cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naked CPU?

Klute_Onren
Level 9
Just wanted to get thought's on deliding a cpu and leaving off the IHS. I know this isn't recommended but I'm still going to do it unless thing's have changed in the past 15 year's. My first custom built rig was an Athlon XP-m 2800+ and it had no IHS so I have experience handling a naked die. Just thought I'd throw this out there incase anyone has a really strong argument.

Another talking point: Should I go with gallium on naked die or arctic silver? I'm leaning towards gallium but I'm worried there will be no room for error or potential for an air gap.
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
Which chip? Ryzen chips are soldered so from what I've seen so far there is zero benefit. Intel chips are still pasted but components have gotten smaller and more delicate, also closer to the edge of the IHS. It's possible but it's extremely easy to nick something important compared to days gone by. If you want to do it you should probably get a delidding tool.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

7700k is the chip and I'm not worried about deliding it, just not certain about if I should put the IHS back on when installing it. I have a tool in the mail, should be here next week.

Nate152
Hi Klute_Onren

I just delidded my i7-7700k and it's definitely worth while, I would however suggest putting the IHS back on. A guy over at Hardcop tested with the IHS on and naked and there was only a 3c difference and as xeromist says you have a good chance of damaging the die.

If you haven't seen the Maximus IX Code thread lately start here on page 9, I give a few tips for delidding your cpu.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92094-Maximus-IX-Code-A-little-insight/page9

I'm interested to see your results after you delid yours. 🙂

I used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut between the IHS and die.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Klute_Onren wrote:
Just wanted to get thought's on deliding a cpu and leaving off the IHS. I know this isn't recommended but I'm still going to do it unless thing's have changed in the past 15 year's. My first custom built rig was an Athlon XP-m 2800+ and it had no IHS so I have experience handling a naked die. Just thought I'd throw this out there incase anyone has a really strong argument.

Another talking point: Should I go with gallium on naked die or arctic silver? I'm leaning towards gallium but I'm worried there will be no room for error or potential for an air gap.

Things have changed in the past 15 years, dramatically. I too in the past snatched off the IHS and left it off. Problem now is the wafers are so thin you risk cracking the substrate. Same reason you have to be very careful delidding, they are fragile! With the IHS off you would also have to find a different clamping method as the clamps rely on the IHS to hold the CPU in place and by design spead that force out. Without the IHS all of the force is going down on your die in the center where nothing is under it and will cause the edges to bow up and possibly bend pins or in the least outer pins wont make good contact.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Things have changed in the past 15 years, dramatically. I too in the past snatched off the IHS and left it off. Problem now is the wafers are so thin you risk cracking the substrate. Same reason you have to be very careful delidding, they are fragile! With the IHS off you would also have to find a different clamping method as the clamps rely on the IHS to hold the CPU in place and by design spead that force out. Without the IHS all of the force is going down on your die in the center where nothing is under it and will cause the edges to bow up and possibly bend pins or in the least outer pins wont make good contact.

ohhhhhhh crap, wish I had read this first. System won't boot right now and I didn't think about the IHS holding the cpu in. Welp time to take it back apart and hope for the best. Hopefully at worst I broke the cpu which is still horrible. Fingers crossed!

While it's draining and I look at this IHS I am 99% certain that I toasted my cpu, I didn't realize how thick it is so the pcb is probably held down but the die isn't touching the cpu block. I'm almost positive this is the situation. CRAAAAP!

yep, not a drop of TIM on the cpu block and the pcb is held in place. Seriously doubt theres any kind of thermal limit that can handle no sink of any kind. Welp that's what I get for bein impatient.

I understand why it is advisable to put the IHS back on.
But do you "glue" it back? if yes what do you glue it with? if no, how can it be held in place?
Thanks