cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Formula / G.Skill (2 x 8GB F4-3600C16D-16GTZ) issue! (SOLVED)

JumpinSpider
Level 7
Hi everybody!

My components:

ROG MAXIMUS IX FORMULA
Intel Core i7 7700K 4x 4.20GHz So.1151 WOF
16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit (2 x 8GB F4-3600C16D-16GTZ)
Samsung 960 EVO 512GB M.2 SSDs (at M.2-2 PCIe x4 mode)
GeForce GTX 1070 Strixx OC Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (not jet connected - I use internal graphics card while testing)

I've a problem running the RAMs in dual mode and 3600. (actually they are at 2133)
They only run at sockets B1/B2 ... I've tried every other combination - even if I turn on XMP mode in UEFI.
If I use only one bar it runs at A2 and B2!

BIOS Firmware 0906 (updated by USB-Stick)
MemOK Button already tried - same issue.

Can anybody please tell me what I have to do to make the RAMs run in dual mode (sockets A2/B2 or A1/B1) and
how can I activate the high perfomance (3600)?

Guess I have to switch some parameters in UEFI but where, which ones and which value... ???
2b||!2b that's the question...
15 REPLIES 15

Nate152
Hi JumpinSpider

Try installing both sticks in slots A2 B2 then clear the cmos and try booting.

Let's see if you can boot with both sticks before trying 3600MHz.

Darren_Stevens
Level 9
First make sure Win 10 is installed in 64-bit, The DIMM sockets you need to use are A2 & B2, test each stick individually in the DIMM A2 sccket, if system boots into bios or OS both times sticks are good, leave XMP off for now & the speed @ auto, load optimised defaults in bios F5 save changes & reboot, after reboot shut down & install sticks into DIMM sockets A2 & B2, if successfull boot acheaved then start over clocking your Ram buy turning on XMP, check the the voltage is running at the advertised voltage on your Ram & start with lower speeds say 2400 & work your way up & see what your system likes & how far it will go.

Thank you for the answers!

Once again I tried both sticks in slot A1 and A2 ... same issue: "CC" and after a while "55".
Then I tried two other sticks (Vengeance 2133) ... same issue.

It seams like slots A1/A2 are disabled ... is that possible (eventually BIOS settings)?

Now I'll try to flash 0906 BIOS again - perhaps there was a failure at the first time.
Hmmm ... perhaps I should try an older BIOS, too?
After that I'll replace the tower cooler (Dark Rock 3), to exclude a pressure problem.

If there are other clues or ideas or possibilitys ... please let me know!

Nate152
While you're changing out the cpu cooler, remove the cpu and inspect the cpu socket for any bent pins in good light with a magnifying glass.

Let us know if updating the bios gets your ram working in slots A2 B2.

Downgrading BIOS to 0806 wasn't successful (as expected), so I reloaded 0906 ... same issue again A1/A2 won't accept anything.
Now I have to boost my self up - after breakfast I'll get in touch with the cooler... wish me luck!

Like I ever say: Breakfast is the most importand meal of the day.

GOTCHA!
It was one of these tiny litle pins at the CPU socket, that chatted with it's neighbor...
After a reprimand it sheepish went back to the place where it belongs.

Conclusion: Booting at A2/B2 without any problems! 😄

Now, let us face the other "problem" - I guess it's not realy a problem now.
How can I activate 3600 MHz at the GSkills? (actually the run at 1800 with XMP enabled).

Darren_Stevens
Level 9
That's great, glad u got it sorted out, Nate was right on the money, under the extreme tweaker tab in the bios, scroll down to Dram frequency & adjust it from there, enjoy 😀*

Thank you very much guys!!
Great community, great assistance!!

All the best to you
Frank

Nate152
Good to see you got your ram working in slots A2 B2.

Let us know how it goes getting your ram to 3600MHz.