rest are at 3.7. All 8 cores have registered at 4.0 at some point over the last few minutes. I do still have core voltage jumping up to 1.52 at times. Vcore average in the mobo section is 1.2 currently, CPU Core average in the CPU section is 1.45. This drops under load. I've been considering at some point testing out LLC level 5 with a significant negative offset to see if I can lower my idle voltage while maintaining the load voltage and overall stability.

The BIOS voltages are probably a pretty good indication of what average CPU Core voltage may show, as all power savings options are disabled while in the BIOS. I THINK the offset should apply there however. I really don't know enough about any of these other voltages to really know what they should be.

ROG Member Array

Over on the overclock forums Asus thread, they (a rep from Asus named Elmor) released the ZenStates P-State application. This will allow you to adjust the power saving options WITH overclocks.

S1l3ntD37h shared his bios settings and voltages for his 1700. Maybe this can help you. I'm in the process of trying these out on my 1700x.

First this link contains a screenshot of his voltages at his 3 specified P-States using the ZenStates program (Note: you have to be on 0079 beta bios OR BETTER, you need the newest microcode updates): http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/r...g-thread/11150

Second this thread shows every single one of his bios settings:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1625289/1...-project-ryzen

Originally Posted by S1L3N7D3A7H View Post

Whenever you manually overclock, and go above the factory set levels, the CPU enters OC mode. In OC mode, all power saving options are disabled.

I wouldn't mess with the EPU at all if you're overclocking. That would only be useful in a handful of ultra low power use cases.

Right now, I would recommend using one of the AGESA code BIOS' (0079 or later) and the new ZenStates 0.2.2 program elmor put out.

Just set your CPU voltage to auto, manually set your other voltages, and set global c states to enabled. Disable bank group swap, if you are using single RANK DIMMs.

If you're using the default Ryzen power profile that came in the latest chipset driver, you will need to change the minimum processor state down to 0% to get proper down clocking for the P1 and P2 states.
    By other voltages hes referring to your ram. If you are unsure check second link, and look at his bios settings.

Hope this can help you achieve what you are looking for. Lower voltages and higher clocks
    Last edited by laterbreh; 04-26-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast