cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Z270G UEFI BIOS reverts to 8x clock ratio with memory set above 2933Mhz

Magnus_McMullet
Level 7
Hi!

I've recently built my new gaming rig using the Strix Z270G Motherboard with a Core i5 7600K and 16GB (2x8) of G.Skill TridentZ RGB memory (3200MHz 14-14-14-34 1.35V). When I load the XMP Profile for the memory or I set the DRAM clock frequency manually at anything above 2933 the BIOS will auto set my clock ratio to 8x fixed, resulting in a clock speed of only 800Mhz per core. The clock frequency will not go up from that under load. Is this the way the BIOS is telling me that my rig can't handle this memory speed or is this a bug in the BIOS? My BIOS is version 0906. I'm currently running the memory @2933Mhz, with latency and voltage set according to G.Skill's specs. So far it seems to be quite stable.
15 REPLIES 15

mikkojeejee
Level 7
Magnus McMullet wrote:
Hi!

I've recently built my new gaming rig using the Strix Z270G Motherboard with a Core i5 7600K and 16GB (2x8) of G.Skill TridentZ RGB memory (3200MHz 14-14-14-34 1.35V). When I load the XMP Profile for the memory or I set the DRAM clock frequency manually at anything above 2933 the BIOS will auto set my clock ratio to 8x fixed, resulting in a clock speed of only 800Mhz per core. The clock frequency will not go up from that under load. Is this the way the BIOS is telling me that my rig can't handle this memory speed or is this a bug in the BIOS? My BIOS is version 0906. I'm currently running the memory @2933Mhz, with latency and voltage set according to G.Skill's specs. So far it seems to be quite stable.

Flash older bios 0801 and you're probably fine. 0906 is causing instability for many users with high memory speeds.. Asus has not yet fixed this. :rolleyes:

In my findings VCCIO voltage is too high on 0906 bios: 1,280v vs 1,136v in 0801. (3200mhz Gskill Ripjaws and Z270G)
If you want, you can try to set VCCIO voltage manually in 0906 bios to 1.15v; read in bios ~1.136v.

Chino wrote:
Try setting up your RAM manually.

I already did. Anything above 2933Mhz auto sets my clock ratio to 8x, manual or XMP settings, same result.

I'll try downgrading the bios version.

EDIT: Well, no luck. I can't downgrade to either 0701 or 0801. Says "selected file is not a proper bios file". I have used renamer though (Z270SE.cap).

Magnus McMullet wrote:
I already did. Anything above 2933Mhz auto sets my clock ratio to 8x, manual or XMP settings, same result.

I'll try downgrading the bios version.

EDIT: Well, no luck. I can't downgrade to either 0701 or 0801. Says "selected file is not a proper bios file". I have used renamer though (Z270SE.cap).

Well, it is well documented that 0906 BIOS is faulty at this time. I had loads of problems when I tried it on my own Z270G and rolled back the clock to ver 0801 with absolutely no problems. Sound like you have not fully formatted the USB stick and do not have the correct CAP file written to it. Suggest you try again using FAT 32 as file structure and default allocation size. Run a full format on your USB stick, not just a quick format.

I.G.SYME@BTINTERNET.COM wrote:
Well, it is well documented that 0906 BIOS is faulty at this time. I had loads of problems when I tried it on my own Z270G and rolled back the clock to ver 0801 with absolutely no problems. Sound like you have not fully formatted the USB stick and do not have the correct CAP file written to it. Suggest you try again using FAT 32 as file structure and default allocation size. Run a full format on your USB stick, not just a quick format.

Hey. Thanks. It's not just using the bios flash utility. It won't work with the EZ flash utility from the desktop either ("The model of the BIOS image isn't suitable for the currently installed BIOS ROM."). Needless to say I've downloaded the cap files from the original source at asus and renamed them using the tool. As a matter of fact I've downloaded the cap files numerous times using two different computers, just to be sure. It's not the files, not the USB stick. I've used the same stick to upgrade to 0906 actually. The flash utilities prohibit downgrading as it seems. Don't know how you did it, but I simply can not go back to an earlier version.

Magnus McMullet wrote:
Hey. Thanks. It's not just using the bios flash utility. It won't work with the EZ flash utility from the desktop either ("The model of the BIOS image isn't suitable for the currently installed BIOS ROM."). Needless to say I've downloaded the cap files from the original source at asus and renamed them using the tool. As a matter of fact I've downloaded the cap files numerous times using two different computers, just to be sure. It's not the files, not the USB stick. I've used the same stick to upgrade to 0906 actually. The flash utilities prohibit downgrading as it seems. Don't know how you did it, but I simply can not go back to an earlier version.

You should be upgrading the BIOS files through the BIOS section itself. Don't quite understand just why you are using a "desktop" app. Update from the tool section in the BIOS screens. It is very self explanatory. Don't use any kind of EZ flash utility on your desktop and forget trying to connect to the internet whilst in the BIOS as it simply does not work. If you manage to update you will have to do a FULL reset of your BIOS which involves taking out the CMOS battery for 5 mins or so. You will of course have to switch off all power to the motherboard as well whilst performing this. Do not rely solely on simply shorting out the reset pins.

I.G.SYME@BTINTERNET.COM wrote:
You should be upgrading the BIOS files through the BIOS section itself. Don't quite understand just why you are using a "desktop" app. Update from the tool section in the BIOS screens. It is very self explanatory. Don't use any kind of EZ flash utility on your desktop and forget trying to connect to the internet whilst in the BIOS as it simply does not work. If you manage to update you will have to do a FULL reset of your BIOS which involves taking out the CMOS battery for 5 mins or so. You will of course have to switch off all power to the motherboard as well whilst performing this. Do not rely solely on simply shorting out the reset pins.

I have tried it both ways, I thought I've made that pretty clear. I have tried method using the UEFI menu first. What's so hard to understand? It didn't work one way, so I'll try the other. That's just common sense. Why condemn me for trying? If that "simply does not work" why does Asus put the funtionality there in the first place I ask. That doesn't even have anything to do relating to my problem, I was just saying that I tried it both ways. I honestly wonder what makes people give unhelpful responses like that, wasting everyone's time just to show what cracking smartpants they are. Next time just refrain from replying at all when you have nothing useful to contribute. What a CMOS reset would do for me, I have no clue. All it'll do is revert my settings to optimized defaults, not downgrade my uefi bios to the version it shipped with.

Magnus McMullet wrote:
I have tried it both ways, I thought I've made that pretty clear. I have tried method using the UEFI menu first. What's so hard to understand? It didn't work one way, so I'll try the other. That's just common sense. Why condemn me for trying? If that "simply does not work" why does Asus put the funtionality there in the first place I ask. That doesn't even have anything to do relating to my problem, I was just saying that I tried it both ways. I honestly wonder what makes people give unhelpful responses like that, wasting everyone's time just to show what cracking smartpants they are. Next time just refrain from replying at all when you have nothing useful to contribute. What a CMOS reset would do for me, I have no clue. All it'll do is revert my settings to optimized defaults, not downgrade my uefi bios to the version it shipped with.

Sorry I even tried to help.... yes, maybe I should have read your posts more closely and then I perhaps I would have gleaned the information that you had already tried using the UEFI menu. It was a little unclear that you had tried this method first. A full BIOS reset after an update is always a good idea in my opinion.
I am at a loss to explain why your CAP file is not recognised.

I'll tell you why it's not working, it's becuase Asus did the stupid thing in preventing bios downgrades on anything but mobos with bios flash back, so yeah you are stuck with a sucky bios until they release an updated one, or buy another bios chip. Thanks Asus so customer friendly.