cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High temperatures on brand new GL502VMK

Reinserev
Level 7
Hello!

I have a brand-new GL502VMK with an i7 7700HQ CPU , GTX 1060 GPU and 12 GB of RAM. After 30 minutes of playing the Witcher 3 at Full HD on High/Ultra settings (some settings on High, others on Ultra, as reccomended by the G-Force Experience app) my CPU temperatures are around 88-92 degrees Celsius, according to Core Temp (while the GPU is at around 65, according to GPU-Z!). The CPU temperature quickly drops to 65 degress or less a few minutes after exiting the game. My idle temperatures are in the low 40's.
Is this normal? Is there anything wrong with my laptop?
I knew that The Witcher 3 is a very GPU and CPU intensive game (as stated by the game's creators), but those CPU temperatures have got me worried a little. I mention that I am running 64-bit Windows 10 with all updates installed, I also have all the latest drivers from ASUS's website and I have updated the GPU drivers to the latest version compatible with ROG laptops (the latest version refuses to install; this is a known bug and has been reported by many ROG GL users).

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Sincerely,
Carl
22 REPLIES 22

StarJack
Level 11
There's a detailed thread by Onjax regarding temperature issues with these laptops in the forums here. There are a few ways of dealing with it, such as undervolting CPU/GPU, creating a custom power profile and even adding an external fan heat extractor such as the Opolar LC06.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

This one?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...
I knew about it, but my laptop being new, I could still RMA it. But I have to know if I should do this or not, since I have no idea whethter other GL502VMK's have this issue or not. From what I've read in many places, those GL702's have major heat issues, while GL502's, espectially GL502VM's, do not.

Reinserev wrote:
This one?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...
I knew about it, but my laptop being new, I could still RMA it. But I have to know if I should do this or not, since I have no idea whethter other GL502VMK's have this issue or not. From what I've read in many places, those GL702's have major heat issues, while GL502's, espectially GL502VM's, do not.

I thought I've read people experienced similar temperature issues with the GL502VM also but maybe some actual owners could offer their own experience.

StarJack wrote:
I thought I've read people experienced similar temperature issues with the GL502VM also but maybe some actual owners could offer their own experience.

I have read about GL702's lagging on DotA 2 and even shutting down after 30 minutes of GTA V. Those have never happened to me so far. Also, according to various reviewers (Notebookcheck and Dave Lee on YouTube to name a few), the GL502's have significantly better heat dissipation.

StarJack wrote:

Do you Still have the problem? i was able to solve my....since Asus doenst know to set properly the voltage to both CPU and GPU....
Both of them are getting overclock voltage CPU 1.175V - GPU 1.2V this is to mutch..... the gafic card (GTX 1060 - 6GB) max clock its supposed to be on boost 1.670mhz but my grafic card was making 2.005Mhz on boost.

i manage to underclock the GPU and undervolte the CPU, and now i can play all major games ate 120fps , 69ºC max temp 74ºC

Use RiverTunner to see the clock speed that your are getting, and voltage usage.

MikeVonGI wrote:
the gafic card (GTX 1060 - 6GB) max clock its supposed to be on boost 1.670mhz but my grafic card was making 2.005Mhz on boost.

That's how Nvidia GPU Boost works. It will boost the clocks as high as it can go, depending on load, temperature and power limits. The advertised boost clocks are BS. All nvidia gpus will boost beyond that.
My 1070 boosts up to 1810Mhz and its advertised boost clock is 1683Mhz. All working fine, no throttling, no overheating.

StarJack
Level 11
As an owner of a GL702VM I can say I haven't seen either of those issues. Although I have my temperatures in check, idling at 36-38C and maxing out at 73-75C with something like Battlefield 1 on ultra settings.

Your temperatures scenario just sounds much like mine prior to undervolting.

I see. My apologies, those must have been some particularly faulty units or something. Thank you for your expertise.
So you just followed the aforementioned guide and now you have good temperatures? Also, do you have any idea if that affects the warranty in any way?

StarJack
Level 11
Yea, I've undervolted the CPU -0.150 and I'm using Onjax's profile #1 in MSI afterburner 4.3 for the GPU. I am also using a custom power profile which prohibits CPU from hitting 100%/turbo. I honestly do not notice a performance hit doing this at all. Others would disagree I'm sure but for what I do with my machine, everything runs at a more than acceptable pace. I also have a cooler master notepal x-slim cooling pad and the Opolar LC06. It's alot of crap to keep my system somewhat healthy and maybe a little more futureproof but I spent too much cash on it and honestly couldn't find a model with the same specs and better cooling at the price.