cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem installing Samsung NVME drivers

g_tse
Level 7
Hello!

I have a problem installing the samsung nvme drivers available on their website (v 2.2).
The disks show up in my device manager but they are using a windows driver. I cannot manually install driver or by running the driver update exe from samsung.
As you can see from the ss, this results in not being able to see them in samsung magician. I have tried both version of the software (4.97 & 5) and in both it says that my disks are not supported.
I have tried with only 1 nvme on board, same thing. Both the nvme's are recognized just fine in both my other rigs running windows 10 home using again asus mobo's (crosshair vi hero & z170 maximus viii gene).

Would it have anything to do with bios settings?
Running windows 10 home on a Asus Strix Z270 Gaming E mobo (latest fw)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

chevell65
Level 12
Please scroll to nearly the bottom of this page for directions to install Windows 10 to your Samsung NVME drive.

chevell65 wrote:
Please scroll to nearly the bottom of this page for directions to install Windows 10 to your Samsung NVME drive.

Thanks for the reply, I will read the page linked again but my problem is not my windows installation.
I have installed 3 copies of windows on my nvme's from a USB stick and everything works perfectly.
The only problem is that I can't install the original driver and therefore it cannot be recognized in Samsung magician.
Other than that, the disks work perfectly and read - write times are what they should be..

I got the exact same problem, with both a 950pro and a 960evo m.2´s. I tired the link above and took all drives out but the 950 (took the other m.2 960 out too) so that i only had the 950 installed. But the problem is still there. Samsung magician says that the 950pro is not supported. This is with a fresh copy of win10 and only the nvme samsung driver installed.

*update:

I got it sorted now, the only thing i needed to do was to "clear secure boot keys" in bios, and not installing any new "secure boot keys" save and exit bios. After that Samsung magician found my drives as normal again. I got CSM on enable and boot option set to "windows UEFI".

Northland wrote:
I got the exact same problem, with both a 950pro and a 960evo m.2´s. I tired the link above and took all drives out but the 950 (took the other m.2 960 out too) so that i only had the 950 installed. But the problem is still there. Samsung magician says that the 950pro is not supported. This is with a fresh copy of win10 and only the nvme samsung driver installed.

*update:

I got it sorted now, the only thing i needed to do was to "clear secure boot keys" in bios, and not installing any new "secure boot keys" save and exit bios. After that Samsung magician found my drives as normal again. I got CSM on enable and boot option set to "windows UEFI".

Will try it when I get home from work, thank you both for the response, much appreciated!

Just tried it, now Magician works like a charm, again thank you.

Two more quick questions if you could assist please.

Since everything is working now, I would like to know the following:

I have wiped & removed my 960pro to add to another build (1800X on Crosshair VI Hero) - left my 950 pro on this rig.
Performance wise, does it make any difference which m2 slot I use?

On the other hand, since I have another SSD available for that build that I can use, I was also considering the option of reformatting both and using the 950 pro and the 960 evo in a raid configuration on this board. Do you think it is worth it?

g.tse wrote:
Two more quick questions if you could assist please.

Since everything is working now, I would like to know the following:

I have wiped & removed my 960pro to add to another build (1800X on Crosshair VI Hero) - left my 950 pro on this rig.
Performance wise, does it make any difference which m2 slot I use?

On the other hand, since I have another SSD available for that build that I can use, I was also considering the option of reformatting both and using the 950 pro and the 960 evo in a raid configuration on this board. Do you think it is worth it?

Glad to see you figured out the secure boot key delete to make that drive show up in Samsung Magician.

You are supposed to use the top M.2 slot for your Op system drive.

According to most people who have tried this, using RAID 0 gives no real world performance advantage. This question keeps coming up but others have tried and they claim there is no real world performance advantage but it will show slightly better performance on bench tests.

chevell65 wrote:
Glad to see you figured out the secure boot key delete to make that drive show up in Samsung Magician.

What is the reason for this, and are there any performance implications? I've loaded my OS (win10) on the lower M.2 slot., and so wonder if I should redo it. I have the same drive in each (SS 960 Evo). Thanks!

goanna wrote:
chevell65 wrote:

What is the reason for this, and are there any performance implications? I've loaded my OS (win10) on the lower M.2 slot., and so wonder if I should redo it. I have the same drive in each (SS 960 Evo). Thanks!

The top M.2 is listed as primary but I believe it works either way.

Northland wrote:

*update:

Hi,

almost 1,5 later and i hope you can remember 😉
i got a post https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?109177-Which-BIOS-settings-must-be-applied-to-update-the-N...
it seems similar to the one you solved.
by "Clear secure boot keys" you mean to delete the keys - i got 2 options and i'm not sure which one will fit ...
... "Security - Secure Boot menu - Secure Boot Control --> change the value to DISABLE"
... "Security - Secure Boot menu - Key Management - Delete all secure boot variables"

I disabled the "Secure Boot" Control" and enabled the CSM, but the driver tool is still not recognizing the disks.
"Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected. Connect the device and try again"