cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Dream Build

Elite_ROG
Level 7
So here is the deal. I am currently saving for my dream build. I have $4k already saved and should have the rest (total of $9,000) in 2 months. I have most of the parts picked, but wondering if you guys have any ideas to better the build. Here is a current parts list.

Asus PG27UQ monitor (waiting for release) It's 27" 4K, HDR, Quantum Dot, GSync
InWin 509 ROG Edition Case (black and red)
Maximus IX Extreme MoBo
Intel i7 7700K CPU
(x2) GTX 1080Ti Poseidon (waiting for release) or maybe just use some 1080Ti founders with custom waterblocks
32GB Corsair ROG memory SKU - CMD32GX4M4C3200C16-ROG
RAIDR 240GB PCIE SSD (I know about NVMe but i like this aesthetic of the RAIDR)
Corsair AX1500i PSU for low-db fan-less gaming
ROG Spatha mouse with Sheath mousepad
Claymore core with Cherry MX red switches and Cherry blue 2mm o-rings
Asus ROG Centurion 7.1 headset (((( already ordered from UK because they aren't for sale in USA ):< )))

...as for water cooling...
Alphacool Lighttower 250mm Res
Alphacool VP655 pump
(x2) Alphacool NeXXoS ST30 360 radiators
(x1) Alphacool NeXXoS XT45 140 radiator
Corsair SP120 and 140 Fans all with low speed adapters
Alphacool copper compression fittings
Primoflex 10mm to 16mm flexable tubing (3/8" to 5/8")

aaaaaand maybe a Logitech Z906 5.1 sound system for movies.

But yeah. The build will begin in July. I am open to ideas about possibly switching parts (aside from the RAIDR... that's staying) so feel free to give me your input! 😮
12 REPLIES 12

Chino wrote:
If this is just for gaming, it will be an awesome build! 🙂

It is just for gaming and maybe streaming. Thanks for your comment! 😄

Nice build, very exciting.

Watch out for the Dominators, they're so tall. Looks like you have multiple radiators going in, so caution on the small radiator if you put it on the back side of the case so that the Dominator heights don't interfere with it. I had that potential issue on my build, which is why I didn't buy the Dominators. I used the Corsair Vengeance LPX instead, which has the same performance with a much smaller height profile. Still look good in red too.

Why limit to 32GB RAM if money is apparently no issue on your build? Your system looks expandable to 64GB. It's only money. 🙂

You should be able to make that computer an icycle with all that cooling. Processor power is around 90W and with the hybrid cooling on your video, yeah you got it covered. I use one of Intel's extreme processors which is 140W or so and only use an H80 cooler (does fine).
Davemon50

I just built my new "elegant beast" last weekend. We must share the same taste in cases. I also used a In Win 509 ROG Edition. I love the case because it gives you many different configurations options. However, I went a different direction with my build.

I went with the ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 and a I7 6850K CPU. I also went with an AIO (NZXT Kraken 62). I used G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM and those sticks, while surrounding the NZXT waterblock are the visual highlight of the build. The Rampage included DAC fits into the external optical bay nicely and provides exceptional sound quality.

I went with the ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC edition and it is a beast of a GPU. Enough said.

I tied in the In WIn 509 RGB with my RGB LED strips with a Silverstone SST-LSB01 RGB Hub. It worked flawlessly, but you may need to get some male-to-male LED strip adapters.

I went with the In Win 900c power supply, because it really matches the build and interesting enough the LOGO fades in and out when my bottom LED strip transitions from the reddish spectrum into the bluish.

I have mine configured with the radiator mounted on the front and used 2 Corsair ML140s mounted on the center mount. I removed the bottom HDD cage and mounted a ML140 there. This gave me a "bending" effect on air flow across the GPU. Fresh Air coming from the bottom was pushed or "bent" by the lower ML140 on the center mount. I verified this effect when I "smoked" test the system. There is another ML140 on the back. I had to play with the fan curves to get a slightly positive air flow.

I can honestly say that I am extremely happy with how it turned out.

I have only few gripes with the 509 ROG case.

1. The side vent does not have a filter like the front and bottom and is designed for exhaust only. Since I didn't use it, I have it blocked off.

2. You cannot top mount a radiator. There are no vents, but instead a couple of HDD bays. I am using these for my 2TB SSD and 5TB HDD. I am using a m.2 1TB for my boot disk.

3. The wiring management could have been .5 to 1 inch deeper.

BTW, I have my system OC'd and temps have been real good even with pushing it hard. Just messing around the system it is virtually silent.

I'm looking forward to see how your's turns out with the custom water cooling.

IT_Grandpa wrote:

As soon as I get started, I'll post pictures here of the progress. Still sourcing the parts as of now. Can't seem to find someone selling the RAIDR who can ship now. Amazon has a 2 month waiting period. -_- Now to mention I still need 2 more months to get the rest of the funds. It will come tho... the day will come. 🙂

IT_Grandpa wrote:

As soon as I get started, I'll post pictures here of the progress. Still sourcing the parts as of now. Can't seem to find someone selling the RAIDR who can ship now. Amazon has a 2 month waiting period. -_- Not to mention I still need 2 more months to get the rest of the funds. It will come tho... the day will come. 🙂

IT_Grandpa wrote:
I just built my new "elegant beast" last weekend. We must share the same taste in cases. I also used a In Win 509 ROG Edition. I love the case because it gives you many different configurations options. However, I went a different direction with my build.

I went with the ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 and a I7 6850K CPU. I also went with an AIO (NZXT Kraken 62). I used G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM and those sticks, while surrounding the NZXT waterblock are the visual highlight of the build. The Rampage included DAC fits into the external optical bay nicely and provides exceptional sound quality.

I went with the ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC edition and it is a beast of a GPU. Enough said.

I tied in the In WIn 509 RGB with my RGB LED strips with a Silverstone SST-LSB01 RGB Hub. It worked flawlessly, but you may need to get some male-to-male LED strip adapters.

I went with the In Win 900c power supply, because it really matches the build and interesting enough the LOGO fades in and out when my bottom LED strip transitions from the reddish spectrum into the bluish.

I have mine configured with the radiator mounted on the front and used 2 Corsair ML140s mounted on the center mount. I removed the bottom HDD cage and mounted a ML140 there. This gave me a "bending" effect on air flow across the GPU. Fresh Air coming from the bottom was pushed or "bent" by the lower ML140 on the center mount. I verified this effect when I "smoked" test the system. There is another ML140 on the back. I had to play with the fan curves to get a slightly positive air flow.

I can honestly say that I am extremely happy with how it turned out.

I have only few gripes with the 509 ROG case.

1. The side vent does not have a filter like the front and bottom and is designed for exhaust only. Since I didn't use it, I have it blocked off.

2. You cannot top mount a radiator. There are no vents, but instead a couple of HDD bays. I am using these for my 2TB SSD and 5TB HDD. I am using a m.2 1TB for my boot disk.

3. The wiring management could have been .5 to 1 inch deeper.

BTW, I have my system OC'd and temps have been real good even with pushing it hard. Just messing around the system it is virtually silent.

Thanks for sharing your build, it looks good. 🙂 I was considering building with the max 8 extreme in a corsair 750D, but it lost the ROG touch. I have had a mid grade pc in the past, but always dreamed of a completely ROG parted monster.

Yours gives me a few ideas about the the lighting tho. Maybe I can I cooperate some kind of aura sync strip around the inside, but hidden from view with a low voltage adapter to have a faint glow. (:< That said, I like how yours looks!

davemon50 wrote:
Nice build, very exciting.

Watch out for the Dominators, they're so tall. Looks like you have multiple radiators going in, so caution on the small radiator if you put it on the back side of the case so that the Dominator heights don't interfere with it. I had that potential issue on my build, which is why I didn't buy the Dominators. I used the Corsair Vengeance LPX instead, which has the same performance with a much smaller height profile. Still look good in red too.

Why limit to 32GB RAM if money is apparently no issue on your build? Your system looks expandable to 64GB. It's only money. 🙂

You should be able to make that computer an icycle with all that cooling. Processor power is around 90W and with the hybrid cooling on your video, yeah you got it covered. I use one of Intel's extreme processors which is 140W or so and only use an H80 cooler (does fine).

I am not worried about the ram height because it is opposite of the rear grille with the MIXE MoBo. Also with the cpu water block it will not interfere with the dominator ram. To answer your question as to why only 32GB of ram is because this is a ROG themed build. The paticular ram i chose is ROG certified... and with 4 dimms the highest memory amount available is 32GB. I know i can go higher to 64, but then it wont have the ROG certified sticker on the ram. Its the little things. ^_^

I may sound like a picky *******, but I am working 10-12 hour days for months saving up for my dream PC... and I want it to be special. 😄