cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIXH I7 OC log

Klute_Onren
Level 9
I wanted to keep a log of my overclocking, considering profiles get wiped with uefi updates and my only storage on this machine is a raid ssd I wanted to keep a log on the cloud. Now when my drive corrupt's I can look back at what I did.

Current Configuration:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero
CPU: Intel I7 7700k
RAM: F4-3600C16D-16GTZKW
GPU: Asus 1070FE
Storage: Samsung Evo 850 250g x2 in RAID0
PSU: Antec Edge 750
Cooling: Custom hardline loop with cpu and gpu block with 360x60 radiator push pull fans
note: (I need to delid this cpu, temps are holding me back even on a custom loop)

Temp test = realtemp + prime95 26.6 small in place ftt ran for 1 minute for general idea (further time noted)

4/22/17
LLC 3 everything else optimized default
4.9ghz +HT 1.27vcore 30m aida stable 10m prime95 26.6 sfft stable 1+hr gaming the division stable, realtemp + 26.6 prime max temp 77-78c ambient 21-22c
4.9ghz +HT 1.26vcore froze on temp test
4.9ghz +HT 1.265vcore BSOD while loading temp test (restore point saved OS)
4.9ghz +HT 1.27 LLC3 assumed best stable for 4.9
5.0ghz +HT 1.27 login freeze
5.0ghz +HT 1.275 login freeze
5.0ghz +HT 1.28 login freeze
5.0ghz +HT 1.285 login freeze
5.0ghz +HT 1.29 login + BSOD (startup repair fail, system restore sucess)
5.0ghz +HT 1.29 + LLC 4 login success, freeze on tempt test
5.0ghz +HT 1.295 login sucess, freeze on temp test
5.0ghz +HT 1.3 login sucess, freeze on temp test
5.0ghz +HT 1.3 +LLC 5 1 min of temp test passed 89-90c (restore point created to keep aida and real temp) 30m of aida64 passed temps 90c max. Will do general use stability test tomorrow.

4/23/17
General browsing and sat in the division queue for half an hour. Ambient is about 19c
5.0ghz +HT 1.3vcore LLC5 ram 3600 dramv 1.35 vccio 1.2 sa 1.2 16-16-16-38-2N tweak mode 2 1min temp test 86-87c 5min temp test 88-89c 30min aida64 stable, max temp 90c, a few more aida 30minute runs and stable, an hour of the division stable.

Benchmarks 5.0ghz +HT 1.3vcore LLC5 ram 3600 1.35 16-16-16-38-2N tm2 vccio 1.2 system agent 1.2
Cinebench R15 CPU: 1115 OpenGL: 183.33
realbench is giving me a ton of problems, very inconsistent results and freezes on the encoding part every time. I changed several thing's with no results. I reverted everything to this morning except I left the AC? and DC? at 0.01 because I remember hearing to do that somewhere.

Everything has run stable all day. Next I might mess with bclk or ram or maybe turn off HT and see what I can do with temps. I need to put a non-raid drive on here so I don't toast my array, don't feel like constantly redoing everything.
4 REPLIES 4

Klute_Onren
Level 9
4/24/17

Today my machine has acted a little funny, first boot this morning went to a black screen (oculus was main display somehow is the best solution I can think of). But after that The Division would crash when changing characters, then twice it froze in game. A second black screen happened and today when I got home it simply sat at the ROG screen and stopped loading the OS. No corruptions of data just acting odd. I'll figure out what to do from here.

random thought, I didn't have issues until I redid my custom pci-e cable, maybe my connections aren't very good.

subsequent time on other games tells me it probably wasn't the pci-e cable rather not enough vcore. CPU was touching 90c so delid was supposed to solve that.

Well a couple day's ago I delidded my 7700k and assumed you could run a naked die (like the old Athlon's) But I didn't realize that the IHS is almost 1/4" thick and won't let the die even come close to the block. So after 10 second's my system shut off and the cpu is done for.

I have a Pentium G4560 coming in the mail tomorrow and I'm going to see how hard I can push it, either it'll break or last long enough for coffee lake to come out. Given what happens will determine what I do.

G4560 is a dual core HT kaby lake cpu at I think 3.5ghz so it'll be a locked multiplier of 35. Curious if cache is locked too, that'll probably stop me before core, I'll delid this one too and put the IHS back on this time. Anyways it'll be fun and I just paid my $300 tax for stupid people.

edit: Can't bclk non-K cpu's on z270. I got a 7600k today but I'm pondering as to opening and de-lidding it or taking it back and upgrading to 7700k

Klute_Onren
Level 9
I put the 7600k in the system and just today started to OC it and ran one bench. I was pushing 5.1ghz until I saw the temps because I just threw volt's at it to make it easy. I just loaded my 4.9ghz profile but had to bump vcore from 1.27 to 1.30 and it's still running hot. With that said I'm sitting here sweating so I don't really have a good way to compare the two as the 7700k runs were significantly cooler ambient.

What I do know is that the 7600k @4.9 ghz gives lower cinebench scores. I have an extra monitor now and had a few background process' running but cinebench cpu = 711 openGL = 111fps. I'll do some more thorough work and start a new log since this one is done for. Also on the de-lid I went with Arctic Silver 5 under and above the IHS, didn't want a problem with liquid metal, might give that a go in the future.

Here is a pic of the system, only difference is now it has black fluid instead of white.

Klute_Onren
Level 9
So a quick update on the 7600k since I'm not ready to start a new thread. The cpu is running hotter at same voltage as 7700k w/out HT and that's after delid. I am only hitting 4.9ghz but it is very stable. I am working on turning down the vcrore and tweaking the llc to make it stressable. I have changed my approach on finding stable and will run p95v26.6 in place large ftt in the background while I game. Temps go down and fps isn't hindered because I'm not playing anything stressful. This time around I'm not going to focus so hard on that 5ghz number, while I will see if it's doable on this chip with reasonable temps, instead I will focus on backing of overall clock and work on thing's like cache bclk and mem controller. I know that all of those thing's were lacking on my 7700k so maybe this chip will pick up the slack elsewhere. I'm not doing all day tweak/stress sessions rather every few night's I will change something and game/stress and check for stability. Right now I'm running solid 4.9ghz 1.28vcore LLC4 hitting 80c max temp. But it's summer now so it's difficult to compare temps (I use a swamp cooler so indoor temp is a constant variable). With all that said I had a reality check when jayztwocents put out a video of his phanteks enthoo evolv atx tg being a poor case for cooling so I'm somewhat thinking about a new case. That or not get to engrossed in maximum performance from my equipment. At any rate it's fun to get back in to tweaking a bit.