cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading ASUS G75VW - What's available for current "standards"?

Moosh89
Level 7
Hey

Proud owner of an ASUS G75VW 17" laptop. It's a few years old now but still serves me well! Just wondering what types of upgrades I can do to it as well as the costs associated with it to kick it up a few notches by today's standards? (Canadian currency if possible)

I'm thinking of saving to upgrade what I have if it's cheaper than just getting a new ASUS notebook, because I'm sure I've JUST finished paying this one out, and not quite ready to sink a few more years into paying out a new one which will be obsolete by the time it's paid out.

I really love my laptop, Long story short, I'm physically disabled so I prefer laptops so I can reach everything easily. I hardly travel with my laptop because I have a lot of devices hooked to it but it's definitely handy to just unplug everything and fold it up and stick it in my bag when I NEED to take it somewhere.

I'm not versed in PC upgrades, etc. I have a brother who works with PCs and understands it all but being my brother, he doesn't like to talk business with his sister when he comes home hahaha.

I'm big into 3D modelling, gaming, graphic design and movies.

Things I'd definitely be interested in doing (*if possible!):

3D video: (Apparently the G75 is 3D compatible? I've never been able to figure it out if mine indeed is!)
UHD Blu Ray Drive (I currently have a Blu Ray burner which I use a lot!)
More storage (I have 2 750GB drives of storage split to 4 drives but I'm constantly filling 2-3 drives)
Better graphics card, etc...

Here's a rundown of my current specifications:

Specifications

ASUS G75VW DH71-CA

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM (2.4GHz)
Chipset: Intel® HM77
Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 GB SDRAM
Display: 17.3" FHD 1920x1080
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

Storage: 2 x 750GB 7200 RPM
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray DVD Combo
Card Reader: 3 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ MS/ MS Pro/ MMC)

Camera: HD camera
Wireless LAN: 802.11 b/g/n
Ethernet: 10/100/1000
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0

Interface:
1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack
1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
4 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI
1 x SPIDIF speaker out
1 x mini Display Port

Audio: Built-in Speakers And Microphone, Built-in subwoofer

Battery: 8 Cell 5200
Power Adapter: AC adapter

Dimensions: 415 x 320 x 17 ~52 mm
Weight: 4.5 kg (with 8 cell battery)

Thanks everyone!
1 REPLY 1

Clintlgm
Level 14
Let me see if I can help you with this.
You are correct the 660M did and apparently you have the 3D screen 1920/1080 screen was shiny and 3D

You should have 1 accessible Ram slot open, you need to match the Timings and voltage of the current RAM you have 16GB should be enough even for 3D Modeling, If you think you can use more you can have the internal RAM removed and Replaced, that requires dissemble of your notebook

The Most Noticeable upgrade you can make would be to Replace your OS hard drive with an Samsung 860 Pro Even 2 of these? SSD will really cut your rendering time a lot. Even the older Samsung 850 Pro and or Evo will be Way Way faster than the hard drives you are currently running. Hold on to your hat faster.

For Greater storage of large files I see WD Now has a 4TB Passport external USB 3.0 drive,

I have to say here now the G75 left USB ports suck for USB hard Drives. the G7*** series all have a daughter card on that side and there are unsolvable issues. The Solution is to use the right side USB 3.0 Ports. I personally use a right angle USB 3.0 Adapter cable and a 4 port Powered hub. Works well for me going on 5 years now.

You could download your Manual Asus Support Downloads to better understand how the 3D works on your notebook. According to your list of spec you do have the 3D model.. Here is a link to an old thread concerning 3D on your model https://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-25489.html

There is not much you can do with the GPU or CPU what you have is still good.

Your key board is getting old you might want to consider a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse Logitech seems to be the best.

Hope this is some help for you.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro