Hybrid View

New ROGer Array

SSD -> M.2 issues

I was wondering if you all could help me out with a problem I'm having on a Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard.

My main drive (a 256GB SSD) is running out of space and I would like to upgrade to a 525GB M.2 drive. I installed the M.2 drive and rebooted the computer thinking that i would be able to just boot to my regular drive as usual, and then clone it onto the M.2. When I start up with the M.2 drive installed in my system, my main drive is no longer seen, but my unformatted M.2 is seen.

Any thoughts on how to make this work so I can do the upgrade?

Thank you all for you thoughts and let me know if you need any other information

TeamROG Folding@Home Array ottoyu34 PC Specs
    ottoyu34 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus IX Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 7700K
    Memory (part number)Trident Z RGB (F4-3600C16D-16GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix GTX1080 Ti OC
    MonitorLG IPS LED 27"
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB
    Storage #2Crucial MX300 525GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H115i
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Ed.
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
    Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K65
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Mouse Pad Razer Destructor
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-2300 2.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterAsus RT-N66U

Try a different SATA port, some ports share bandwidth with the m.2 slot which will be disabled when m.2 is installed.

New ROGer Array

I'll give another SATA port for the main drive and see if it still acts up when I plug in the M.2 drive. Maybe I should format it first and then see if the main drive reappears?.

I have plugged the M.2 drive into the only receiving M.2 slot on the motherboard
    1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE model)
    Last edited by jgadlage; 04-24-2017 at 01:23 AM.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Exactly where do you have the second M2 plugged in? The only way I know that it will work correctly is in a PCIe M2 adaptor plugged into PCIe_4 slot

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chevell65 PC Specs
    chevell65 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z370-H, ROG Maximus VII Z97
    ProcessorIntel 4790K 4.6GHz, Intel i5 8400, Intel e8600 Wolfdale, Intel Q9650 Yorkfield, Intel E6750 Conroe
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill PC3600
    Graphics Card #1GTX 660 OC
    MonitorAsus 23"
    CaseCorsair clear case
    Power SupplyThermaltake
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G9
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterDLink DIR-655, Asus AC88

Quote Originally Posted by jgadlage View Post
    I was wondering if you all could help me out with a problem I'm having on a Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard.

My main drive (a 256GB SSD) is running out of space and I would like to upgrade to a 525GB M.2 drive. I installed the M.2 drive and rebooted the computer thinking that i would be able to just boot to my regular drive as usual, and then clone it onto the M.2. When I start up with the M.2 drive installed in my system, my main drive is no longer seen, but my unformatted M.2 is seen.

Any thoughts on how to make this work so I can do the upgrade?

Thank you all for you thoughts and let me know if you need any other information
    If you are using a M.2 drive then the first SATA 0 port won't be usable because that lane is now occupied by M.2.

You can then use the next SATA 1 port for your SSD drive.

There are a few other installation tips that may be required which you can see by scrolling to bottom of this link.
    Last edited by chevell65; 04-24-2017 at 06:40 PM.

New ROGer Array

UPDATE:
    So I was able to get the SSD recognized and boot to my main drive again. I moved my main SSD off of the SATA Express port and put it onto a regular SATA port and problem solved.

Now I have have been able to boot back into my main SSD drive as well as have the M.2 connected to the computer. I can run Acronis to do a direct clone to my new M.2 drive, but when I then try to boot to the M.2 drive while the SSD is disconnected I get more problems. Now I get a constant boot menu that has the Windows 10 circling circles. I have restarted multiple times and that is all I get - no system repair / restore or anything. I guess it just isn't meant to be as my other SSD works fine when I put it back in

Returning the M.2 since it doesn't seem like it is ready for prime time yet and eliminating the frustration - just isn't worth the headache for something that doesn't work.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Darren Stevens PC Specs
    Darren Stevens PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    Graphics Card #2ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    MonitorASUS PG348Q ROG Swift 34in 100Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i Digital ATX Modular
    Keyboard ASUS ROG GK2000 Horus RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse
    Headset ASUS ROG Cerberus Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath Gaming Surface
    Headset/Speakers ASUS ROG Centurion True 7.1 Gaming Headset
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit UEFI Install
    Network RouterASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Triband Router
    Accessory #1 Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Accessory #2 ASUS ROG SLI HB Bridge - 4 Slot

Keep the M.2 & do a clean Windows 10 UEFI install on it, plug the SSD back in later & use it for storage, before you start copy & past onto a USB anything that is important such as photos, documents, ect, & put them back on later.

New ROGer Array

Even after disconnecting my data and data back up drives and only booting from the M.2 drive, I got the spinning circles of death and nothing else. Probably more OS related issue more than anything, but I have freed up enough space from my 256GB SSD to make it usable for a little while longer (48GB left now).

I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version for the Z170 Pro Gaming MB to see if that would help, but that didn't (even though the SSD was bootable, but hung on the spinning circles). No, there wasn't any wireless, USB dongles, or other Bluetooth devices plugged into my computer on startup. Just a USB mouse and keyboard connected to the computer and my monitor connected to my GTX1070 through DVI.

No way in the world I am going back and doing a fresh install to Windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 up to 10 before the cutoff in August of 2016 so that option is no longer available unless I want to pay for a whole new OS. Beside the point I'm not going to start all over from scratch when a perfectly good working Acronis clone of the OS should work (and has worked in the past). If I stored all of my data and OS on one drive, this would be even more of a headache. Luckily I have my data and my back up data on individual drives to prevent this from happening. I am going to skip doing this upgrade for now as I haven't found a solution to the spinning circles error. I would love the speed increase that the M.2 drive will offer, but maybe a more mature driver set for M.2 or BIOS to handle this feature would cure this problem (either that or MS could fix the spinning circles error as well).

For now, the M.2 drive has been returned, the original SSD has been re-installed and handles OS duties once again without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Stevens View Post
    Keep the M.2 & do a clean Windows 10 UEFI install on it, plug the SSD back in later & use it for storage, before you start copy & past onto a USB anything that is important such as photos, documents, ect, & put them back on later.
    Last edited by jgadlage; 05-06-2017 at 02:26 AM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Darren Stevens PC Specs
    Darren Stevens PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    Graphics Card #2ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    MonitorASUS PG348Q ROG Swift 34in 100Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i Digital ATX Modular
    Keyboard ASUS ROG GK2000 Horus RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse
    Headset ASUS ROG Cerberus Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath Gaming Surface
    Headset/Speakers ASUS ROG Centurion True 7.1 Gaming Headset
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit UEFI Install
    Network RouterASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Triband Router
    Accessory #1 Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Accessory #2 ASUS ROG SLI HB Bridge - 4 Slot

Fair enough, it's a shame tho the M.2's are a great bit of kit, if u ever decide to reinstall there is no need to buy a new win 10 OS, just download the media creation tool from Microsoft follow the prompts, copy win 10 onto USB & install, the OS will recognise your previous win 10 instalation & activate it, also your original Win 7 product key will work, u may just have to activate it on line on the Microsoft site, cheers.