cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom hiccup/stutter every few seconds during video or any movement

Allmachtige
Level 7
I'm starting to lose it mentally trying to chase down a phantom stutter I experience every few seconds in all games and during video streaming on Youtube. I can notice it clearly in first person games when strafing left or right or just walking past stationary objects. They will "jitter" or "hiccup" as though vsync is tearing, but I typically use Adaptive or Fast, plus with the 1080Ti I've never seen my frames drop below 60 in the games I test this with. Youtube videos are choppy in the sense where the trailer to Star Wars Episode 8 is somewhat skipping along when the camera is passing over the ocean near the beginning. So again, when anything is panning or moving by the hiccup happens every few seconds.

In some games it almost feels like my framerate is dropping during the issue, but it isn't.

My system is fairly newly built and I've even replaced the older pieces of hardware just in desperation, but I'm near my wit's end.

You will see my current build is listed, but either way this is what I've tried:

• Reinstalled Windows 10 x64
  • Swapped primary and secondary Samsung Pro drives as the system drive
  • Swapped which drive the Pagefile resides
  • Upgraded RAM
  • Upgraded Video from a pair of 770GTX's
  • Disabled onboard audio via BIOS
  • Disabled NIC in Device Manager while already loaded in a game
  • Upgraded and downgraded drivers for audio, NIC, chipset, SATA
  • Upgraded to latest BIOS 3401
  • Enabled onboard video for kicks
  • Swapped out for another brand Z170 (returned to store)
  • Swapped out the CPU for a 7700K (returned to store)

I can't think of anything I missed other than trying a different PSU, but its literally a brand new Corsair HX1000i I purchased back in November.

I think...granted this could be in my head....all started when I upgraded my BIOS months ago from a VERY old version the board came with, but even so I've upgraded again to 3401 so my ME version is the latest and greatest when I look in the BIOS.

Is there a driver I'm missing or is known to be corrupt?

DPC's are nothing crazy until I start playing a game, then LatencyMon says "you may experience some popping...[etc etc]". My pagefaults are high only due to CorsiarLink being a poorly coded program, but even if I close the program the issues still persist with stutter.

Other than throwing my arms up what can I do?
38 REPLIES 38

xeromist
You say you disabled the NIC. How are you connecting to your network when you do that? Or was that just a test in a stand-alone game?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You say you disabled the NIC. How are you connecting to your network when you do that? Or was that just a test in a stand-alone game?

I launched Doom in offline mode from Steam after disabling the NIC in Device Manager.

xeromist
Ah, I see. Yeah you've tried the things I'd try so I don't have anything new to offer other than my condolences. 😞 I'll think about it though.

On the Youtube front, have you tried different browsers and/or toggling hardware acceleration? They have different rendering engines so that may have an impact.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I actually tried a USB NIC today and no change.

I had a thought, is the 1080Ti requiring more than just a single 8-pin to a 2x 6+2 daisy chain cable for power? Would another dedicated cable to the other GPU power connector be required?

I'm highly doubting that as I even had this issue with the 770GTX setup.

PCI-E cables to the GPU do not make a difference.

xeizo
Level 12
Nvidia has had a pair of real cheesy drivers lately, the latest 381.89 do seem to work alright though, have you tried it(perform a clean install in Nvidias installer).

Also, do not use any of the Asus-programs that comes with the mobo, they create some problem or another almost all of them.

Laggy desktop of one kind or another is often caused by wrong memory settings, check your memory. Another thought is the power limits in the bios, open them up.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

xeizo wrote:
Nvidia has had a pair of real cheesy drivers lately, the latest 381.89 do seem to work alright though, have you tried it(perform a clean install in Nvidias installer).

Also, do not use any of the Asus-programs that comes with the mobo, they create some problem or another almost all of them.

Laggy desktop of one kind or another is often caused by wrong memory settings, check your memory. Another thought is the power limits in the bios, open them up.

Yeah I'm with you on the Asus software as I removed all of it except for the Aura Sync software for the LEDs on the board. I notice some services remain on my list of services.msc, so I disabled what I assumed is no longer needed.

I might try another clean install of the Nvidia drivers using DDU again, but I installed 381.89 a few days ago.

The memory is just set to the standard XMP profile: 3000mhz @ 1.35v. I've tried reverting the BIOS to defaults, but that doesn't have an effect.

What do you mean by the power limited in the BIOS though? Which are you referring to? C-states? I didn't touch those. My O/C is currently 4.6ghz @ 1.311v, 41 max cache/8 minimum, Spread Spectrum Disabled, Load Level 5, and none of the ASUS optimization toggles.

xeizo
Level 12
I mean max power draw settings for cpu and memory in tweakers paradise if i remember right, they can be up to 140% and 130% respectively.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

Found those settings, no change.

What are the symptoms of a bad PSU? I'm just hard pressed to think a brand new HX1000i could fail after a few months.

I'm almost wanting to try a 120Hz monitor out of desperation.