cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Issues] High CPU Voltage on auto settings and RAM Problems

FightFear
Level 7
Hello,

first i like to introduce myself and the system i builded.

I Apoligize in advance of my probaly bad english.

About myself:
Im obviously and as the most of you a gamer who like to play mostly strategic game and doing some rendering stuff.
I have been always "PRO-AMD" but due bad gaming performance the last decade i was more or less forced to join the
dark intel side with an i5 2500k which i overlooked to 4,2GHZ. After 6 years of using this system im quiet happy to
rejoin AMD. I personally think they did a great job and offering a great priced CPU.

System:
CPU: AMD R7 1700X @ stock
Mainboard: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR HERO VI @ Bios V1.002
RAM: F4-3200C14D-16GTZ (G.Skill Trident Z but on QVL-List)
Graphic card: EVGA 1070GTX FTW
PU: BeQuiet! DarkPower 11 550W 80+ Platinum
SSD: 1x Samsung EVO 960 M.2 500GB @ PCIe 3.0x4, 1x Samsung EVO 840 512GB and 1x 256GB @SATA
CPU Fan: Thermaltake Macho 2 Rev.B (this name is aswful :D)
Soundcard: CreativeSoundblasterFX
Housing: BeQuiet! SilentBase 800 with DC fans -.-

All running on Windows 10 64BIT Home OEM

To my Problems: (there are several of them:

1.) My CPU Voltage is set on AUTO and without using EPU it peaks on XFR sometimes to 1.509V.
I assume that way to high. With currently EPU enabled its seems to be only V1.25, but im not quiet sure
if its a good choice to stay on EPU? I like to ask for your opinions or how im able to set the core voltage manually?
(If im using normal offset mode i dunno really now from which value the offset is being set, the voltage is not always the same in BIOS)

2.) I Got my RAM working @ 3200MHZ with CL14 Timings etc. nevertheless im not quiet sure which D.C.O.P mode is the best?
I set mine to D.C.O.P Standard and it seems the manufacturer stock settings are being used. But if I turn off my system for a while
and boot it the next day, the Computer does sometimes a little repeat loop of 2 to 3 times before booting correctly?
Do i have to care about that?

3.) When switching power off on PU and restarting the PC, the GigaBit LAN doesn´t work until restarting again.
Do you have any advices here?

Thanks in Advance ! 🙂
23 REPLIES 23

kiaxa
Level 7
With my still limited experience with my R5 1600X, I've found that for some reason Ryzen likes to idle at high voltages (on auto and even offset) and the voltage drops back down when it is loaded and never goes above 1.33V (on stock clocks and auto voltage). I don't know if that is just a thing with the C6H or if it is something with Ryzen as a whole. I wish I could help you with finding the right voltages but I'm still trying to figure them out myself but I thought I'd share my observation on the auto voltage.

As for the RAM thing, I have been encountering similar issues, sometimes the system just decides that it doesn't like my 3200MHz ram, fails to POST, and clocks my RAM back down to 2133 making me have to go into the BIOS to save and exit. I haven't found a fix for it personally but maybe someone else has

SinartNZ
Level 7
FightFear wrote:
Hello,

1.) My CPU Voltage is set on AUTO and without using EPU it peaks on XFR sometimes to 1.509V.
I assume that way to high. With currently EPU enabled its seems to be only V1.25, but im not quiet sure
if its a good choice to stay on EPU? I like to ask for your opinions or how im able to set the core voltage manually?
(If im using normal offset mode i dunno really now from which value the offset is being set, the voltage is not always the same in BIOS)

2.) I Got my RAM working @ 3200MHZ with CL14 Timings etc. nevertheless im not quiet sure which D.C.O.P mode is the best?
I set mine to D.C.O.P Standard and it seems the manufacturer stock settings are being used. But if I turn off my system for a while
and boot it the next day, the Computer does sometimes a little repeat loop of 2 to 3 times before booting correctly?
Do i have to care about that?

3.) When switching power off on PU and restarting the PC, the GigaBit LAN doesn´t work until restarting again.
Do you have any advices here?

Thanks in Advance ! 🙂

In Reply.

Problem 1:
Which monitoring software are you using, as some still at this point are not reporting correct values.

Problem 2:
At this stage I'd suggest not using the D.O.C.P and stick with manually setting your RAM speed and Voltage. The reboot is part of the memory training process, If you try either bios 081 or 082 you'll find the number of restarts reduced.

Problem 3:
This is a not an issue I have seen personally or on any of the forums/reddits I have been following to do with all things AMD/Ryzen. Although I would suggest that when you turn the PSU back on give it a 10 count before firing up the system. I can't remember why I do it myself but I've been doing it for so long now its just a habit.

SinartNZ wrote:
In Reply.

Problem 1:
Which monitoring software are you using, as some still at this point are not reporting correct values.

Problem 2:
At this stage I'd suggest not using the D.O.C.P and stick with manually setting your RAM speed and Voltage. The reboot is part of the memory training process, If you try either bios 081 or 082 you'll find the number of restarts reduced.

Problem 3:
This is a not an issue I have seen personally or on any of the forums/reddits I have been following to do with all things AMD/Ryzen. Although I would suggest that when you turn the PSU back on give it a 10 count before firing up the system. I can't remember why I do it myself but I've been doing it for so long now its just a habit.

Thanks for the reply!

1.) CPU-Z / AMD RyzenMaster and ASUS AI Suite 3 were showing the same values. (With EPU im currently in save value areas, im just not sure if this effects the performance)

2.) Ok i will try, but which values do i have to set manually?

- AI Tweaker: D.C.O.P (Manual)
- DRAM Frequenz: (3200Mhz)
- DRAM Timings: (14-14-14-34) ?
- DRAM Voltage: (V1,35)
- DRAM Boot Voltage: (V1,35)

Any more values?

Regarding the reboot loop:
Aren´t the bios 081 or 082 old versions? (ASUS support site lists only https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/ v1.002)
If so, wouldn´t it make more sense to wait for newer versions?

3.) Maybe i should lock the PSU on power and buy another powerstrip without a switch...^^

FightFear wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

1.) CPU-Z / AMD RyzenMaster and ASUS AI Suite 3 were showing the same values. (With EPU im currently in save value areas, im just not sure if this effects the performance)

2.) Ok i will try, but which values do i have to set manually?

- AI Tweaker: D.C.O.P (Manual)
- DRAM Frequenz: (3200Mhz)
- DRAM Timings: (14-14-14-34) ?
- DRAM Voltage: (V1,35)
- DRAM Boot Voltage: (V1,35)

Any more values?

Regarding the reboot loop:
Aren´t the bios 081 or 082 old versions? (ASUS support site lists only https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/ v1.002)
If so, wouldn´t it make more sense to wait for newer versions?

3.) Maybe i should lock the PSU on power and buy another powerstrip without a switch...^^

The BIOS 081, 082 and 083 are all test betas for the moment but I have seen a rumor that 083 will likely be the next official version. Take that with a grain of salt though as it is only a rumor. Some have had luck with raising DRAM boot voltage to help successfully boot with higher RAM speed, some have even gone beyond 1.4 Volts with this setting.

These are the only things I set manually to get my 3200 ram working

After a few weeks with Ryzen, the CPU voltage peak is the one thing that's still nagging at me a bit. I haven't yet managed to get it at a point where it doesn't occasionally peak higher than I'd like either. Starting to consider just manually specifying an amount, but since I haven't been using any core overclock, I was kind of hoping to make high use of power saving options. Even with it under-volted and running an average around 1.2v, it still seems to peak up above 1.5 fairly consistently.

BaneSilvermoon wrote:
After a few weeks with Ryzen, the CPU voltage peak is the one thing that's still nagging at me a bit. I haven't yet managed to get it at a point where it doesn't occasionally peak higher than I'd like either. Starting to consider just manually specifying an amount, but since I haven't been using any core overclock, I was kind of hoping to make high use of power saving options. Even with it under-volted and running an average around 1.2v, it still seems to peak up above 1.5 fairly consistently.

I had similar concerns. The board on auto was pushing 1.4+ to the chip and I felt this was truly bad due to AMD and most overclocks recommend 1.35 to 1.375 for a stable 4ghz. The way I rectified this was setting load line calibration to level 3, setting the CPU multiplier to 39, and setting manual voltage to 1.385.

For whatever reason you have to set the volts higher on the board in bios for them to read 1.373 in windows under full stress testing via cpu-z or HWInfo64. I know the OP and etc have not overclocked their chips but this is what I did to get a stable system at lower voltages and gained an overclock on my 1700x

I am also running Corsair LPX 3200 @ 3200 using DOCP Standard settings. Nothing else touched for the Ram. I got lucky with my sticks as they are the Samsung dies.

Hope my information helps.

laterbreh wrote:
I had similar concerns. The board on auto was pushing 1.4+ to the chip and I felt this was truly bad due to AMD and most overclocks recommend 1.35 to 1.375 for a stable 4ghz. The way I rectified this was setting load line calibration to level 3, setting the CPU multiplier to 39, and setting manual voltage to 1.385.

For whatever reason you have to set the volts higher on the board in bios for them to read 1.373 in windows under full stress testing via cpu-z or HWInfo64. I know the OP and etc have not overclocked their chips but this is what I did to get a stable system at lower voltages and gained an overclock on my 1700x

I am also running Corsair LPX 3200 @ 3200 using DOCP Standard settings. Nothing else touched for the Ram. I got lucky with my sticks as they are the Samsung dies.

Hope my information helps.

Noted. I may play around with some of those options with what I have set currently and see if I can clean it up any on that. I do plan to consider over-clocking again once I'm done messing with RAM settings. If I could manage over 4.0 stable, I might actually keep it that way. But anything less than that and the heat gain doesn't seem worth it to me. And in my brief testing when I first built the system, the highest I managed stable was 3.8, which was definitely not worth a 10 degree increase for 100mhz.

Some further Updates:

I updated my bios to BETA V0.83 without any problems so far. In addition it seems that the "cold start BUG" seems to be improved a little since my systems isn´t running a second booting loop while testing the memory.

The stuttering in Windows etc. on my fresh Win 10 Home 64Bit installation was caused by a failing windows update. The Windows updater, running within svchost.exe couldn´t connect to the server and therefore kept reconnecting. This lead so massive CPU spikes on all cores, but just on at the time.
I solved this by installing the win 10 creators update manually.

My RAM works so far @3200MHZ 14-14-14-34, MemTest 86 didn´t find any error.

However even with EPU turned ON several softwares notice VCore spikes in my System. (HWinfo64, AI Suite, CPU-Z, RyzenMaster, SandraSiSoft etc.)
Even in BIOS Settings a core voltage around V1.45 is permanently displayed.

Sadly, nobody told me so far how solve this problem and i haven´t been able to do it by myself.

I understood so far that using manual core voltage disables any energy saving functions and isn´t ideal when using stock frequencys.
So i want to use voltage offsets, but I ain´t sure how to use it.
Offsets means for me that an offset will be applied to certain different core voltages, which range widly.
To explain my insecurity, if running full throttle mode because there is no load on the cpu, the voltage lowers to V0.55.
This is perfectly fine and needs no adjustment. If Im going to apply however a -offset this would even lower this perfectly adjusted voltage.
I don´t want this to happen nor am I sure if this systems will be staying stable. Btw.: The Systems isn´t throttling down often when using energy saving plan "Ryzen Balanced", 95% of the time the CPU remains on 3,5GHZ without load and sometimes peaks to 3,8 GHZ.

So in a nutshell: Do i understand something wrong? Is there a way to apply the an -Offset to the maximum core voltage? via LoadLineCalibration or something like that? Or are there already an threads for this problem with exactly explained solving guides?

I really fear that the auto settings will destroy my CPU in the short term....:/