cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IOMap64.sys crashing my computer

cabelo3d
Level 7
I bought an Asus Rog Maximus IX Hero a month ago and installed and updated some software that came with the Mobo CD and after some time I am randomly getting BSOD in my computer with IOMap64.sys error. Did a search in internet and seemed to have something regarding to Asus software (not sure though). I entered in Safe Mode and deleted the .sys from its folder and seems like the pc is not crashing anymore. What does that file do? What will I miss deleting it? Is there any workaround to do not need to delete it?

Carlos.
12 REPLIES 12

chevell65
Level 12
For this error message usually just uninstalling the NVidia display driver from Add-Remove programs, rebooting, then reinstalling the NVidia display driver will fix this issue. I saw this one the other day after updating to Windows 10 Creators update, easily fixed by uninstall and reinstall display driver but must reboot after uninstall.

It's usually best to update from the Asus support site but even those drivers can be out of date.

chevell65
Level 12
For this error message usually just uninstalling NVidia drivers, rebooting, then reinstalling drivers will fix this issue.

It's usually best to update from the Asus support site but even those drivers can be out of date.

I will give it a try as soon as I get home and will report back soon enough, thank you.

I uninstalled the video drivers using the DDU uninstaller and put the latest ones. However, I am only able to log into Windows when I delete the IOMap64.sys file entering the Safe Mode first.
Any other things I could try?

JustinThyme
Level 13
This has nothing to do with display drivers in the least and everything to do with ASUS software. If you have AI suite installed.....ditch it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Hey Guys,

i have an ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code + I7-7700K with the same problem.
But the error occurs only sometimes. Then is restart 2 times and the System is running awesome.

chevell65
Level 12
What is IOMap64?
The genuine IOMap64.sys file is a software component of Asus PC Probe by ASUS.
ASUS PC Probe is a utility software used for hardware device management. AsIOMap64.sys is a system driver required for the proper functioning of ASUS PC Probe. This file is not a critical Windows file and can be removed if known to create problems. ASUS PC Probe is a freeware application designed for the Windows platform that allows users to manage processor and graphics processing unit speeds, monitor and manage system fan RPM, AGP power levels, GPU and RAM temperature. After installation, the program resides in the taskbar and alerts the user on possible hardware issues such as the processor overheating. This program requires an ASUS motherboard as a prerequisite to work. ASUS is a Chinese personal computer vendor that manufactures everything from desktops and laptops to mobile phones, monitors, optical storage devices, and graphics cards. In 2013, it was the world's fifth largest computer seller, in terms of sales. The company began launching graphics cards in 2005 with their initial PhysX accelerator card. ASUS was founded in Taipei in 1989 by T.H. Tung, Ted Hsu, Wayne Hsieh and M.T. Liao, all previously employed by Acer. The company is currently headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan.

Description: IOMap64.sys is not essential for the Windows OS and causes relatively few problems. The IOMap64.sys file is located in a not clearly defined folder. The file size on Windows 10/8/7/XP is 0*bytes. *
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program has no visible window. There is no detailed description of this service. The IOMap64.sys file is not a Windows core file. The application has no file description. Note: File does not exist any longer. Therefore the technical security rating is 35% dangerous.

I read around on this because I had the same issue and indeed the fix for many was to reinstall the drivers for the GPU which worked for me. It also says it's a part of ASUS PC probe software. I also read that uninstalling AI Suite won't really fix the issue but you can remove the offending files manually by navigating to the following folders though this likely isn't the true cause of the issue.
IOMAP64.sys in three places so far
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\VGA COM\1.00.21
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\GPU TweakII
C:\Windows\System32\drivers

The other possibility is that you may have a bad stick of memory so you should use memtest to find the offending module. This issue has come up many times in the past with bad memory being the most likely cause.

I tried once again to completely remove graphic drivers but unfortunately didn't work to me.

Also, I noticed that even when I navigate to the IOMap64.sys location and delete it, sometimes it is created again.
Unfortunately I got rid of the Asus Suite software and restarted the pc many many times without any problems.
I used memtest during 2 hours (I know its not enough) and it found zero issues with memory sticks, will try to run a memtest overnight tho.

I really would like to be able to use the Asus Suite software.

Were you able to get a permanent fix for the problem? I uninstalled everything Asus related to get rid of the IOMAP64.sys