cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GFX72VM GPU Perf Limiter is always on UTILIZATION

Delosari
Level 7
I bought a few months ago a GFX72VM which is working very well for me, however, after I performed a clean installed I noticed that the gaming center (1.0.12) always has the GPU Perf Limiter Utilization.

Prior to that, every time I paused a game and checked the gaming centre I could see the label change.

The computer is much quieter now during standard tasks but I think it heats more during games: On wow using the nvidia experience configuration it reaches temperatures between 80-90 ºC . Funny thing, when I go into the desktop to check the gaming center the fans kick in immediately and it starts to cool very fast.

I performed a window factory reset which effectively erased all the partitions previous data so I cannot confirm which software I had before.

Thank you for any advice.
6 REPLIES 6

BoutTime01
Level 7
To be honest it's pretty much what you should see from my understanding. It basically means the GPU is downclocking because the GPU isn't being utilised. Run the sensor screen in GPU-Z and set each value to 'max'. Then whilst keeping GPU-Z running start playing a game for 5 minutes. Then close the game and look at GPU-Z. It will show you the maximum GPU usage and click speeds during the gaming session so you can see the GPU utilisation. Additionally you can move your mouse over the 'PerfCap Reason' timeline to see if it is throttled for any reason other than utilisation. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the advice. I had not heard about this tool.

I did what you said this is during light load:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jr8uz7wdz7msf72/light_load.png?dl=0

And this is after playing... more than 5 minutes I am afraid :D...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktuifdr4qcrfg92/heavy_load.PNG?dl=0

I saved a log and I during perf utilization it is either on 16 (basic load) and during gaming it goes to 1 sometimes. I think these are the codes meaning:

/*!
* Power. Indicating perf is limited by total power limit.
*/
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_POWER = 1,
/*!
* Utilization. Indicating perf is limited by GPU utilization.
*/
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_UTILIZATION = 16,

Do you think this is right?

BoutTime01
Level 7
I'm moving house today so won't get time time for a few days to check my G752VT but you GPU temps get very high. Have you overclocked your GPU?

Pretty sure the Power perf limit means you've reached your power target. But looking at the sensor screen yr click speeds and GPU load all take a dive at one point but don't seem to show a corresponding change in the Per Limiter.

BoutTime01 wrote:
I'm moving house today so won't get time time for a few days to check my G752VT but you GPU temps get very high. Have you overclocked your GPU?

Pretty sure the Power perf limit means you've reached your power target. But looking at the sensor screen yr click speeds and GPU load all take a dive at one point but don't seem to show a corresponding change in the Per Limiter.

No I have not overclocked... Not sure how it is done...

When I cleaned installed I tried installing different game center and turbo gear but I went back to the one in the default page: (1.0.12) and (1.0.2 well it says 1.0.3 but the file is 1.0.2)

More information: I have installed Speedfan and I see the same behaviour but the speed fans are the 1800 in standby and 3300 (RPM) during gaming. What do you think? Is that right?

P.S. You helping me with my laptop I feel bad I can not help you moving...

BoutTime01
Level 7
Click means clock. Bloody predictive text!