cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus StriX Radeon RX 480 8GB OC freezes and RMA

mapijet
Level 7
Hello guys,

I just recently upgraded my GPU from StriX R9 380X 4GB OC to Asus StriX RX 480 8GB OC as it was a good deal, and I'm experiencing an issue that I see pops up on multiple forums now that I've done some research (wish I've done it before). When the card is under load in any triple A title, it takes about 5 minutes for it to completely freeze on a blank screen (black/gray or dominant color of the last frame displayed).

My specs right now are:

-Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0/GEN 3
-AMD FX8350
-4x4GB HyperX Fury 1866 DDR3
-EVGA 600W Bronze PSU

The system had no problem running the R9 for over half a year and I'm completely clueless, tried every solution proposed on multiple forums, and none works (setting the last 4 clock states manually to 1290, switching drivers around, upping the power draw by +50%) it still consistently crashes in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, or Witcher 3 for example, while staying at about 75 degrees. Card is fine when tested in FurMark, no crashes there. I already decided to RMA it, but the question is, does ASUS actually replace the cards, is the issue acknowledged, because if not then maybe there's no point in RMA, and I'm better off just returning the card?

😕
3 REPLIES 3

alihakki
Level 7
i have same problem. i will send to RMA.
The fans are accelerating first and then slowing down but the temperature is going up.
my strix-rx480-o8g auto fan mode: max speed ~1450rpm @ 68C 5-10 munit after 1200rpm @ 75C and crash. on windows 10.
and i use linux its better than windows.
2100rpm @ 68C and after speed down ~1400-1500 rpm and no crash for 13 hours but crash again 13h:05m lol 😄 (kubuntu 17.04)
i cant use manuel fan profile, If this problem is not in everyone. my card have problem i cant trust it.

FuryA
Level 8
mapijet wrote:
Hello guys,

I just recently upgraded my GPU from StriX R9 380X 4GB OC to Asus StriX RX 480 8GB OC as it was a good deal, and I'm experiencing an issue that I see pops up on multiple forums now that I've done some research (wish I've done it before). When the card is under load in any triple A title, it takes about 5 minutes for it to completely freeze on a blank screen (black/gray or dominant color of the last frame displayed).

My specs right now are:

-Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0/GEN 3
-AMD FX8350
-4x4GB HyperX Fury 1866 DDR3
-EVGA 600W Bronze PSU

The system had no problem running the R9 for over half a year and I'm completely clueless, tried every solution proposed on multiple forums, and none works (setting the last 4 clock states manually to 1290, switching drivers around, upping the power draw by +50%) it still consistently crashes in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, or Witcher 3 for example, while staying at about 75 degrees. Card is fine when tested in FurMark, no crashes there. I already decided to RMA it, but the question is, does ASUS actually replace the cards, is the issue acknowledged, because if not then maybe there's no point in RMA, and I'm better off just returning the card?

😕

hi mapi

Diy You ger an RAM service to deal with

I had a similar problem with my Asus RX480 Strix. About 5 minutes into playing Wildlands it would freeze with a green screen.

Reinstalling windows and swapping power supplies had no effect. Temperatures were fine. The thing that fixed it was to underclock the RX480. I didn't buy this card to underclock it. ASUS accepted my RMA. Replacement finally arrived (took 3 weeks) and I'll be trying it out this weekend.