cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IOMAP64.sys / fault in non paged area

Viper460
Level 7
Hi guys,

Obviously I'm new on here so sorry if I'm posting something which everyone knows.

I built a new system on Tuesday 18th and part of the build is a ROG Maximus IX Formula board. Everything has been running well all week until this evening when I got a blue screen saying Fault in non paged area and the computer would just restart.

This would happen over and over again and I could go no where. I was very confused as I had not installed anything new today so couldn't fathom out why this was happening. Looked on the net and could find loads of people with same issue but nothing they suggested worked. I reinstalled everything and as soon as I installed ASUS drivers for board it did the same again.

The second time I decided not to use the CD drivers disk that came with the board but instead visit the rog.asus.com website and download all the drivers from there presuming they would be more recent drivers. To my great relief everything seams now to be ok (touching wood) and have shut down - restarted 5-6 times with no blue screen.

So I suppose I decided to put this on here as for someone like me who is not a computer Guru and might not be thinking of the obvious things first it may save someone a lot of researching and messing about.

cheers
10 REPLIES 10

JustinThyme
Level 13
This is AI Suite at work.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
This is AI Suite at work.

Well you know more, but for me I would have been disappointed if I was unable to run the AI suite as for me it was one of the reasons for buying the hardware I did as it gives me a good insight into temps etc.

JustinThyme
Level 13
There are far better options for everything that AI suite proclaims to do. Temps Vcore all that can be monitored via HW Info or AIDA64 or any of a thousand other apps that can poll info from the SMbus.
OC from the 5 way optimiaztion 100% of the time results in a lame OC with too high of a Vcore applied and some of the time will result in a BIOS brick (got me twice on the brick!)
OC from the panel control also results in issues and possible bios brick. (bricked a M9E without any chance of recovery by simply applying default settings after a round of benching)
I gave it a fair shot and if it wasn't full of really harsh bugs I I would use it, but it is full of bugs. Google the file name you posted, thousands of hits that all lead back to the same place.

The only ASUS specific software that partially works is GPU Tweak and I actually get better results with MSI afterburner.

AI Suite is a great concept with a poor execution.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
There are far better options for everything that AI suite proclaims to do. Temps Vcore all that can be monitored via HW Info or AIDA64 or any of a thousand other apps that can poll info from the SMbus.
OC from the 5 way optimiaztion 100% of the time results in a lame OC with too high of a Vcore applied and some of the time will result in a BIOS brick (got me twice on the brick!)
OC from the panel control also results in issues and possible bios brick. (bricked a M9E without any chance of recovery by simply applying default settings after a round of benching)
I gave it a fair shot and if it wasn't full of really harsh bugs I I would use it, but it is full of bugs. Google the file name you posted, thousands of hits that all lead back to the same place.

The only ASUS specific software that partially works is GPU Tweak and I actually get better results with MSI afterburner.

AI Suite is a great concept with a poor execution.

Oh right didn't realise there were so many choices. I'm new to Overclocking etc. what does the term brick mean?

Nate152
Hi Viper460

Bricking means the device you bricked is no longer usable and is good as dead, bricking can come from misconfiguration, corrupted firmware, corrupted software or even a lightening strike.

I do my overclocking within the bios and it's easy to do, monitoring cpu temperature is important when overclocking. You have a decent cpu cooler and if you got a good cpu from Intel you may be able to hit 5.0GHz.

I use HWInfo for temp and voltage monitoring and it monitors pretty much everything else too, my 7700k needs 1.31v for 5.0GHz and I'd consider mine a good cpu.

To overclock your cpu all you need to change is the cpu core ratio and cpu core/cache voltage which I have circled in red.

Click the picture to make it bigger.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yep, brick means it works as well at computing as a brick does LOL......well actually not funny at all. Like I said I gave it a whirl hoping it was the holy grail its marketed as, its not.

I use AIDA 64 running in the back ground that aquaero uses its poll points to display on my customized desktop display. If its there these programs can grab the info, actually more than AI suite displays. I use HW info sometimes for ht min max functions for a quick comparison but my aquaero app does a 15 min graph and I have it plotting the important stuff.

This controls fans and pumps with a curve as well. Like Nate said its best to do all your OC settings from the BIOS. There are several guides on the forum.
I have the same MOBO and CPU and maxed out at 5.2 Ghz but have several saved profiles in the BIOS. I generally stick with 4.8 and if doing something intensive its just a few extra seconds on boot to load the 5.0 or 5.2 profile.

Viper460
Level 7
Cheers both for the info. I will maybe look at overclocking in the future but at the moment don't really see the point as my computer handles the highest settings on games, and knowing my luck I'd turn my whole computer in to a huge brick [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took some days off to troubleshoot this BSOD of IOMAP64.sys

**This conflict can give you any or all of the below BSODs:
-IOMAP64.SYS
-SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE
-MEMORY_MANAGMENT
-PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

It does not have to with:
-Corsair Link (tested very well)
-Your display driver (nvidia especially, tested on old and updated drivers version 388)
-Any windows update (tested on Windows 10 Version 1607 with and without updates-clean)

Solution:
-Uninstall "Aura version 1.04.29" and restart.
This would solve the problem insha Allah because this utility is the root of the problem.
If not, which is not expected to happen at all, install a clean copy of windows and do not install Aura at all.

Some people say it's because of Asus AI suite 3. Yes the file 'IOMAP64.sys" is part of the AI Suite 3, but I had no desire to drop that utility out of my Asus machine!
So, I came to a solid conclusion that "Asus Aura" interferes somehow with that IOMAP64.sys and that causes this conflict which results in our IOMAP64 nightmare BSOD.
Aura is a utility that comes with ASUS Motherboard CD to change the RGB LEDs of your motherboard.
Having known the reason, I prefer to drop this utility off in expense of having a stable PC with AI suite running perfectly.

**note you can install Aura, set the lightening you want and then uninstall it before installing AI Suite 3.
You don't need to worry about your lightening preferences being cleared from your motherboard. It won't.
**you don't need to uninstall any display driver or to boot from UEFI instead of BIOS.

Be safe
Be stable

Enjoy the AI Suite xD

-Mohammad

Oreaba wrote:
I took some days off to troubleshoot this BSOD of IOMAP64.sys

**This conflict can give you any or all of the below BSODs:
-IOMAP64.SYS
-SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE
-MEMORY_MANAGMENT
-PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

It does not have to with:
-Corsair Link (tested very well)
-Your display driver (nvidia especially, tested on old and updated drivers version 388)
-Any windows update (tested on Windows 10 Version 1607 with and without updates-clean)

Solution:
-Uninstall "Aura version 1.04.29" and restart.
This would solve the problem insha Allah because this utility is the root of the problem.
If not, which is not expected to happen at all, install a clean copy of windows and do not install Aura at all.

Some people say it's because of Asus AI suite 3. Yes the file 'IOMAP64.sys" is part of the AI Suite 3, but I had no desire to drop that utility out of my Asus machine!
So, I came to a solid conclusion that "Asus Aura" interferes somehow with that IOMAP64.sys and that causes this conflict which results in our IOMAP64 nightmare BSOD.
Aura is a utility that comes with ASUS Motherboard CD to change the RGB LEDs of your motherboard.
Having known the reason, I prefer to drop this utility off in expense of having a stable PC with AI suite running perfectly.

**note you can install Aura, set the lightening you want and then uninstall it before installing AI Suite 3.
You don't need to worry about your lightening preferences being cleared from your motherboard. It won't.
**you don't need to uninstall any display driver or to boot from UEFI instead of BIOS.

Be safe
Be stable

Enjoy the AI Suite xD

-Mohammad

I've been struggling with these particular bluescreen issues for years now, I've never used AISuite but both Aura and GpuTweak have been causing me grief for some time. A few weeks ago I read somewhere that disabling fast startup in windows can alleviate some driver conflicts when the system boots. Fast startup saves a large portion of the running memory of the Windows kernel and resumes it on next boot in order to shave off some time on startup. It's not the same as fast boot under the BIOS settings, and it is known to cause some errors and driver conflicts. I disabled it, and have had no bluescreen issues on boot since. It takes an extra second or two to get into Windows but for me that's not an issue. you can find the option to disable it under:

Settings> System> Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings > Choose what the power button does > Change settings that are currently unavailable (with the admin shield icon) > Turn on fast startup

Uncheck it and you're done. It may seem like an obscure and unimportant setting but it completely changes the way Windows operates when you boot the system.