cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm OC'ing a I5-4690K + ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII RANGER. Need Help.

laam3
Level 7
Hey Nate152 I'm ready for you to help me overclock my cpu. :cool:

My system specs:

MOTHERBOARD: Asus Maximus VII Ranger
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590K
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GTX 1080 GAMING X
RAM: x2 G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ RipJawsX
CPU COOLER: Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev A BW
PSU: Corsair RM750X

RealBench:

HWiNFO:

Thanks in advance for the help!!

I also have AIDA64 EXTREME if you need more stats!
33 REPLIES 33

Nate152
Hi laam3

Welcome to the ROG forum, you came to the right place to overclock your cpu, before we get to yours I'd like to share mine with you.

Start on page 9 which I have it. 🙂

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92094-Maximus-IX-Code-A-little-insight/page9

Your temps look very good and I saw you have another thread with 4.5GHz with a very low 1.280v or there about. Run the Realbench benchmark with those settings and post a screenshot of Hwinfo when it has completed. What you want to pay attention to is the core clock , the temps and the Vcore which I have circled in red.

Do you have the i5-4690k ?

Yes I do have the i5-4690k
Here are the results. For some reason the score I got was lower, is that normal? I'll try another test.

Made a secondary test stil lower than the original. Both @ 45 ratio and 1.21 vcore

Nate152
Hmmm yeah that's strange you'd get a lower score but no worry you're stable at those settings.

You can take benchmarking temps up to 90c so you still have plenty of headroom if you want to go higher, I'm sure you know what you're doing overclocking to 4.5GHz. 🙂

If you want to try for 4.6GHz, increase the voltage enough to where it passes the benchmark and post me a screen shot of HWinfo again, I'll be wanting to see the core clock, core temps which you have shown and the Vcore. Make HWInfo full screen then take a screen shot.

That looks great what you have already !

Is there anything I should be wary about? I think I'm fine with the 4.5 for now... Should I monitor everything for the next days?

Nate152
Yes play some games, you can take gaming temps up to 75c.

You can reset HWinfo by clicking the clock on the bottom right hand side of the page, let it run while you play some games then take a look at the maximum temp column and let me know what they are. I'm sure they're fine with a max temp of 70c in the Relbench benchmark and will say you have room to overclock more.

Or you can let it at 4.5GHz and be happy with nice low temps. 🙂

Alright, will do! Thank you again for the assist. I was expecting this to take longer but I guess what i had read on the other topic where you helped a similar setup as mine was enough to learn the basics / get me started

By the way.. Should I be using core voltage fixed or an offset ?

Nate152
Yeah it's not difficult and you did very good, just don't ever go over 1.52v or 90c with benchmarks, 75c with games and you shouldn't have any problems.

This is Intels maximums for your cpu.

If you set the windows power plan to balanced the vcore and speed should throttle at idle if that's what you want, if using a fixed voltage only the speed will throttle.

If it doesn't throttle the voltage switching the power plan to balanced switch to adaptive mode and enter 1.21v in the "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage Override".