cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M2 + Normal SSD + HDD

LionAlonso
Level 7
Hi all:
I have a normal SATA SSD, and also a HDD.
I have been thinking of buying an M2, to have Windows and other few things.
Does this motherboard support having the 3 of them, an M2, SSD and HDD?.
Also, this one: https://www.pccomponentes.com/kingston-m2-sata-ssd-120gb actually Works with Maximus hero VIII?
And the last thing, i have right now Windows installed in SSD, if i buy it, its plug and play ( i mean, i can install Windows in M2) or i have to change things in BIOS?
Is there anyway to copy my ssd things into the M2?

Thanks for the attention!
13 REPLIES 13

Chino
Level 15
Yes, they will work fine. I would recommend you disconnect your SSD/HDD during your Windows installation on your M.2 drive.

Also don't forget to format the SSD with the previous Windows installation on it so it doesn't cause boot problems for you.

Ok ty very much, i know u are spanish as me, but i will talk in english.
Is there anyway of duplicate my ssd to my m2?
I have read that i loose some pci ports or sth like that, i wont loose my graphic card nor my ssd or hdd for sure?
i dont know how to touch that things very well ( im talking about disconecting the SSD and HDD) but i will try.
Also i dont have to put some things in the BIOS? i think i have read it.
Ty for the time spended here man!

LionAlonso wrote:
Ok ty very much, i know u are spanish as me, but i will talk in english.
Is there anyway of duplicate my ssd to my m2?
I have read that i loose some pci ports or sth like that, i wont loose my graphic card nor my ssd or hdd for sure?
i dont know how to touch that things very well ( im talking about disconecting the SSD and HDD) but i will try.
Also i dont have to put some things in the BIOS? i think i have read it.
Ty for the time spended here man!

When the M.2 Socket is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled. And since the Kingston M.2 SATA SSD 120GB that you listed is a M.2 SATA SSD, you won't be able to use the SATA port 1 for your SSD & HDD. That's the only limitation. Your PCIe lanes won't be affected.

Chino wrote:
Yes, they will work fine. I would recommend you disconnect your SSD/HDD during your Windows installation on your M.2 drive.

Also don't forget to format the SSD with the previous Windows installation on it so it doesn't cause boot problems for you.

Ok i,ve just read your m2 guide, nice one btw.
In the m2 of the link, i will need to install the UEFI one? i didnt understand that part quite much.
And also, i need to do what u did on the BIOS in the maxuimus hero VIII?
Also, in this one, whats better?
https://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair-mp500-m2-ssd-120gb
Is there any difference?

LionAlonso wrote:
Ok i,ve just read your m2 guide, nice one btw.
In the m2 of the link, i will need to install the UEFI one? i didnt understand that part quite much.
And also, i need to do what u did on the BIOS in the maxuimus hero VIII?
Also, in this one, whats better?
https://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair-mp500-m2-ssd-120gb
Is there any difference?

Yes, install Windows in UEFI mode.

The Corsair MP500 M.2 SSD 120GB is a lot faster than the Kingston model.

Chino wrote:
Yes, install Windows in UEFI mode.

The Corsair MP500 M.2 SSD 120GB is a lot faster than the Kingston model.

And if i buy the corsair one, which is NVMe, ill still can use the sata ports?

triffid
Level 7
Do not be silly and use this excellent opportunity to do a new clean install on the M.2 disc. That is exactly what I did last month.
Disconnect everything and then you do not need to set anything in BIOS, Win 10 will install on the M.2 automatically.
And yes, you can have several more HDDs if you need. Check the manual which SATA ports become disabled (if any) after inserting M.2.

I have Windows 10 Pro with a key of my university, idk if i may loose that in a clean install.
But yeah i may think about it, could be good.
ty for the answer