cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed first start

Firstvan
Level 7
This is my first post and I hope you can help me with my problem.

About 8 years ago I successfully built 2 different computers and they have been running fine but as you know, Windows XP is not supported my many places.
With that in mind, I just finished building a new computer with the idea of installing Win 10.

The motherboard is a newly bought *ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING.*
The CPU is an Intel Core i5, 7th generation with a Noctua NH-L9x65 fan to keep it cool.
The hard drive is a SEAGATE BarraCuda 2 TB, SATA 6 unit.

**I installed 2 Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB ROM cards for a total of 16 GB of DDR 4 memory.
Also installed in a ENERMAX OSTROG case is a Antec 25, 650 watt power supply, 2 ASUS, 24X DVD players, and 3, 120mm Antec cooling fans.

The monitor is a small ASUS unit with a 19.5 inch screen. *It only has a VGA connection but I figured the Motherboard has a connection for that so what could be simpler?
**I took my time and referred to *several sets of instructions and the web for guidance and everything went together well.

Now, to my problem.

Using the guidance found on My Super PC on the web, I left the hard drive power disconnected for my first BOOT up. *(The author had not even installed his hard drive in the case when he did his first boot up.)

I connected the monitor and power cord plus an old (but good) keyboard using the PS2, 6 pin connector, plugged into the motherboards connection for that plug.

With everything ready to go I first turned on the power switch.

The Motherboard leds lit, 5 by the name, one in the lower right hand corner and a little Super whatever logo. *So far, so good.

I then poked the large "Start" key on the case. *All of the fans including the CPU cooler started running. *The DVD drives green lights lit and went out and the POWER led on the case lit.

THE PROBLEM is, the motherboard didn't make a single sound and the monitor screen stayed black. *Cycling the monitor off and on gave the ASUS logo and then said, No Connection and went black. *No sound from the motherboard.

Thinking I didn't have the Motherboards attention, I shut off the power, then after waiting 30 seconds I turned it back on. *The MB's LED's all lit.
Poking the Start button and holding the DELETE button on the keyboard the fans all started. *Still no BEEP or any sound at all from the motherboard. *The monitor stayed black.

I switched monitor to a well proven one with a VGA connector and went thru the drill again.
Again, no sound from the motherboard. *No image on the monitor.
*Thinking the Motherboard VGA connector might be bad I then disconnected all of the power and installed a Gigabite (can we say that here?) Radeon R7, 250 video card.

Connecting the monitor to that cards VGA connection and hooking up the power cord *and going thru the Start drill, no sound from the motherboard and a black monitor screen. ( The video card fan was running indicating to me that it was getting power.)

As a last hope, I disconnected the keyboard and installed the USB receiver for a new (and tested) wireless keyboard.

Again, no sound from the motherboard, a black screen on the monitor, LED's all glowing and winking slowly on the MB and all fans running fine.

Did I mention I also connected the power to the hard drive and went thru the cycle again.
The HDD indicator on the case occasionally flickered indicating the drive is running but still, no sound from the motherboard and no image on the monitor.

*That is when I decided to ask for your help.
The only thing I can think of is doing what MySupercomputer suggested and wiping the COMOS by removing the battery and then, assuming the monitor screen will show ANYTHING, reinstall the needed driver/data.

Please help.

At the moment, the only thing I can think of is the Motherboard is totally defective. 😞

Jim (Firstvan)*
8 REPLIES 8

Zka17
Level 16
Hello Firstvan, welcome to the ROG Forums!

1st obesrvation: that board was initially made for the 6th generation CPUs. To run it with a 7th gen one, you may need to flash the BIOS (the newest one is 3202) - check the support page for your board on the Asus site.

2nd observation: make sure that the RAM kit (use a kit, not individual modules!!!) is on the QVL (again, check the support page)
If you list the model number of your RAM, we can check it for you...

Zka17 wrote:
Hello Firstvan, welcome to the ROG Forums!

1st obesrvation: that board was initially made for the 6th generation CPUs. To run it with a 7th gen one, you may need to flash the BIOS (the newest one is 3202) - check the support page for your board on the Asus site.

2nd observation: make sure that the RAM kit (use a kit, not individual modules!!!) is on the QVL (again, check the support page)
If you list the model number of your RAM, we can check it for you...

Thanks for your quick response. 🙂

*The RAM was bought as a kit consisting of 2, 8 GB cards. *The cards are on the QVL list for the Z170 PRO GAMING motherboard. *So is the HDD (which as I mentioned, I tried without and with it connected.)

As you may have guessed, computers aren't my strong point but as I understood what the ASUS information saying, the new gen 7 should work but the new bells and whistles might not be available without the 3202 update.

Assuming your right, I can download the 3202 update and get it on a thumb drive or a DVD but how can I run either when I can't even get to the BIOS screen (or any screen for that matter)?*

Zka17
Level 16
Good that your RAM kit is on the QVL! You will have the highest chances for a good working system with them...

At this point your HDD is not an issue, we can discuss about it after you can get in BIOS...

Yes, the 7th gen CPUs should work on the Z170 Pro Gaming boards - you just need to update the BIOS...

Now, I need some time to figure out how to update BIOS on your particular case... you can also look around in the Forums, or maybe someone will chime in this discussion... - just be patient...

If I may mention something, in "My Super PC" on the web, in the section called "First Boot", the author says (if I may quote),

"As a computer builder- you must make changes to the BIOS parameters. *Some people are a little squeamish about this...
The BIOS parameters are stored in a type of memory called CMOS. *The name of the menu system for changing the parameters is "CMOS Setup Utility".
The reason I'm telling you this right up front before the first boot is that it's possible to change the BIOS parameters in such a way that the computer will not boot- *it will just sit there, dark and lifeless, with only the sound of the fans to keep you company. (Exactly like my computer is doing).
I suppose it's even possible that the motherboard could arrive with the BIOS parameters completely out of whack giving the same results without you having changed a thing. *Therefore, it's important to know how to "clear the CMOS" as the first thing to try should this symptom occur...."

He goes on to say clearing the CMOS involves some small jumper pins and removing the CMOS battery. *Unfortunately, *he is working with a Gigabite board so his pictures don't apply to my ASUS board and I don't know which (of the many) pins I would fool with.

*This sounds exactly like my problem but I'm concerned that wiping out the CMOS might not fix the lack of a visable screen and if I can't see the screen, I can't *install the new BIOS driver I downloaded from ASUS for the Gen 7 CPU *and worse, it might make the Warranty void.*
So, do you and the others think I should wipe out the CMOS memory as he suggests?*

Zka17
Level 16
Yes, you certainly can go ahead and clear CMOS...

chilinmichael
Level 10
Another observation: Some monitors have auto contrast which, stupidly, like the Viewsonic I had, will turn the screen off if there's only a slight bit of text on it. Check your settings, the PC may be simply displaying a small line of text saying "no boot device" and the monitor is simply going to black with auto contrast.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

Thank you for the suggestions.

The monitor works fine with two other computers and even when the screen goes black while the computer dozes off, it comes back to full brilliance as soon as the computers start sending out a signal.

To update this topic, so far I have cleared the CMOS over a dozen times by removing the battery and jumping the two pins at the *"CLRTC" or "Clear RTC RAM" location, as the book calls it. *

Each time I cleared it I tried something different like swapping keyboards, removing and reinstalling RAM cards, trying it with only 1 RAM card, swapping out monitors, etc.

The only difference I noted during starts was with the CMOS cleared the LED's would glow at full strength but the all cooling fans, including the ones that are plugged directly into the power unit, slowed down after about 2 seconds, idled for a few seconds and then came back up to full speed.

Other than that, still no BEEP and still no picture on the monitor.

After reading a post elsewhere where a guy was having exactly the same problem I am having, it was suggested that he remove the motherboard and try it with it sitting on a clean, non-conducting surface. *
It was mentioned that the RAM is sometimes difficult to install because the motherboard flexes when it is in the case. *With a solid surface to back it up, more force can be used to install the RAM.
The guy tried it and it worked for him.
*With this thought I gave it a try but the final results was the same. *No BEEP and no picture.

I guess I should have mentioned, this motherboard was an "opened box" that was inspected by the seller before putting it back on the shelf for sale at a reduced price.

I', beginning to think that some dork bought it, took it home and fried something in it and then returned it to the store with some story like,
"This motherboard doesn't have all of the bells and whistles I wanted so I'm returning it to exchange for that one over there."
I was told the store only examines it to see if it has any bent pins. *If it doesn't, they just resell it. :(*

A bit of follow up.

First, thank you for the helpful comments.

I decided the motherboard was probably toasted by someone so I bought a replacement.

Figuring I had more than my fair share of fun with the Asus, I replaced it with a brand X that starts with a G that was made for use with the gen 7 Intel processor. *It's made with a Z270 chip.
*Because the RAM I had bought for the Asus was not listed on the new boards approved list I had to buy some different cards from Corsair.

*The computer*went together like clockwork with my other existing parts and it booted on the first attempt.

It's running great and now my wife has her new computer. :)*