cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 JT working with external Display only

harrypott3r
Level 7
Hello,

I have an issue with my Asus G751JT. It seems that after installing windows 8.1 clean install, after configuring my windows profile and installing any random driver, after the rebooting for installing driver, I can see the POST image with ROG logo, the Windows circle spinning on booting and the Windows logo but after the Laptop screen goes black and it will work only using external monitors. I must say that i can install the Windows and have image on the laptop screen but after I install the first driver, it won't recognize anymore the notebook screen. I have already tried with different versions of Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and they are all having the same story. Any advise is much appreciated!!!
11 REPLIES 11

xeromist
So it works before installing the graphics driver? Have you checked the Device Manager to see if there are any devices with warnings or errors?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

harrypott3r
Level 7
It is working fine before installing any drivers...installing a random driver will just stop working the notebook monitor. No errors for devices in device manager after windows install

xeromist
Is the internal display actually listed in the device manager? Can you look at the device properties?

Also, you may want to double check the device driver configuration. It may be failing to auto-detect the display but you might be able to create a custom mode and force it manually. That's not an ideal permanent fix but it might help narrow down the problem.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

harrypott3r
Level 7
How can i check if it is listed and how to create a custom mode ?

xeromist
Go to the Device Manager and look for a section labeled Monitors. It should be listed there I think. This could be different for integrated panels but try that first.

Assuming you have the Nvidia driver installed go to Youtube and search for "nvidia custom resolution". There are multiple videos that show how to do this.

harrypott3r
Level 7
So I do have the monitor available in device manager but right after installing Nvidia Drivers the monitor won't be available any more and in device manager will appear after only the external monitor and not the internal . Everything is working fine until starting to install the very first driver , any driver actually. Is there any way to fix this? I also tried to Reflow the video chipset but this hasn't fixed. Temperatures aren't an issue. I do not have any warranty and sending it to authorized Asus service will cost memaybe the motherboard itself

xeromist
When you say any driver, do you mean installing a sound driver causes the screen to blank out? Or are you saying any graphics driver as in you have tried several versions of graphics drivers? Either way it sounds like a rather unusual problem.

harrypott3r
Level 7
Sorry, so first time I installed chipset driver from Asus support and after seeing the issue I clean installed OS again and installed orher Nvidia Drivers. I ended up in installing coean OS for about 10 times testing with different nvidia drivers but the issue still persists. The laptop monitor appears as PNP monitor in Device manager without any errors and the external monitor appears as non PNP monitor

xeromist
There is this thread where someone had a problem with the display's EDID. But your issue doesn't sound exactly like his. Plus messing with EDIDs can actually make things worse so you'd need to be *extremely* careful and not just try random things.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92684-G750JX-Bad-EDID-solved

Other than that it sounds like there may be a hardware issue with the display. I've seen devices show up as default in the device manager until drivers are installed and it's usually because the device is working well enough in a basic compatibility mode but once extended features are enabled by drivers it craps out.