cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Impact Ethernet port troubleshooting

Grizzledmoe
Level 7
Hi All, I recently finished a new HTPC build after a few issues with a return board that had 3 bent pins,,now I had intended to try another brand at a much lower price point but it came missing a io shield and any hardware and cables at all and also had no cover over the socket so yea thats where i stopped and put the lid back on the box so to speak,,anyway i also received another impact board and I have to say there were a couple noticeable improvements right off,,the sound card was actually covered like most pics show it,,where the first board had a card with no shield and was quite loose in its slot,,also the connector pins for the front panel HD audio connector pointed straight into the cooler fins at a 90 degree angle making hookup of that connection basically impossible for any cooler other than a stock and even then it was really pushing the limits,,I wondered why that connection was made that way,,but it seems this was fixed as the replacement boards soundcard connects out the back and works fine with even my Geminii M4,,,Everything fired up fine on the Maximus impact this time and after installing the Win 10 via a thumb drive i had setup to boot I installed all the basic drivers and a few free programs just to check out how the new low tdp Intel i5 6600 was going to work out,,,quite well in the htpc so far...now here i hit my first problem,, wired ethernet isnt working,,wireless seems very good and i could live with it,,but I have always been a hard wired first user,, probably due to being around when you needed all the speed you could coax out of your net, I have so far downloaded new drivers, uninstalled the other drivers and reinstalled them, ive also checked the bios ( first time in the current gen asus bios environment was quite a treat 🙂 ) still nothing seems to get this port to show signs of life,,my cat 5 cable is good as i just pulled the android tv box out it was connected to and worked fine, I have checked the router settings as well as anything i could find posted online,,even a older thread here,,
So has anyone experienced issues with the Intel i219 I think that is the one,,Device manager shows it under yellow as unable to start Code 10,,I am suspicous of windows 10 at the moment because i have not activated it yet,,I am still deciding if i want to stay with 10 or go back to 7,,and also considering running a Linux distro on it, they have gotten much more user friendly recently and would work well in a htpc i suspect,, Any help or info on the ethernet port or controller driver would be appreciated,,,thx
2 REPLIES 2

AKBAAR
Level 9

No luck with driver installation still getting same issue,,(this device cannot start code 10 ) I am about to conclude i have a second bad board from asus and for what i paid for the impact, that is just ridiculous, furthermore why would the ethernet controller for this board require this much troubleshooting to get working, it should be a simple affair after installing the drivers the first time, let alone the extended ns ive encountered with asus so far,,, pretty sure ive seen enough of their QC to know i wont be using this brand again in any future builds,,thx for trying to help,,guess im just stuck with wireless unless i want to tear it back down and rma the thing and heck 3rd board might not be any better based on what ive seen so far.
As far as i know there is no extra slots on the impact board for adding a card without dropping the GPU unless there is some kind of workaround using the u.2 wich i have not heard of,,there are no lights on at the port wich leads me to think this is probably a bad port considering all the software fixes attempted and the fact that it is enabled in the bios,, more than a little surprised that one of the higher priced boards offered by asus would fail at ethernet port hardware connection. Wish i had went with the other mini itx gytgabyte board and will probably change them out in due time, i hope no one else has as much trouble with asus as ive had.