cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus computer not restarting on its own

Retired
Not applicable
please help me. my Asus desk top computer 64 bit windows 7 ultimate if i have to install updates that require me to restart my computer. it will not restart automatically by itself. and i have to keep holding the pwr switch a few seconds. and then turn it back on again manually. is there a bios upgrade that i can install in order to fix this. please let me know today. thank u good day!
8 REPLIES 8

xeromist
You are saying that you have to hold down the power button. Does that mean that the shutdown option on the start menu does not work at all? If you try to use it do you get any error message? Do any of the icons in the lower right systray close or does nothing seem to happen?

You may or may not need a BIOS upgrade as this could be an issue with Windows. You can always install a BIOS update to the latest if you want but as always the manufacturer disclaimer is that it is better not to update unless it is actually causing a problem.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
yes the shutdown on start up menu works fine. it's just the restart mode that the computer will shutdown but not power back up automatically

Retired
Not applicable
which model do you have?

Retired
Not applicable
GC series

xeromist
I'm sure Brian can figure this out better than I can but just to confirm for myself, if you go to start>shutdown>restart it just shuts down normally and doesn't restart?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

martin_metal_88
Level 8
I know thaton my gigabytes board there is an option in the bios to shutdown on reboot. Maybe look if this option is in your bios to?
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
i would probably call technical support on this one. could be a weird image or could be a bios issue that wont allow to restart.

I have a similar problem with my ROG g73jh. It will not restart, sort of. When I hit restart or a program asks to restart, it will shut down, then the screen stays black and I can see the hard drive light working.

I have to hold the power button down to shut it down. If I hit the power button immediately after, it will not start up. If I wait about 5 minutes before hitting the power button, then it will start up.

The shut down option on the start menu works. Restart does not, I just get a black screen and the hard drive light.
I have the original bios, never updated. I just put in a new hard drive, and reinstalled windows 7 professional.