cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power failure on during boot

I3althasar
Level 7
Hi rog forum members,

i am having some trouble settting up my f4-3200c16q-16gvk g.skill ripjaws V ram. I am using a crosshair vi with bios version 0082 (have also tried 1002 and 0083 same situation) and a 1700x, everything works fine at standard settings (except a high vcore of >1.5V at auto settings).

When i try to change the ram frequency from standard 2133 to e.g. 2400 and save the changes the computer does not restart but instead looses power and i have to manually press the power button to get it to start.

I have done some research in order to isolate the exact problem and i have found that when i leave everything on factory settings and try to adjust the dram boot voltage the same problem occurs.

After this happens and i try to power up again i tried and get some error readings from the internal LED display on the motherboard. First the little lamp for the ram initilization lights up and some numbers change really quickyl ( i have recorded it in slow motion ) and this process seems to finish at least.

Following this the little cpu lamp lights up and soon after again power is lost and the process aborts.I can only enter the BIOS after this has happened if i reset CMOS using the button on the back side or if i use the safeboot button on the mainboard (on the bottom of the board near the big START button)

I assume this is not normal behavior and i was wondering if it is likely this is due to a faulty mainboard or if its related to another component ( i have used the same RAM and CPU on two different mainboards before namely the asus prime x370 and the gigabyte ax370 gaming 5 and neither showed any signs of malfunction like this)

Should i RMA the board ? any other tips ?
8 REPLIES 8

AfterShock
Level 9
does it lose power or does it keep trying to power on over and over, if so mine does the same thing if I turn off my power supply, what I have to do is clear cmos and then load my overclock profile but increase the timings and then save and exit the bios, it reboots and then I can go back and enter the correct timings and its good as gold as long as I don't turn off the power supply again. you should have no problem getting that ram to run at 3200 like its suppose to do. its not a faulty motherboard its just a bug that hasn't been addressed yet, plenty of forum posts on here with the same issue. that little digital display will probably be reading f9 right before it shuts off.

AfterShock wrote:
does it lose power or does it keep trying to power on over and over

No it just looses power and does not turn on by itself after a failed boot try. i have to manually use the main power button to restart it again, and then it starts all over again. I have recorded the q codes using slow motion mode on my smartphone the last number during the ram light is 67. after this the cpu lamp (below the led display) light up shortly and then there is this power failure.

Are you getting any beep codes when this happens?

Try raising your RAM timings 5 each and see if the same issue continues to occur like that. Might help to narrow it down.

MeanMachine
Level 13
There is nothing wrong with your MB I3althasar. You are successfully passing Post however it is your RAM Timings or voltage that need adjustment.
Have you checked that your RAM has officially been tested and listed on the MB QVL.?. Bios revisions are being worked on as we speak to address these issues.
The QCode LED is there to identify an error during the Post Cycle and your MB manual has a list to help identify the fault. Should post halt during Post then report the readout here.

There are three buttons next to the Start button. The nearest to the Start button is the Reset button then Safe boot and Retry for when OCing.
When in Bios you can train Bios for your RAM and bus ratio by using different levels of D.O.C.P From 1-5. Try the level that suits your RAM speed.
A power failure after that is something else that would need to be looked into. Normally if post does not recognize your RAM it will shut down the system and start again and may go into a boot or Post loop.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
When in Bios you can train Bios for your RAM and bus ratio by using different levels of D.O.C.P From 1-5. Try the level that suits your RAM speed. A power failure after that is something else that would need to be looked into. Normally if post does not recognize your RAM it will shut down the system and start again and may go into a boot or Post loop.

So i have had a little time today and tried the different profiles all to the same end. I change from default to anything else (i dont even have to make any other changes in AI Tweaker) i then choose save & restart.

The PC shuts down immediately and is not restarting on its own. When i press the main Power button the initial problem occurs. Only way to get back to the bios screen -> Safe Boot button on the PCB or CMOS reset.

There has to be something wrong here ... i dont believe this can be explained by incompatible RAM.

BTW when i leave it on default in BIOS everything works just fine at least from what i can tell.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that even the settings "manual" and "auto" lead to the same end

I3althasar wrote:
i then choose save & restart.

The PC shuts down immediately and is not restarting on its own. When i press the main Power button the initial problem occurs.

Can I ask a silly question?
How much time are we talking between selecting "save & restart" and having to manually press the power button?
Is the Q-code LED display going through various codes during this time?
What are the LEDs immediately below the Q-code display doing?
And are you getting any beep codes at that time?

And I still recommend increasing your DRAM timings by 5 and testing to see if the behavior improves like that. That's a 4 stick RAM kit right?
What you're describing with the QLEDs, and the post loop in your first post is exactly what my machine does when my RAM timings are too tight. It still occurs occasionally with my current fully, successfully tested timings.

Often when I restart from in windows, I'll get a post attempt with an almost immediate 3 beep code restart, and usually a successful post afterwards. Note that this successful post takes about 20 seconds to get to the point where I could enter the BIOS.

BaneSilvermoon wrote:
How much time are we talking between selecting "save & restart" and having to manually press the power button?

As far as i can tell i press enter on my keyboard and instantly power is shut off.

BaneSilvermoon wrote:
Is the Q-code LED display going through various codes during this time?

No codes at all after pressing "Save & Restart", because the PC shuts off completely. And pressing the power button after this the last code i can see is something like 24 i think but when the PC looses power afterwards no code at all.

BaneSilvermoon wrote:
What are the LEDs immediately below the Q-code display doing?

Again, directly after changing the settings no LED activity due to no power. Pressing the Main Power button first the RAM LED lights up ( orange i think ) and after this the CPU (green) lights up shortly until the PC turns off.

BaneSilvermoon wrote:
And are you getting any beep codes at that time?

Unfortunately i dont have a speaker for beep codes

BaneSilvermoon wrote:
And I still recommend increasing your DRAM timings by 5 and testing to see if the behavior improves like that. That's a 4 stick RAM kit right?
What you're describing with the QLEDs, and the post loop in your first post is exactly what my machine does when my RAM timings are too tight. It still occurs occasionally with my current fully, successfully tested timings.

The Kit i am using has two sticks (i checked again p/n:F4-3200C16D-16GVK i must have confused q and d in my initial post) and i have tried doing this but

I3althasar wrote:
EDIT: i forgot to mention that even the settings "manual" and "auto" lead to the same end

by this i mean if i change the AI tweaker from "default" to anything else my error occurs

I3althasar wrote:
As far as i can tell i press enter on my keyboard and instantly power is shut off.

I meant how much time between when the power shuts off and when you manually turn it back on. The power shutting off when you hit save is the expected behavior.

For my system, usually 15 - 30 seconds pass between when I select save and exit, and when I can enter the BIOS again.