cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme Build randomly rebooting - HELP!

Tyriall
Level 7
Hi all.

Around October 2014 I built my last Gaming Rig, an X99 system at the advent of DDR4 Ram.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Edition
MOBO: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4A2666C16 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4
PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum Power Supply
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC 4GB
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB.

Now we come to my issue... Basically, my computer will shut down randomly and then reboot. It's happened whilst Gaming and also when I've been browsing or just on the Desktop. I have run benchmarks and stress tests to try and replicate these random outages but can't seem to do it. These events were infrequent around a month ago but now they are happening almost daily... Yesterday 3 times.

I have looked at the Windows Error Logs and all I get are power errors, but nothing that leads to the component causing the issue. All the temperatures seem to be nominal, though the R9 290x does seem to run a little warmer than I'd expect, around 60-70 degrees whilst playing WoW. I even turned the Graphic settings down for Max.

I have been monitoring Processes and Temps via MSI Afterburner, Logitech Arx, Corsair Link, CPU-Z and GPU-Z. And I have seen no spikes or anything of the like preceding the power loss events.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue? Could it be the Motherboard?

P.S. Would it be practical, should the motherboad be the issue, To pair the 5960X with the Edition 10 or would there be an issue?

Cheers,
Tyriall
7 REPLIES 7

PipJones
Level 8
Tyriall wrote:
Hi all.

Around October 2014 I built my last Gaming Rig, an X99 system at the advent of DDR4 Ram.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Edition
MOBO: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4A2666C16 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4
PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum Power Supply
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC 4GB
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB.

Now we come to my issue... Basically, my computer will shut down randomly and then reboot. It's happened whilst Gaming and also when I've been browsing or just on the Desktop. I have run benchmarks and stress tests to try and replicate these random outages but can't seem to do it. These events were infrequent around a month ago but now they are happening almost daily... Yesterday 3 times.

I have looked at the Windows Error Logs and all I get are power errors, but nothing that leads to the component causing the issue. All the temperatures seem to be nominal, though the R9 290x does seem to run a little warmer than I'd expect, around 60-70 degrees whilst playing WoW. I even turned the Graphic settings down for Max.

I have been monitoring Processes and Temps via MSI Afterburner, Logitech Arx, Corsair Link, CPU-Z and GPU-Z. And I have seen no spikes or anything of the like preceding the power loss events.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue? Could it be the Motherboard?

P.S. Would it be practical, should the motherboad be the issue, To pair the 5960X with the Edition 1 or would there be an issue?

Cheers,
Tyriall

It could be the motherboard, but, it would not be the first thing I would look at.

Are you overclocking?

Starting point would be to upload your BIOS screen shots to see if we can spot anything obvious.

What are you using Corsair Link for? In my experience, it is not a good monitoring tool and (I believe) can introduce instability.

PipJones wrote:
It could be the motherboard, but, it would not be the first thing I would look at.

Are you overclocking?

Starting point would be to upload your BIOS screen shots to see if we can spot anything obvious.

What are you using Corsair Link for? In my experience, it is not a good monitoring tool and (I believe) can introduce instability.

Not Overclocking. Everything is pretty much default at the moment. Was running XMP profile for a bit of a boost from the RAM but a few to many failed POSTS made me go back to default.

Just flashed to the Latest BIOS, and someone on another forum suggested to Disable EIST, Intel Turbo boost, Enhanced Turbo Boost, C-States. I also just turned off automatic restarts in System Recovery Settings in Windows 10 to see if it jams up during a particular action.

I don't really use it anymore. It was something i had installed to monitor temps and fans whilst OCing. but never really delved into it. so it just sits there. Only started using it when this issue cam up to try and figure out if anything was spiking hard. CorsairLink causes instability? really? Didn't know that.

Tyriall wrote:
Not Overclocking. Everything is pretty much default at the moment. Was running XMP profile for a bit of a boost from the RAM but a few to many failed POSTS made me go back to default.

Just flashed to the Latest BIOS, and someone on another forum suggested to Disable EIST, Intel Turbo boost, Enhanced Turbo Boost, C-States. I also just turned off automatic restarts in System Recovery Settings in Windows 10 to see if it jams up during a particular action.

I don't really use it anymore. It was something i had installed to monitor temps and fans whilst OCing. but never really delved into it. so it just sits there. Only started using it when this issue cam up to try and figure out if anything was spiking hard. CorsairLink causes instability? really? Didn't know that.

Yes, Corsair Link can cause instability - especially when used with other monitoring software. I only use it to install the drivers so that other monitoring s/w can access link devices.

Apologies if this is telling you things you already know.

Stating the obvious, check all your connections (especially the 3x power connections to the MB) and make sure everything is seated correctly.

Stick to one piece of monitoring software. Delete / remove all others monitoring software. I would recommend SIV or AIDA. Beware, SIV has a learning curve.

If you're not overclocking, go into BIOS and load optimised defaults, save and exit. Retest.

If you're not stable, set your RAM timings to match the RAM that you've purchased - I would use the XMP settings. Retest.

If you're not stable, use only 1x stick of RAM. Retest.

If you're still not stable, post all screen shots of your BIOS.

Disabling all options in the BIOS for spread spectrum was what helped fix this issue for me. Theres a few different spots for this option, disable them all and try that as well.

PipJones wrote:
I would recommend SIV or AIDA. Beware, SIV has a learning curve.

wow SIV is awfully designed but packed full of great info. Will use thsi more now.

I'll Reset the bios to optimized defaults and see how it runs tomorrow. Then ill start disabling stuff again should there be a crash.. Hasnt crashed at all today since turning off the Automatic reboot and EIST settings as i said in my OP.

chevell65
Level 12
Have you looked in the Windows event viewer under critical events? It should be showing the events leading up to the BSOD.

chevell65 wrote:
Have you looked in the Windows event viewer under critical events? It should be showing the events leading up to the BSOD.

I have and there is nothing directly preceding events. There is Power Shell Error entry for when windows logs back in but nothing about what caused it which is what makes me think it's probably a hardware issue.