cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What 32GB memory kit worked for you best out of the box? Preferably DDR4-3200.

mindsignals
Level 9
I have fought with my GSkill 2666 for years on my 5930k (32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2666MHz (4X8G GSKILL F4-2666C15Q-32GRR)) and have finally decided I am getting new memory after 2 1/2 years of ridiculous instability whether at 100 or 125 strap rates and probably hundreds of tweak attempts on my Rampage V Extreme.

If you have a 32GB kit, can you please post which one you have and whether or not you have had stability issues? Also, if you had to tweak initial settings after selecting an XMP profile, can you detail other significant changes you had to make? I'm planning to order a kit later tonight or first thing tomorrow.

I'm thinking about HyperX Predator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 RAM (Desktop Memory) CL16 XMP Black DIMM (288-Pin) HX432C16PB3K4/32
as my experience with the GSkill set I currently have has made me wary of them given that 2666 was supposed to be one of the more stable speeds.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi mindsignals

G.Skill is top notch when it comes to motherboard memory and the problem is more likely with your cpu's IMC, you can try raising the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage to achieve stability.

Raising the Dram voltage a little can also help stabilize ram.

Setting your ram manually instead of using XMP profile can sometimes give better results.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi mindsignals

G.Skill is top notch when it comes to motherboard memory and the problem is more likely with your cpu's IMC, you can try raising the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage to achieve stability.

Hello

This has been proven through use by thousands of users. While any individual product can be faulty in general there is no better choice for DDR4. Most complaints of issues end up being something else other than the memory.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi mindsignals

Raising the Dram voltage a little can also help stabilize ram.

Setting your ram manually instead of using XMP profile can sometimes give better results.

I did try to test the CPU yesterday with Intel's Diagnostic Tool. Unfortunately, that crashes on launch so it looks like I'll need to make a bootable stick if I'm to run that. (It gives the somewhat common string error when trying to check which processor is running and although I read of a flag to suppress it, access to the file requiring modificaiton is denied.)

I had previously run several memory tests, though there doesn't seem to be a good consensus on the best test...I had actually not received any issues with that as I recall, but it was over a year ago so I can re-execute one of those test suites.

I have bumped the SA voltage from .848 to 1.048v (have it set for + 0.202 offset) and also currently have the DRAM voltage down at 1.20 now with a base rate of 2400mhz. Beforehand, I had it at 1.36 or thereabouts for 2666mhz.

I have also long suspected it could be graphics card related as I used to have a tri-sli setup and the center card had inadequate space resulting in significant heat issues. Eventually, that card died. I'm in the process of getting two 1080 ti's to replace the two remaining 780ti's and to get my 3 PG278Q monitors back in action. I can see if that is sufficient in correcting the instability first.

Nate152
You could try SA anywhere from 1.10v up to 1.35v to see if it will stabilize, the better ram tests are HCI Memtest and Google Stress app.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I honestly doubt trying for 3200MHz after failing to run 2666 is the way forward here. Often the memory kit itself has little to do with running stably and it's more about the particular memory controller on the CPU...sounds like your CPU has a weak IMC..if it runs 2333/2400 at stock voltage but fails 2666 on any strap.

You could do a quick and dirty memtest by using 1.1,1.15,1.2,1.25v vccsa and using 1.35 or 1.375v for DRAM just to see if that is more stable.

The G.Skill kit in my specs works flawlessly for me if you are determined to try another kit.

Vayne4800
Level 7
Sorry for the no update. I managed to get an 8 hour realbench success pass and 600% HCL memtest pass. That was with 2666 14-14-14-34-T1 Mode 1. I used strap 100Mhz (basically the same settings I had before). DDR voltage was upped to 1.3v. So I believe I can attempt a 3200Mhz ram speed but at this point I will need to up SA as default won't do it. My initial testing showed that I can do it with 1.4v-1.45v. Is it safe to run ram at that voltage 24/7?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
1.45v is fine on DDR4. With SA, most CPU will find stability within the region of 0.900 to 1.15v. You will just have to see what works best for that ratio

Nate152 wrote:
You could try SA anywhere from 1.10v up to 1.35v to see if it will stabilize, the better ram tests are HCI Memtest and Google Stress app.

Nate, 1.35v is excessive for this platform. Using more than this should not be nessessary with that much memory on the Rampage.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

red454
Level 11
My G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK kit has been fine for over a year running with XMP enabled...
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro