cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

960EVO Clean Win10 Install

fpollan
Level 8
Hi

Tomorrow I receive the Samsung 960EVO and I would like to find information, guide for the clean installation of the operating system in my Asus Hero VIII.
WIn 10 Creators is in boot USB now.

Thank you very much for the information.

a greeting
10 REPLIES 10

JustinThyme
Level 13
Not much to tell.
Put drive in, make sure its set up correctly in the BIOS for X4 and Gen 3. PCH set to AHCI if you are not going to use raid for anything else.
Boot from USB, install to your new SSD. No need to use Samsung drivers, default work just fine.
Make sure you have all of your drivers ready.
After OS is complete install chipset driver first followed by MEI. AFter that it doesnt really matter. I usually Do graphics then sound followed by everything else that is needed. Chipset followed by MEI is very important.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
No need to use Samsung drivers, default work just fine.

...just like the default Windows drivers for nVidia cards can be used, but shouldn't...

JustinThyme wrote:
Not much to tell.
Put drive in, make sure its set up correctly in the BIOS for X4 and Gen 3. PCH set to AHCI if you are not going to use raid for anything else.
Boot from USB, install to your new SSD. No need to use Samsung drivers, default work just fine.
After OS is complete install chipset driver first followed by MEI. AFter that it doesnt really matter. I usually Do graphics then sound followed by everything else that is needed. Chipset followed by MEI is very important.

Ok....Thank you very much!!!

JustinThyme wrote:
Not much to tell.

Hi I'm also interested in the same topic
Would you please provide slightly more details regarding the Bios setting you have mentioned above

Thanks for taking the time to reply

JustinThyme wrote:
Not much to tell.

You don't need to change settings in BIOS for x4 and Gen 3. It's all set automatically when Nvme drive is installed. OMG!

Default drivers for Samsung is not better than Nvme drivers from Seamsung. I don't know where you got your info from, but legacy Windows drivers for hardware have NEVER been better than manufacturers driver. NEVER! So go to Samsung support page and download the latest Nvme driver 2.2. Much better performance, and remember to get Samsung Magician software as well. Great software.

And MEI drivers from ASUS are not the latest. When you install Windows 10 you wil get the latest MEI driver. If you try to install MEI drivers from ASUS Windows will tell you that the installed driver are newer than the one you are trying to install..

Sometimes you have to do some research before giving poor advise.

emsir wrote:
You don't need to change settings in BIOS for x4 and Gen 3. It's all set automatically when Nvme drive is installed. OMG!

Default drivers for Samsung is not better than Nvme drivers from Seamsung. I don't know where you got your info from, but legacy Windows drivers for hardware have NEVER been better than manufacturers driver. NEVER! So go to Samsung support page and download the latest Nvme driver 2.2. Much better performance, and remember to get Samsung Magician software as well. Great software.

And MEI drivers from ASUS are not the latest. When you install Windows 10 you wil get the latest MEI driver. If you try to install MEI drivers from ASUS Windows will tell you that the installed driver are newer than the one you are trying to install..

Why are you always so Angry, my advise is always on point. If I dont know what Im talking about I sit back, shut up and learn. In this case I know exactly what I am talking about.

Some boards will install auto some will not. Its always best to set it up for gen 3 and X4 instead of relying on auto.

Where do I get my info on the Samsung drivers? Personal experience, repeated bench marks on 3 different platforms and the results of many others here and on OC.net. Ive posted the results here and elsewhere as have others. There is ZERO advantage to using Samsung drivers. And exactly what is great about the magician software?

The fact the most SSDs that ship OEM are Samsung and the fact that the Samsung drivers and software does not support their own OEM drives tells you everything you need to know. They only work on consumer drives and they 100% of the time will not work downstream of a raid controller.

If you go read what is posted on the intel website the MEI drivers are board specific. They state in English (don't know about other languages) that what they offer is a generic driver set and recommend to download your drivers from the manufacturer of your platform to ensure you have what has been modified by the manufacturer for your specific build. ME Firmware is divided into different skus and if you download the wrong one you have screwed the pooch.

Here is the lists of just consumer versions
Intel ME 11.7 Consumer PCH-H Firmware v11.7.x.xxxx
For XXX systems which come with ME firmware v11.7
Intel ME 11.7 Consumer PCH-LP Firmware v11.7.x.xxxx
For XXX systems which come with ME firmware v11.7
Intel ME 11.6 Consumer PCH-H Firmware v11.6.25.1229
For 100/200-series SKL/KBL-S and SKL/KBL-H systems which come with ME firmware v11.6
Intel ME 11.6 Consumer PCH-LP Firmware v11.6.25.1229
For 100/200-series SKL/KBL-U and SKL/KBL-Y systems which come with ME firmware v11.6
Intel ME 11.0 Consumer PCH-H Firmware v11.0.22.1000
For 100-series Skylake-S and Skylake-H systems which come with ME firmware v11.0
Intel ME 11.0 Consumer PCH-LP Firmware v11.0.18.1002
For 100-series Skylake-U and Skylake-Y systems which come with ME firmware v11.0
Intel ME 10.0 1.5MB Firmware v10.0.50.1004
For Broadwell mobile systems which come with ME firmware v10.0
Intel ME 10.0 Apple Mac 1.5MB Firmware v10.0.35.1012
For Apple Broadwell mobile systems which come with ME firmware v10.0
Intel ME 9.5 1.5MB Firmware v9.5.60.1952
For 8-series systems which come with ME firmware v9.5
Intel ME 9.5 Apple Mac 1.5MB Firmware v9.5.4.1856
For Apple 8-series systems which come with ME firmware v9.5.x
Intel ME 9.1 1.5MB Firmware v9.1.37.1002
For 8/9-series systems which come with ME firmware v9.1 *
Intel ME 9.0 1.5MB Firmware v9.0.31.1487
For 8-series systems which come with ME firmware v9.0
Intel ME 8 1.5MB Firmware v8.1.65.1586
For 7-series systems which come with ME firmware v8 **
Intel ME 7 1.5MB Firmware v7.1.80.1214
For 6-series systems which come with ME firmware v7
Intel ME 7 Apple Mac 1.5MB Firmware v7.0.1.1205
For Apple 6-series systems which come with ME firmware v7
Intel ME 6 1.5MB Firmware v6.2.50.1062
For 5-series (Ibex Peak) systems which come with ME firmware v6
Intel ME 6 Ignition Firmware v6.0.30.1199
For 5-series (Ibex Peak) systems which come with ME Ignition firmware v6
Intel ME 5 Base Consumer Firmware v5.2.0.1002
For ICH10D desktop systems which come with ME firmware v5
Intel ME 4 TPM Firmware v4.2.30.1040
For ICH9M mobile systems which come with ME firmware v4
Intel ME 3 QST Firmware v3.2.3.1037
For ICH9 desktop systems which come with ME firmware v3
Intel ME 2 QST Firmware v2.0.6.1125
For ICH8 desktop systems which come with ME firmware v2

So if you want to DL from Intel make sure you know which Platform and which firmware version is on your PCH controller. Make sure you choose the correct v11.x firmware SKU for your system which is based on target Platform and Feature set. There are 2 chipsets: PCH-H (Performance) and PCH-LP (Low Power). There are 4 cpu families: SKL/KBL-S, SKL/KBL-H, SKL/KBL-U and SKL/KBL-Y. The PCH-H chipset works with SKL/KBL-S & SKL/KBL-H processors and requires PCH-H (H) ME firmware. The PCH-LP chipset works with SKL/KBL-U & SKL/KBL-Y processors and requires PCH-LP (LP) ME firmware.

If you are confident that you can choose the right one....go for it. Or you can just download what is on the ASUS support page that is guaranteed to be correct and modified specifically for your board. The MEI for the Hero VIII was last updated 12/14/2016 to version 11.6.0.1032 which is the most current for that platform.

The BIOS settings Im refering to are found in the PCH section under the advanced tab of your BIOS and exact location varies board to board.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

emsir wrote:

I see Mr. know it all is up to his old ways.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

JustinThyme wrote:
Not much to tell.

Perfect Intall...Bios automatic configue (3410).
Verym very fast!!!....Thanks

Jagdseelen
Level 8
I make sure I have 1 driver ready before re installing windows and thats my network driver. If you have internet you can get the rest of the drivers as you need them. I normally put the network driver on my Windows 10 USB in its own folder.