cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS - Laptop goes to sleep when it shouldn't.

TumbleDrylo
Level 7
Hello all. I am hoping that someone here can help me out.

I just recently purchased the GL502VS-DB71. When I connect an external monitor to either the HDMI or MD port, close the lid of the laptop, and start gaming, after a few minutes the laptop goes to sleep. I went into Windows 10 sleep settings and verified that never go to sleep is selected for all choices while the computer is plugged in. And yes the computer is plugged in. :cool:

But if I leave the lid of my laptop up, then it works just fine. One of the reasons why I purchased this laptop was because I I thought I could connect my external laptops when I am at the house and put the laptop out of the way.

Any help that anyone can provide to help resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
32 REPLIES 32

Bran187
Level 9
Anyone found a solution for this? My GL502VMK does this every once in a while. It's pretty few and far between, but it has happened a few times over the past few months playing Overwatch, and tonight it did so during a round of PUBG. Cost me a damn chicken dinner. XD

Really strange. It's pretty damn infrequent for me, and only seems to happen in certain games.

I can confirm, I have the same problem.
GL502VSK (7th Gen Intel) here. When the lid is closed, the laptop goes to sleep after a few minutes while playing high demanding games. When lid is open, it is fine. I checked the temperatures in both cases and there was no noteworthy difference.

Funny thing is, I had a GL502VS (6th Gen Intel) for a few months, before I got the newer one as a replacement because of battery drain issues. This one didn't go to sleep while gaming + lid closed.
It is really annoying. Please send help ASUS

Bran187
Level 9
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?7900-G53JW-Sleeping-While-Gaming-Overheat

Just doing some digging on the issue, it looks like people have had similar issues with different models as well. Some people at the end of this thread claim it was a problem with the ATK drivers and that updating them fixed it. Unfortunately I am on the latest ATK driver, so updating won't fix the issue.

I may try uninstalling the ATK drivers completely and see if that has any impact on the situation though.

I'll report back if I come across anything noteworthy, though it happens so infrequently for me, that it may take a couple of days of testing to come to any sort of conclusion.

Bran187 wrote:

I'll report back if I come across anything noteworthy, though it happens so infrequently for me, that it may take a couple of days of testing to come to any sort of conclusion.

I might have found a solution today which works for me apparently, it's about CPU's turbo boost option which is enabled by default and according to user feedback that turbo boost is not really helpful at all, here is my post about it:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52863-G750JS-Sleeps-when-playing-game-with-Lid-Closed-usin...

Let me know if it helps you!

Nicolas.G wrote:
I might have found a solution today which works for me apparently, it's about CPU's turbo boost option which is enabled by default and according to user feedback that turbo boost is not really helpful at all, here is my post about it:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52863-G750JS-Sleeps-when-playing-game-with-Lid-Closed-usin...

Interesting. For a long time I was running with turbo disabled (better cooling) but I can't recall if it was happening back then or not. I'll give it a try and report back in a few days. 🙂

Nicolas.G wrote:

I think your onto something. I'll have to test further over the next few days, but I tried playing a round of PUBG with boost on/lid closed and it went to sleep after about 5 minutes. Turned turbo off, and played an entire match without issue.

Like I say, I'll keep testing over the next few days but I think you are on the right track.

Bran187 wrote:
I think your onto something. I'll have to test further over the next few days, but I tried playing a round of PUBG with boost on/lid closed and it went to sleep after about 5 minutes. Turned turbo off, and played an entire match without issue.

Like I say, I'll keep testing over the next few days but I think you are on the right track.

Same here buddy! I've played "Friday the 13th" with lid closed and always got kicked into sleep mode after 5min when lid was closed. I completed 3 matches today without one issue anymore since turbo boost is off. Hallelujah!

Anybody find a fix for this yet? Disabling turbo boost is kinda a band aid fix IMO.

Bran187 wrote:
Anybody find a fix for this yet? Disabling turbo boost is kinda a band aid fix IMO.

I did a fresh install of windows, and so far the problem has not manifested itself. I'll keep watching it over the next few days an report back if anything changes.