Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

XG Station 2 - Strix 1080ti - PG279Q - Dell XPS 15 (9550) disconnecting issues

Hi there all,

I have been struggling to get the above setup to work consistently, but I can say when it does work it's amazing!

My 1080ti is connected to a PG279Q via Displayport.

My XG station seems to be disconnecting semi-randomly. It will be working one minute then disconnect suddenly crashing all tasks. The XG station will then either reconnect (having crashed all my GPU driven tasks), not reconnect but result in one of several driver errors in device manager or it will not reconnect and pretty much force me to hard reboot.

I have tried to troubleshoot myself, it seemed to be a power issue as my whole setup was plugged into a flimsy power strip. This seemed to fix it but today all issues returned in some variation.

It can happen at any time but seems to enjoy disconnecting when doing something graphically specific like opening Windows display settings or starting up a game. It's completely inconsistent though as these things work 75% of the time. It seems to have a particular hatred of EA's Origin and BF1 (can't say I blame it) but these things seem to fail more than work.

When removing the monitor from the equation and just using the laptop's display, the setup does seem stable but I do need to test this further to confirm.

Have any of the other XPS users on here had any similar problems or does anyone have any suggestions for tests I could run?

I feel like it's either the XG station or my laptop as the XG station was shipped from the UK to Taiwan over a week (though all packaging seemed fine) and the Dell XPS is unbelievably buggy.

Thanks in advance!

ROG Member Array

Fixed it

Ok I managed to resolve this.

I did a 'Fresh Start' in Windows 10s 'Device performance & health' screen (Start > enter "Fresh Start")

I then used Guru3D's Display Driver Uninstaller to wipe my NVIDIA display drivers.

Rebooted and reinstalled drivers with the XG Station connected (no monitor plugged in).

Disabled the XPS 15's 960m dGPU.

Reattached monitor via DP. Have had perfect stability all day, hope it stays that way (touch wood).

Hope this can help anyone else having issues!
    Last edited by desouk; 04-17-2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Issues returned

ROG Member Array

Issues returned

Correction: Issue was not resolved and returned. Upon further testing it seems that the setup is stable when using the laptops display but attaching an external monitor results in massive instability.

Any suggestions from ASUS?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

This thing is a joke. It appears to be so quirky and difficult to set up and just doesn't work how it should. Why have Asus released this product? It's just not ready and quite possibly never will be.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Moderator Array

Hi desouk,

A few places to check:
    1. Make sure you have updated your Thunderbolt driver to version 16.2.55.275 (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...6.2.55.275.zip) or later. This is essential as earlier versions do cause issues during frequent hot-plug.
    2. Make sure you have updated the notebook BIOS to the latest build available to ensure proper pre-allocation of system resources for Thunderbolt devices.
    3. Make sure you have updated your Intel HD graphics driver to the latest version available on Intel website as you are using Optimus enabled notebook. Older Intel HD driver may cause this type of problems.
    3. Make sure you have updated the notebook Thunderbolt 3 firmware to the latest build available.
    4. Make sure you have updated your Nvidia graphics driver to the latest build (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/117263).
    4. Make sure you have updated XG STATION firmware to v23 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga...483.1446513001) or later to allow host without external GPU support to work properly with XG STATION 2.
    5. The XG STATION 2 comes with dual 6+2 pin power for your graphics card. Please make sure you have connected all power inputs to your card without fail, otherwise the GPU will not work properly due to insufficient power input.

Come back and let us know if you have further issues.

regards,

Moderator Array

Hi BoutTime01,

So far with all the issues that has been reported on ROG forum, there is not one issue caused by the XG STATION 2. They are more toward driver/firmware/BIOS update on the host device. Please provide details of the failed configuration, and we will do our best to sort them out for you.

regards,

Quote Originally Posted by BoutTime01 View Post
    This thing is a joke. It appears to be so quirky and difficult to set up and just doesn't work how it should. Why have Asus released this product? It's just not ready and quite possibly never will be.

ROG Member Array

Success!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-OP View Post
    Hi BoutTime01,

So far with all the issues that has been reported on ROG forum, there is not one issue caused by the XG STATION 2. They are more toward driver/firmware/BIOS update on the host device. Please provide details of the failed configuration, and we will do our best to sort them out for you.

regards,
    I'm going to have to agree in this instance too. The XG station 2 has been working completely fine and the suggestions here actually helpful and relevant. I always suspected it was the laptop. The fact that ASUS has made something that's fairly compatible with other systems and not some proprietary connector rubbish is the reason I bought the XG Station 2 and will continue supporting companies that do this.

So I did manage to fix this but not sure what the actual solution was so will list all my changes here:

• I noticed if I pulled the Dell power adapter out of my laptop while the XG Station 2 was running, it would disconnect. This lead me to believe that this is some kind of power saving / fluctuation issue.
    • Changed the C13 power cable from a Taiwanese (US) type (max 240v 10a) cable to a British (240v 13a) one - doubt this made any difference.
    • Disabled C states and Intel Speedstep in the Dell Bios.
    • Edited my Windows power plan and disabled anything that reduced power anywhere in the system.
    • Stopped using the dell power adapter and run my laptop from the power provided via the Thunderbolt 3 connector. My laptop seems to think that this is only a 60w input instead of a 100w input. Can Asus let me know what the situation with this might be? Either way the power is sufficient to run the CPU at full load as the 960m never needs to run.

I could go back and start changing things to work out exactly what was happening but honestly I'm just happy to have it working. I want to say it's probably because I stopped using the dell AC adapter but I'm sure I tried this before with no fix.

If anyone has any guesses on which of these may have been the key to solving this I would be interested to know.

This has been running for over 24hours with no issues whatsoever and am extremely happy!

Now if ASUS can make a bezel-less ultrabook that can compete with the XPS...

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-OP View Post
    Hi BoutTime01,

regards,
    Hi ASUS-OP. I don't own an XG Station 2. I intended to buy one to partner my G752VT which has a GTX970 built in. But I cannot find any way to determine if the Thunderbolt 3 port/controller supports 40Gbit/s throughput. Some of the promotional material states upto 20 Gbit/s but some state 40 Gbit/s. Can you tell me how I can find this out as I'd previously assumed the limit of 20 was due to the fact that only passive cables were available at the the of release. I am running the latest Bios which apparently added support for dGPU.
    Because of my interest I've read pretty much everything available on the internet about the XG Station 2 and seen a few video reviews. But it seems to be very problematic. My first hurdle is the TB3 throughput. Can you help me with this?

Moderator Array

Hi BoutTime01,

The G752VT comes with GTX970m utilizing Nvidia Optimus Technology. According to the product page (https://www.asus.com/au/ROG-Republic...rs/ROG-G752VT/), its Thunderbol 3 has the link speed of up to 20Gbit/s. Hence yes, you will not get 100% of the performance of the XG STATION 2 on your notebook even if you made it working.

This platform is still quite young, which still requires a few tweaks from both Host (notebook/PAD/miniPC) and Client (XG-STATON 2 & GPU in it) to allow it to perform at its best. Unfortunately the suggested testing methods were not made available at the time of review, result in unexpected results in some cases.
    It's a shame this is already the case. However, we will do our best to serve you to make sure the user experience of our customers are at their best shape.

regards,

Quote Originally Posted by BoutTime01 View Post
    Hi ASUS-OP. I don't own an XG Station 2. I intended to buy one to partner my G752VT which has a GTX970 built in. But I cannot find any way to determine if the Thunderbolt 3 port/controller supports 40Gbit/s throughput. Some of the promotional material states upto 20 Gbit/s but some state 40 Gbit/s. Can you tell me how I can find this out as I'd previously assumed the limit of 20 was due to the fact that only passive cables were available at the the of release. I am running the latest Bios which apparently added support for dGPU.
    Because of my interest I've read pretty much everything available on the internet about the XG Station 2 and seen a few video reviews. But it seems to be very problematic. My first hurdle is the TB3 throughput. Can you help me with this?

Ex-employee Array

Hi desouk,

I have sent you a private message, please kindly see the private message and we can continue our discussion there.

Thanks,
    Bahz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast