cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1106 BIOS RETRACTED. DO NOT TRY FLASHING OR FINDING BIOS v1106!

sphinx64
Level 7
Although there is no official announcement made, as of this morning bios v1106 is retracted from official ASUS downloads.

Regards
8 REPLIES 8

Korth
Level 14
I wouldn't expect any official announcements.

ASUS is frustratingly terse and taciturn with documentation on their firmware/driver revisions. "Improves system stability" or "Improves performance" or "Support for new hardware" are typically the only details we're given.

And ASUS sometimes (quietly) removes things which are unreliable or redundant. BIOS 1106 was buggy, seemingly still in BETA and lacking stability on x64 and hardly the sort of thing ASUS would want to encourage people to install (unless they intend to damage trust in the ROG brand or create an onslaught of angry support/RMA tickets).

I think the "ethical" thing to do is retract the bad version, don't permit any more downloads, but leave the entry on the list (along with some sort of comment saying "Unstable BIOS, no longer supported" or whatever).

The next BIOS will properly succeed (or entirely abandon) everything that BIOS 1106 failed to accomplish. It's how ASUS operates, especially when their "flagship" products face serious competition.

All that being said - why the emphatically stern warning "DO NOT TRY FLASHING OR FINDING BIOS v1106!" about something that (so far) ASUS has declined to offer any comment about?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I wouldn't expect any official announcements.

ASUS is frustratingly terse and taciturn with documentation on their firmware/driver revisions. "Improves system stability" or "Improves performance" or "Support for new hardware" are typically the only details we're given.

And ASUS sometimes (quietly) removes things which are unreliable or redundant. BIOS 1106 was buggy, seemingly still in BETA and lacking stability on x64 and hardly the sort of thing ASUS would want to encourage people to install (unless they intend to damage trust in the ROG brand or create an onslaught of angry support/RMA tickets).

I think the "ethical" thing to do is retract the bad version, don't permit any more downloads, but leave the entry on the list (along with some sort of comment saying "Unstable BIOS, no longer supported" or whatever).

The next BIOS will properly succeed (or entirely abandon) everything that BIOS 1106 failed to accomplish. It's how ASUS operates, especially when their "flagship" products face serious competition.

All that being said - why the emphatically stern warning "DO NOT TRY FLASHING OR FINDING BIOS v1106!" about something that (so far) ASUS has declined to offer any comment about?

Hi mate,

First of all, I am no longer an ASUS forum moderator, though I used to be in the past I no longer withheld ties with ASUS. I just wanted to prevent people from doing the wrong thing in the first place. I am sure there are people out there who got their hands on this bios version and flashing, re-flashing as of this writing. If we think that we have a shred of knowledge to share with new comers or new builders or newbies, then we are obliged to direct people in the right direction to prevent any further mistakes.

Regards.

Big_Gray
Level 8
sphinx64 wrote:
Although there is no official announcement made, as of this morning bios v1106 is retracted from official ASUS downloads.

Regards

Oh no it's not!

I have just downloaded it (again).

I flashed it yesterday. It seems to have cured the cold boot problem i was getting after making changes to memory settings. Also seems to POST faster and I now have a solid 2666. That will satisfy my needs for the present.

Thanks Asus.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Then just say the BIOS has been pulled and is not recommended for flashing. Your post reads like a tabloid headline...I imagine imminent death should you even try to find it :rolleyes:

Someone downloaded BIOS 1106...that's when the murders began...

Seems the BIOS simply did not work...i.e. system remained at stock...

1107 is latest beta http://www.mediafire.com/file/3o3n5zdrx291lbf/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1107.zip

BETA!...for those that want to try a beta BIOS

Well, I loved the "Tabloid" headline. A little drama adds spice.

Sadly I had already done 1106, birthed several kittens, and flashed back. Waiting this time for 1107 to sort out.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

Celty2
Level 7
sphinx64 wrote:

Regards

I am now using 1107, and finding it to work very well for me.

Celty2 wrote:
I am now using 1107, and finding it to work very well for me.

Decided to try it. Getting full speed on my ram (3200 mhz on Corsair Dominator Platinum) using a 2666 mhz profile and a 120 Bclk and alls well. Had to load 0081 to get that before. Much better than 1106. My 1700 won't go past 3900 on a bet so that's unchanged but I'll take all the memory speed I can get. Also set the ProcODT to 68 ohms or so to get the best results. I was using 80 but for some reason it's not working as well.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

Seeing any temperature change with 1107? I gained 14 degrees on 1106, and decided to roll back before I ever saw any other issues.