cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1080 STRIX BIOS UPDATE to 11 Gbps

Poochielol
Level 7
Hi,

recently i found interesting news about EVGA 1080 - users can download and install new GPU BIOS and get free 11 GBPS (from 10). That resulted in 4%+ performance increase.

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1080-FTW2-and-SC2-OPTIONAL-11GHz-BIOS-Update-Available-Now-...

So we are not worse than EVGA and we want the same update. What do you think?

I have ASUS ROG 1080 STRIX.
7 REPLIES 7

JustinThyme
Level 13
Its more a question of if the memory will support it. If you have a golden egg with Samsung memory there is a fair chance. If its Micron a fart has a better chance of survival in a hurricane.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Its more a question of if the memory will support it. If you have a golden egg with Samsung memory there is a fair chance. If its Micron a fart has a better chance of survival in a hurricane.

But aren't all 1080s with GDDR5X, which are only manufactured by Micron (none by Samsung)?
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

Edward_Teach
Level 7
All evga cards are micron memory. I do not believe any nvidia 10 series card uses anything but micron memory

Menthol
Level 14
GDDR5X is all Micron, the 1070's and below use GDDR5 and may be Micron or Samsung
Check the card model, ICX version, not the original series which were not ICX, if you have a model # that the bios is for then go for it.

I would not expect to see a bios like this for any other brand or model, the chances for complete stability are slim and chances for RMA would increase

Menthol
Level 14
GDDR5X is all Micron, the 1070's and below use GDDR5 and may be Micron or Samsung
If you flash follow there instructions, save your current bios in case your card is not stable with the new bios and you need to flash back

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Sound nice. but as far yes all our cards use micron. that update is possible?. i was on the impression that these magical upgrade was on the Samsung memory side and that push a extra punch. but sound nice anyway. as Justin say. a fart ... wait. that will survive a hurricane.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

JustinThyme
Level 13
1080 is still a crap shoot. Could be micron or samsung with GDDR5. If you have a 1080 OC edition it has GDDR5X which is all Micron. I bought a pair of 1080s when they first launched, one was samsung, the other was micron. The Samsung card would overclock on the Vram nicely while the micron was pretty much a dud.

Prudent thing to do is run GPUZ and be certain of what you have first. If its not GDDR5X memory its not going to do 11Gbps. If you decide to flash your VBIOS make damn sure you save the original first so you have a back out. What is loaded on internet sites has proven to be not reliable. You have to keep in mind that anyone can upload, including butt plugs that find spamming out a corrupted VBIOS is funny.

Without changing a thing in the VBIOS to get the Vram up you can simply OC it with a utility. The only time Ive seen Flashing a VBIOS as something that is actually beneficial is when you have a good cooling solution and you up the core and power limits.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein