cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combo Audio Jack in GL502 Problem, Headset not Working??

User_n
Level 7
Hi,
I am unsure where to put this, but i believe i am in the right place.
The thing is I cannot get my headset working, e.g. headphones with mic for gaming.
Headset has 2 jacks, one for mic and another one for the speaker, and since our laptop has only one, I've used Y splitter and both ends from headset are jacked in the that Y splitter and further Y splitter is connected into the laptop combo jack. Y splitter male end is 3 rings (4 poles).
Now, when I connect the splitter, I get a pop up from relatek asking me what have I plugged in:
1) Mic
2) Headphones
3) Speakers
Whatever I select I cannot get my headset working.

I've seen some threads on the Tom's hardware forums, some laptops has a realtek drivers which has one more option in addition to the 3 stated above, and that one is for the headset, and apparently they good to go.
I have not seen this option, does anyone else has similar issue??
G75vx, win7 ultimate x64, OS drive - Kingston V300 SSD 120 GB...
12 REPLIES 12

U2Desire
Level 7
I think your best bet is to get a bluetooth headset with mic because I think the single jack is an either/or it can either be used for mic or headset or probably also line out but not any combination. You could also get a usb usb headset with mic like http://www.staples.ca/en/Microsoft-LifeChat-LX-3000-Headset/product_1485083_2-CA_1_20001

User_n
Level 7
Thanks for you answer, there is solution I found, mini adapter USB sound card where you can plug both jacks.
Anyway this fail from ASUS is really frustrating, I cannot believe that they did not include option for a jacked headset on a gaming rig of this caliber. Even the simplest of the smartphones has a feature where you plug in headset for, in this case, talking and listening at the same time.
This rig is meant for gaming and one would expect that there are all this things by default.

xeromist
A normal splitter won't work if both female outputs are TRRS(4 poles as you say). The stereo plugs on your headset won't match up with TRRS. You need an adapter that has a male TRRS jack and has separate stereo headphone and microphone female connections. You should be able to identify such an adapter because the two female jacks will be labeled for mic and headphone.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

User_n
Level 7
Xeromist, thanks,
I was aware of this also, so I purposely bought splitter same as the one you described, color labeled (green, pink) female jacks and 4 pole male jack.
I am still unable to get it working.
e.g.
My wifes lap has a small icon close to audio jack, which you can clearly identify as a headset (ours is not) and difference is, once I plug it in it works.

I know, I might be doing something wrong here as apparently no one else is having this issue but me, or people just use usb and/or BT headsets.
I think best for me is buy this 5 euro USB sound card and go ahead with that.
Thanks once again.

xeromist
Hrmm. Well, unfortunately there are a couple of different standards for TRRS and it looks like the adapter you bought is different than ASUS uses. Of course the USB adapter will also work just fine and you can use it with any other computer in the future so it's not a bad option.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Eleiyas
Level 10
I use a headset with a built-in microphone (which can be unplugged) and plug the single cord jack into the external jack of the unit and I have never had a problem with it, especially on the gaming series of notebooks.

are you sure you need the splitter at all?

Eleiyas
Level 10
I use a headset with a built-in microphone (which can be unplugged) and plug the single cord jack into the external jack of the unit and I have never had a problem with it, especially on the gaming series of notebooks.

are you sure you need the splitter at all?

U2Desire
Level 7
So what standard does ASUS use on this laptop use? I think I am gonna order one.

U2Desire wrote:
So what standard does ASUS use on this laptop use? I think I am gonna order one.

Unfortunately I do not know that. I doubt it's in the manual but you could check. Easy answer is it's the opposite of the first one you bought.

I think you should be able to test it though. I did this with an unlabeled TRRS media jack in my car to figure out which standard I needed.
If you look at the order of the rings in the picture I posted the ground is the key. If you have no ground connection nothing will work. So pull the plug out slightly so that the 3rd ring makes contact. If you have a CTIA plug in a OMTP female jack the ground will be connected and one channel so you will hear audio in one ear. If you have an OMTP plug in a female CTIA jack then backing the plug out does nothing because the ground will never connect.