cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issue with system hang

andyliu
Level 9
Hello, I have recently build a new system with C6H and 1700X.
I have noticed a random system hang here and there.
I tried to do my best to search, but I am terrible at it.
All I could find is something about FMA-3 code (not sure that's the cause)
, and it's supposed to be fixed with new bios.
I am currently on latest official BIOS 1002 but still experiencing it.

Maybe I got a bad board or cpu? Thanks in advance for any kindly assistance

Sincerely
Andy
13 REPLIES 13

Sitorious
Level 7
When you get these hangs do you see your HDD led turn solid for the duration of the hang?

Sitorious wrote:
When you get these hangs do you see your HDD led turn solid for the duration of the hang?

I actually did not pay attention to it before. After I saw this message, I notice the HDD led (on motherbaord)is indeed solid during the hang. And it will start blinking once the system frees up. It's random and repeatable process, and happen at least once per boot; though I haven't had it occurred more than once per boot.

ottoyu34 wrote:
Welcome to the forums guys, Andy could you please post up your full specs of the PC as well.

i have update my profile to include the system spec, and I have to say it's rather difficult to edit.
Sometimes it will have textbox, sometimes it just say N/A and I was not able to input anything :(.
BUT i finally made it. Please let me know if I need to include more information :).

And thanks for the replies and assistance 🙂

Same issue here. System hangs without load or warning. Just random. Nothing shorts out. During hang, the HDD led continuously lit up without blink.
1. AI Suite bug; the power profiles in the program randomly does not match that of Windows power profile. If that happens, then windows crashes due to conflict.
2. As soon as I log into windows, I quickly check windows power profile and if it does not match with AI suite settings then I correct it and this prevents crashes.
3. Random crashes can occur randomly or if you trigger it by changing the power profile in AI suite (if it already does not match with that of windows').
4. In cases of mismatch, sometimes Usb ports stop working, and hear the familiar sound of Usb plugging and unplugging continuously and randomly and system after some time crashes.
As a note bios and windows boot times are exceptionally long for such a high end system. Usb 3.1 ports are not working due to bios issues I think and I do not want to mention on the RAM compatibility issues.

Regards.

P.S. yes I could not fill out my specs in the profile section, as everything was N/A and nothing to fill...

sphinx64 wrote:
Same issue here. System hangs without load or warning. Just random. Nothing shorts out. During hang, the HDD led continuously lit up without blink.
1. AI Suite bug; the power profiles in the program randomly does not match that of Windows power profile. If that happens, then windows crashes due to conflict.
2. As soon as I log into windows, I quickly check windows power profile and if it does not match with AI suite settings then I correct it and this prevents crashes.
3. Random crashes can occur randomly or if you trigger it by changing the power profile in AI suite (if it already does not match with that of windows').
4. In cases of mismatch, sometimes Usb ports stop working, and hear the familiar sound of Usb plugging and unplugging continuously and randomly and system after some time crashes.
As a note bios and windows boot times are exceptionally long for such a high end system. Usb 3.1 ports are not working due to bios issues I think and I do not want to mention on the RAM compatibility issues.

I dont use AI suite, and I use the ryzen balance profile provided by AMD.
the system only hangs for 10-15 sec, doesn't crash
I dont know about the USB 3.1, but I did experience some weird issue before I install the asmedia usb driver.
hope it helps you.

oh and to edit profile, click on the pen icon on the left when you view your profile.
the pen icon is right after the list/time stamps of activities and next to # of friends

Andy,

It took me a while to post again because i been doing a whole lot of troubleshooting.I had the exact same issue during the hang my HDD light will go solid for the duration and get back to normal. Just a little insight to my build i have a PNY optoma 240gb SSD with windows 10 on it. I checked my event viewer and found these two warnings under system logs which point to my SSD. I waiting awhile to post while i test just in case this solution didnt work. I hope this helps you and anyone that is frustrated with the issue.

"Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued." Source Storahci

"The IO operation at logical block address 0x6e0038 for Disk 3 (PDO name: \Device\0000003c) was retried." Source DISK. DIsk 3 is my ssd.

This solution below seemed to help out tremendously i have not had any hang anymore i also update my chipset drivers from amd site.

Posted by Stratosgr on 30 Jun 2016 2:58 Verified Answer
Verified by Phil 5
I had exact the same problem on quite a lot of my dell systems. Here is how i solved the issue:

First of all we need to change "AHCI Link Power Management" which is a hidden setting on power management. Open up registry editor and change the following settings.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60

Change attributes from 1 to 2

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\dab60367-53fe-4fbc-825e-521d069d2456

And again change Attributes from 1 to 2.

Now go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power Options click on "Change Plan Settings" and then click on "Change advanced Power settings".

Now under "Hard disk" you should have AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM and AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive options.

Change "AHCI Link power management" To active, which means there is no power management for AHCI and finally change Adaptive to 0 milliseconds (Although if you enabled "active" this option has no effect).

Finally under "PCI Express" Change "Link State Power management" to OFF.

I hope this will help you.

Good luck!

That's exactly what happened to my system as well.
I tried that solution but it didn't really work for me.
System hangs still occurred here and there, and still recorded in the Event viewer

Here is what I am currently testing, manually update the "Standard SATA AHCI controller" to the "AMD SATA controller"

It's under "Device Manager" - "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"

While AMD/ASUS did include those with their chipset driver, they are never really applied or updated when you install the driver.

you can find those driver under "Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\AHCI\WB64A" when you unzip the chipset driver.

I assumed w7 means w7, and wB, for win 8?, no win 10 driver unfortunately 😞 and I couldn't find it for the latest official AMD chipset driver either.

I do not know what the executable does, I manually update the driver from device manager.

It seems to been working fine after I updated the driver but only time will tell.

in the past couple days, I had been dealing with the issue, still happening to me.
I replaced the motherboard, didn't fix the problem
I moved the ssd in question on other (intel), no issue at all. (and i am posting a reply on that computer right now)
I end up purchased a samsung evo 850 ssd to solve the issue, either it's controller or driver conflict to me at this point.

While it seems to be working fine, the utility of samsung evo is actually complaining about the AMD/asmedia usb conflict.
maybe that's what happened? well hopefully ASUS/AMD will be able to provide better drivers and BIOS in near future

andyliu wrote:
in the past couple days, I had been dealing with the issue, still happening to me.
I replaced the motherboard, didn't fix the problem
I moved the ssd in question on other (intel), no issue at all. (and i am posting a reply on that computer right now)
I end up purchased a samsung evo 850 ssd to solve the issue, either it's controller or driver conflict to me at this point.

While it seems to be working fine, the utility of samsung evo is actually complaining about the AMD/asmedia usb conflict.
maybe that's what happened? well hopefully ASUS/AMD will be able to provide better drivers and BIOS in near future

Hi Andy. I'm having the same issue, and none of the fixes have worked for me. Has replacing the SSD continued to solve the problem for you?

Thx!

Fshantos wrote:
Hi Andy. I'm having the same issue, and none of the fixes have worked for me. Has replacing the SSD continued to solve the problem for you?

Thx!

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes, I haven't experiencing any system ever since I replaced the ssd.
And no further error produced in the event viewer.
However, the ssd in question do pass all the test that I could perform, and it's working properly on my other computer.
So I think it's only controller/driver conflict.

ps: With the evo 850 ssd I replaced, i do get error message from the samsung Magician utility.
VID 1022 and indicate there is system internal error on some of the AMD/Asmedia Controller or driver and might cause the rapid mode to fail.
as far as normal ssd operation, it works properly.