cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus v gene rx 580 compatibility?

alldino
Level 7
Hey, I'm thinking of upgrading my asus hd7970 directcu 2 with a rx 580 (im also wondering if i should since the hd7970 is performing pretty good, i did get a 144 hz monitor recently though)

so basically my questions are

1. will the maximus v gene support the rx 580, i have read somewhere on the intrawebs that ppl are getting no post and **** with the rx 480 :S

2. should i even upgrade? Is it a clear yes or will the hd 7970 do good for another year or two? (I'm looking for something new to spend some cash at, have been hardcore studying and not enjoying myself at all for the past two years so i feel I deserve something new 😛

Thanks guys!

Edit:
Some specs of my pc incase there are any other tips? (which are much appreciated)

I5-2500k
16 gb ram
Hd 7970 directcu 2
1200w psu
16 REPLIES 16

Nate152
Hi alldino

The 7970 is on par with the GTX 680, the RX 580 is on par with the GTX 1060.

If you could swing for a gtx 1070 you'd have them all beat, it would be good to update to the latest bios to ensure compatibility. Performance will be limited by your older mobo, ram and cpu.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi alldino

The 7970 is on par with the GTX 680, the RX 580 is on par with the GTX 1060.

If you could swing for a gtx 1070 you'd have them all beat, it would be good to update to the latest bios to ensure compatibility. Performance will be limited by your older mobo, ram and cpu.

Thanks for the reply guys!

I would love to get the 1070 but the pricepoint is a liiitle bit much :S

Might just go for it and get the 1070, but have to make sure my case can fit it first lmao

Nate152
All right

Let's try to keep our posts a little more professional, if you want to edit your post I won't mind.

What case do you have ?

Nate152 wrote:
All right

Let's try to keep our posts a little more professional, if you want to edit your post I won't mind.

What case do you have ?

I got the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Nate152
Thank you

It will be close, if it doesn't fit you have the option to remove the top HDD cage for a sure fit.

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you

It will be close, if it doesn't fit you have the option to remove the top HDD cage for a sure fit.

Found a dude who's selling a 1070 asus oc version for 320 euro (around 340 dollar)

already messaged him, definitely going with a 1070 if i can get it at that price lol

Nate152
You won't regret it, you'll notice a big performance boost.

What monitor do you have by the way ?

Nate152 wrote:
You won't regret it, you'll notice a big performance boost.

What monitor do you have by the way ?

I have an asus mg248

might not be the most premium stuff but it works amazingly for me at least!