cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stability change after reseating cooler ?

Theagg
Level 7
I did some maintenance today, basically removing my Swiftech H220X to top up the resevoir.

After putting it all back, with no other changes at all, my previously stable setup was now surprisingly running unstable..

Same bios setting etc, no change from before removal to refitting, Temps remained more or less identical before and after.

Yet the system was now unstable on exactly the same settings?!

Suggestions as to why that might be ? Can a variance between the screwed down pressure of the water block on the CPU before and after cause this, because that's about the only thing I can think of that would not be identical before and after..very odd ?
3 REPLIES 3

Darth_Ender
Level 9
Are you using a backing plate that's metal?

there has been hints that the stock metal backing plate is a culprit in allowing some amount of shorting.

Darth Ender wrote:
Are you using a backing plate that's metal?

there has been hints that the stock metal backing plate is a culprit in allowing some amount of shorting.

Hmm, I think if the back plate was shorting out tracks or components the result would be a bit more drastic ! Its an AM3 plate anyway, which I had to pack out with some cardboard 'gaskets' to compensate for the difference in length between AM3 and AM4 stand offs on the plate. Same plate, same packing before and after.

Theagg wrote:
Hmm, I think if the back plate was shorting out tracks or components the result would be a bit more drastic ! Its an AM3 plate anyway, which I had to pack out with some cardboard 'gaskets' to compensate for the difference in length between AM3 and AM4 stand offs on the plate. Same plate, same packing before and after.

I don't know your exact setup re: MB and cooler Theagg however with my build, my cooler did not come with the correct backplate either. I originally tried a plastic backplate for AM3 which did not do the job properly and had insufficient pressure between the CPU and HSF.
I then found an AM3 metal backplate from one of my old builds and that worked fine (Standoffs to correct length also) and fitted the MB slots (without any cardboard packing)
I don't recommend using cardboard gaskets and would suggest you obtain the correct backplate and standoffs. I think that's your problem atm.

Mine is exactly the same as this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motherboard-CPU-Block-Back-Plate-For-AMD-AM2-AM3-LGA940-M3-Threaded-Chrome-M...
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]