cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only 1 RAM Stick working

TimTomTwo
Level 7
Hi,
so now I got my replacement, after the boot-loop problem, but now my system only works with one RAM stick, instead of two.
The weird thing about this is, the board and even AIDA64 recognize the second stick, but Windows TaskManager and the BIOS tells me, that only 8GB is in use...
And yes, I tried booting with each stick separately and it boots to Windows and all just fine, so both sticks seem to work properly.
Got anybody any idea?

System:
Crosshair VI Hero
BIOS 0083
Ryzen 1800x
HyperX DIMM 16GB DDR4-2666 Kit (HX426C15FBK2/16)
Windows 10 Home
73 REPLIES 73

injurer
Level 7
Try again with both sticks. Use slots A2 and B2. Counting the slots from the CPU those are the 2nd and the 4th. Ensure they properly fit.

If they doesn't work, try swapping the sticks so A2 goes to B2 and vice versa.

injurer
Level 7
Try again with both sticks. Use slots A2 and B2. Counting the slots from the CPU those are the 2nd and the 4th. Ensure they properly fit.

If they doesn't work, try swapping them so the stick from A2 goes to B2 and vice versa.

They both are already in A2 and B2. And I already swapped them out. And I've tried A1 and B1 as well...

Can you grab screenshots of the Memory and SPD tabs in CPU Z?

Unfortunately I'm unable at the moment to get to my PC...
But as soon as I get home again (maybe next weekend) I will post a screenshot of the UEFI SPD screen, AIDA64 RAM infos and Cpuz SPD tab...

Until then, got anybody some other ideas?

I'm finally home and can deliver those screenshots. Hope they help:

Nate152
Hi Tim Tom Two

It looks like your hardware reserved has reserved alot, much more than mine has reserved.

Click the pic to make it bigger.

Nate152 wrote:
It looks like your hardware reserved has reserved alot

Agreed. I was just looking that up. From what I've been reading, that sounds like possibly a bad RAM stick to me. It sounds like starting with windows 8.1, windows started to flag bad memory as hardware reserved. The piece most commonly identifying whether it was hardware or a software issue being whether or not the BIOS recognized the full memory amount.

I'm assuming you don't have any other RAM you could try?

Did see some people who identified it as a software issue saying they fixed it using this though.

Start > type msconfig in box > enter key > select boot tab > select Advanced options > make sure "Maximum memory:" check box is unchecked > OK > Apply > OK. Reboot.