ROG Member Array

Rampage V Extreme Build randomly rebooting - HELP!

Hi all.

Around October 2014 I built my last Gaming Rig, an X99 system at the advent of DDR4 Ram.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Edition
    MOBO: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4A2666C16 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4
    PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum Power Supply
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC 4GB
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB.

Now we come to my issue... Basically, my computer will shut down randomly and then reboot. It's happened whilst Gaming and also when I've been browsing or just on the Desktop. I have run benchmarks and stress tests to try and replicate these random outages but can't seem to do it. These events were infrequent around a month ago but now they are happening almost daily... Yesterday 3 times.

I have looked at the Windows Error Logs and all I get are power errors, but nothing that leads to the component causing the issue. All the temperatures seem to be nominal, though the R9 290x does seem to run a little warmer than I'd expect, around 60-70 degrees whilst playing WoW. I even turned the Graphic settings down for Max.

I have been monitoring Processes and Temps via MSI Afterburner, Logitech Arx, Corsair Link, CPU-Z and GPU-Z. And I have seen no spikes or anything of the like preceding the power loss events.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue? Could it be the Motherboard?

P.S. Would it be practical, should the motherboad be the issue, To pair the 5960X with the Edition 10 or would there be an issue?

Cheers,
    Tyriall
    Last edited by Tyriall; 04-25-2017 at 03:03 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array PipJones PC Specs
    PipJones PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i7-6850K @ 4500 CPU / 3900 Cache / AVX -2
    Memory (part number)CMK16GX4M4C3200C16
    Graphics Card #1nVidia GTX1080ti FE with EK W/C
    MonitorIiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU
    Storage #1256Gb Samsung NVMe (MZ-V5P256BW)
    Storage #24x HGST HTS721010A9E630 1TB 2.5" 7K1000 SATA 3 7200rpm (RAID 10)
    CPU CoolerCustom EK Loop
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Raptor K30 Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS Gaming Mouse
    OS Windows 10/64

Arrow My thoughts ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyriall View Post
    Hi all.

Around October 2014 I built my last Gaming Rig, an X99 system at the advent of DDR4 Ram.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Edition
    MOBO: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4A2666C16 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4
    PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum Power Supply
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC 4GB
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB.

Now we come to my issue... Basically, my computer will shut down randomly and then reboot. It's happened whilst Gaming and also when I've been browsing or just on the Desktop. I have run benchmarks and stress tests to try and replicate these random outages but can't seem to do it. These events were infrequent around a month ago but now they are happening almost daily... Yesterday 3 times.

I have looked at the Windows Error Logs and all I get are power errors, but nothing that leads to the component causing the issue. All the temperatures seem to be nominal, though the R9 290x does seem to run a little warmer than I'd expect, around 60-70 degrees whilst playing WoW. I even turned the Graphic settings down for Max.

I have been monitoring Processes and Temps via MSI Afterburner, Logitech Arx, Corsair Link, CPU-Z and GPU-Z. And I have seen no spikes or anything of the like preceding the power loss events.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue? Could it be the Motherboard?

P.S. Would it be practical, should the motherboad be the issue, To pair the 5960X with the Edition 1 or would there be an issue?

Cheers,
    Tyriall
    It could be the motherboard, but, it would not be the first thing I would look at.

Are you overclocking?

Starting point would be to upload your BIOS screen shots to see if we can spot anything obvious.

What are you using Corsair Link for? In my experience, it is not a good monitoring tool and (I believe) can introduce instability.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by PipJones View Post
    It could be the motherboard, but, it would not be the first thing I would look at.

Are you overclocking?

Starting point would be to upload your BIOS screen shots to see if we can spot anything obvious.

What are you using Corsair Link for? In my experience, it is not a good monitoring tool and (I believe) can introduce instability.
    Not Overclocking. Everything is pretty much default at the moment. Was running XMP profile for a bit of a boost from the RAM but a few to many failed POSTS made me go back to default.

Just flashed to the Latest BIOS, and someone on another forum suggested to Disable EIST, Intel Turbo boost, Enhanced Turbo Boost, C-States. I also just turned off automatic restarts in System Recovery Settings in Windows 10 to see if it jams up during a particular action.

I don't really use it anymore. It was something i had installed to monitor temps and fans whilst OCing. but never really delved into it. so it just sits there. Only started using it when this issue cam up to try and figure out if anything was spiking hard. CorsairLink causes instability? really? Didn't know that.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chevell65 PC Specs
    chevell65 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z370-H, ROG Maximus VII Z97
    ProcessorIntel 4790K 4.6GHz, Intel i5 8400, Intel e8600 Wolfdale, Intel Q9650 Yorkfield, Intel E6750 Conroe
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill PC3600
    Graphics Card #1GTX 660 OC
    MonitorAsus 23"
    CaseCorsair clear case
    Power SupplyThermaltake
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G9
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterDLink DIR-655, Asus AC88

Have you looked in the Windows event viewer under critical events? It should be showing the events leading up to the BSOD.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by chevell65 View Post
    Have you looked in the Windows event viewer under critical events? It should be showing the events leading up to the BSOD.
    I have and there is nothing directly preceding events. There is Power Shell Error entry for when windows logs back in but nothing about what caused it which is what makes me think it's probably a hardware issue.

ROG Enthusiast Array PipJones PC Specs
    PipJones PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i7-6850K @ 4500 CPU / 3900 Cache / AVX -2
    Memory (part number)CMK16GX4M4C3200C16
    Graphics Card #1nVidia GTX1080ti FE with EK W/C
    MonitorIiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU
    Storage #1256Gb Samsung NVMe (MZ-V5P256BW)
    Storage #24x HGST HTS721010A9E630 1TB 2.5" 7K1000 SATA 3 7200rpm (RAID 10)
    CPU CoolerCustom EK Loop
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Raptor K30 Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS Gaming Mouse
    OS Windows 10/64

Load optimised defaults ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyriall View Post
    Not Overclocking. Everything is pretty much default at the moment. Was running XMP profile for a bit of a boost from the RAM but a few to many failed POSTS made me go back to default.

Just flashed to the Latest BIOS, and someone on another forum suggested to Disable EIST, Intel Turbo boost, Enhanced Turbo Boost, C-States. I also just turned off automatic restarts in System Recovery Settings in Windows 10 to see if it jams up during a particular action.

I don't really use it anymore. It was something i had installed to monitor temps and fans whilst OCing. but never really delved into it. so it just sits there. Only started using it when this issue cam up to try and figure out if anything was spiking hard. CorsairLink causes instability? really? Didn't know that.
    Yes, Corsair Link can cause instability - especially when used with other monitoring software. I only use it to install the drivers so that other monitoring s/w can access link devices.

Apologies if this is telling you things you already know.

Stating the obvious, check all your connections (especially the 3x power connections to the MB) and make sure everything is seated correctly.

Stick to one piece of monitoring software. Delete / remove all others monitoring software. I would recommend SIV or AIDA. Beware, SIV has a learning curve.

If you're not overclocking, go into BIOS and load optimised defaults, save and exit. Retest.

If you're not stable, set your RAM timings to match the RAM that you've purchased - I would use the XMP settings. Retest.

If you're not stable, use only 1x stick of RAM. Retest.

If you're still not stable, post all screen shots of your BIOS.

ROG Enthusiast Array CMDRZOD PC Specs
    CMDRZOD PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processori7 6950x 4.3Ghz 1.3V
    Memory (part number)Gskill Trident 32GB 3200Mhz 13-13-13-32 1.35V
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080Ti Extreme Waterblock Edition +50 Core +625 GDDR5
    Graphics Card #2Aorus 1080Ti Extreme Waterblock Edition +50 Core +625 GDDR5
    Graphics Card #3Aorus HB SLI Bridge RGB
    Sound CardOnboard Realtek HD Audio
    MonitorUN65HU9000 4k TV with SEK-3500
    Storage #1RAID 0 4x 4TB Seagate Blue SSHD
    Storage #2Intel 750 PCIE 1.2TB NVME
    CPU CoolerEK Monoblock
    CaseCaseLabs Magnum M10 Doublewide
    Power SupplyCorsair 1500Axi
    Keyboard Wireless Microsoft 3000v2
    Mouse Wireless Microsoft 3000v2
    Headset Astro Gaming A50 wireless
    Mouse Pad Minecraft pad!
    Headset/Speakers Logitech 5.1 THX 300 watt using optical output
    OS Win 10 64 FCU
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC66U Merlin FW
    Accessory #1 Club3D DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active converter for TV
    Accessory #2 Phanteks PWM Fan Controller x2
    Accessory #3 Upgraded OC Front panel

Cool Try disabling all Spread spectrum options

Disabling all options in the BIOS for spread spectrum was what helped fix this issue for me. Theres a few different spots for this option, disable them all and try that as well.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by PipJones View Post
    I would recommend SIV or AIDA. Beware, SIV has a learning curve.
    wow SIV is awfully designed but packed full of great info. Will use thsi more now.

I'll Reset the bios to optimized defaults and see how it runs tomorrow. Then ill start disabling stuff again should there be a crash.. Hasnt crashed at all today since turning off the Automatic reboot and EIST settings as i said in my OP.